TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#121 a.n Other

a.n Other
  • Coach
  • 1,548 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

What I think the RFL should be doing, is getting a collection of stuff for the World Cup and other major events and have a touring museum. If we are serious about getting new fans to the games, from London, Cardiff, Ireland and beyond, let's show them the magnificent history that our game has - I suspect that many would be surprised and impressed!

Think that is a great idea. I know the actual World Cup have been going round host towns and cities. Get a mobile museum set up
in town/city centres etc.

Edited by a.n Other, 04 January 2013 - 10:18 AM.

#122 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,597 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:19 AM

It is a pity that this thread has gone off track a couple of times but maybe we should all look at how we can preserve our heritage.
In an earlier post I gave details of my experiences with regard to this subject and the RFL. I also admonished the RFL administrators of almost twenty years ago who (whatever anybody thinks) made a cods of our centenary celebrations.
HOWEVER that is water under the bridge now and maybe somebody of some standing could pull all our heritage stuff together.
Stevo is massively interested in it all (as are all the other people involved currently at the George). Maybe they, along with the likes of Tony Collins and possibly Martyn Sadler, could spearhead a group to look at various options with regard to an all-encompassing heritage centre.
The current displays are superb but do not cover the entire sport by any means. There are many magnificent private collections out there which if all located in a single place would form a superb museam/heritage centre which could be built on year by year.
It certainly would be nice to fill the George with it all but not essential.
The Soccer museum at Preston was a new building and was centred around one man's private collection (I can't remember his name). This was controversially moved to Manchester in the last year or so and is a major tourist attraction in that City.
Maybe Manchester would be interested in housing a RL collection of similar quality?
I have to admit to being a bit obsessive with my collecting as I won't throw anything whatsover out if there is a RL connection. This has been going on for fifty years now so I am unlikely to stop LOL.
The only club I know with a proper museum type display area is Widnes and I had the pleasure of a tour of that by Deb who runs it. Other clubs have trophy areas, etc and some have bits of displays such as Hall of Fames etc.
Imagine if all this could be replicated in one building - it would be superb for sure.
I think I mentioned earlier that the Lottery Heritage Fund looks the most likely source of funding for such a venture and they down the years have given massive financial backing to some far less deserving ventures. Just a though (or maybe a dream :)).

PS: For once I don't think this is the RFLs responsibility as they have far bigger fish to fry. No reason why some "ordinary people" can't do it though.

Yes. +1.

On your last point I agree, but it would be much easier to co-ordinate a sport-wide project from HQ.

#123 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Think that is a great idea. I know the actual World Cup have been going round host towns and cities. Get a mobile museum set up

I think it would be cheaper and also a great promotional tool. It could be taken to schools, colleges, universities, be stationed at matches, press launches etc.
I think it is a shame that many people are unaware of the history of this great game of ours, there are some fantastic stories to be told.

#124 Southern Tiger

Southern Tiger
  • Coach
  • 461 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

I'm for this idea of a move from Redhall not only from a heritage point of view but also because the significance of the building would enhance the prestige of the Governing body for the sport and seemingly find a true spiritual home and rightful place to operate from. This is a major opportunity for the sport in what is a major year and would bring all the right attention to Rugby League from the media. I really hope they seriously think about this one as the pro's massively outweight the cons IMO.
If you don't like Rugby League, you don't like Rugby

Posted Image

#125 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,735 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

As has been pointed out, at a rough guess the RFL would need to raise about £5 million to buy and renovate the George, plus it would take quite a lot of management time and effort. However, the liquidators, Colliers International said "the heritage centre was separately owned and not part of the sale of the hotel."

#126 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath after the absolute farce that was appointing a trophy tour manager!
Posted Image

#127 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

I wouldn't hold my breath after the absolute farce that was appointing a trophy tour manager!

Why what happened there?

#128 dogga

dogga
  • Coach
  • 344 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Sam.

(Not the fireman, btw.)

sammy morton
union whats that?

#129 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:36 PM

Why what happened there?

My mate applied for the job after it was advertised on the RFL website and got an interview.

They interviewed all day on December 9th at Media City, each one lasted about an hour and included a presentation.

He then heard nothing back from them for a week so assumed he didn't get the job.

The RFL then ring him on December 19th telling my mate that he was their favourite candidate and he pretty much has the job, subject to a few little details that needed ironing out, and they would call him to confirm the following day.

No phone call the following day, or the day after that... My mate then tried ringing them each working day over the holiday period so he knew where he stood and so he could beging preparing for the job.

They then called him back yesterday to tell him that they are now outsourcing the job to an external company.

What an almighty waste of a lot of people's time and resources. Indecision like that must end up costing a fortune!
Posted Image

#130 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

You won't find a bigger defender of the RFL than me, but that whole episode was utterly perplexing.
Posted Image

#131 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,382 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

There's a hotel being built next to the new Wakefield Trinity stadium, it would be a good home for the history of the game.
Wakefield were a founding member of the Northern Union and were in attendance at the George Hotel in 1895, the location of the new stadium is geographically pretty central to the games support base and is right off the M62 and one junction (about 1.5miles) from the M1. Fans travelling to just about any away game will at some point drive past or very near the location and a stop over would be easy and simple.

#132 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

I have never visited the place,alway's intended to and it was/is my intention to visit when I come home in a few months.Hope it gets reopened soon
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#133 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,871 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

On the market for £1.4 million, apparently. Have a look down the back of your sofas!

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#134 Ant

Ant
  • Coach
  • 3,221 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:42 PM

Hmmm are you sure. A number of companies, each with no little commercial nous, have tried and failed to make a going concern of it over the years, hence its recent closure. Hotels, like pubs, are very difficult to make money out of nowadays and they require regular investment to maintain their quality. I don't think that anyone will be rushing to buy this.

(Nor do I think the RFL should touch it with a barge pole.)

The companies that had run it clearly didnt have that much commercial nous since they have all gone belly up.

It might be the George is a commercial venture but the rest of the chain has dragged it under.

However from my observations the companies running it have failed on several key areas:

1. Under investment - decor and services have become dated and worn without replacement, visitors immediately become aware that the hotel has seen better days

2. Price: Ties into 1 slightly but they thought it was a 4* hotel and charged accordingly. Sad fact is the lack of investment meant it wasn't close to that and in my experience neither was the service but they charged a lot to stay there when very close are a dozen hotels with better facilities and lower rates

3. Poor marketing: the George hotel has an utterly unique selling point, yet was it ever involved in sports tours, packages for visiting fans? Accommodation for international touring parties? No. They had something utterly unique and failed to sell it.

Somebody could make the George work very well. I very much doubt it's going to be a chain of hotels no one has heard of though

#135 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,885 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

Last time we were in (March 2011), it was deserted.
We decided to have a sandwich, they took ages to come. The beer (Caffreys) wasn't the best I've had by a long way. No draught cider or bottles. We had to search the place to find a member of staff for the bill, and it was expensive. You could tell it was a place on the way down, which was sad really.

#136 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,749 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

The companies that had run it clearly didnt have that much commercial nous since they have all gone belly up.

It might be the George is a commercial venture but the rest of the chain has dragged it under.

However from my observations the companies running it have failed on several key areas:

1. Under investment - decor and services have become dated and worn without replacement, visitors immediately become aware that the hotel has seen better days

2. Price: Ties into 1 slightly but they thought it was a 4* hotel and charged accordingly. Sad fact is the lack of investment meant it wasn't close to that and in my experience neither was the service but they charged a lot to stay there when very close are a dozen hotels with better facilities and lower rates

3. Poor marketing: the George hotel has an utterly unique selling point, yet was it ever involved in sports tours, packages for visiting fans? Accommodation for international touring parties? No. They had something utterly unique and failed to sell it.

Somebody could make the George work very well. I very much doubt it's going to be a chain of hotels no one has heard of though

There's your opportunity to make a fortune then. With your business acumen it will be a piece of cake.

Where do I send the cheque?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#137 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:55 PM

Are we talking about the RFL using it for offices or running it as an hotel ? :mellow:
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#138 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,347 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:01 PM

Are we talking about the RFL using it for offices or running it as an hotel ? :mellow:

I hope neither.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#139 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,911 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:56 PM

The problem wouldn't be the beds - as someone flippantly said - it'd be that every office had an en suite bathroom.

Not going to happen - don't fret. B)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#140 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:28 PM

The problem wouldn't be the beds - as someone flippantly said - it'd be that every office had an en suite bathroom.

I do hope it isn't me that you are referring <_< because I'm in exactly the opposite of flippant mood :angry: so ner

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users