Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

George Hotel closes - seemingly for good.

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#141 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,704 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:37 AM

How about the Vodaphone/Betfair George Hotel? Insert name of sponsor as required. Thats next years SL sponsor sorted if they will buy the hotel, and the RFL lease it back from the owners.
Then add a building company as a sponsor for free if they will convert it to offices, museum space and an RL themed bar.
Sorted.
However........

#142 Ramite

Ramite
  • Coach
  • 898 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

Even with that type of sponsorship I don't think the sums will stack up.
Homer: How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?

[

i]Mr. Burns: Woah, slow down there maestro. There's a *New* Mexico?[/i]

#143 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

I do hope it isn't me that you are referring <_< because I'm in exactly the opposite of flippant mood :angry: so ner

Dunno - can't be bothered to look .......
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#144 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Even with that type of sponsorship I don't think the sums will stack up.

You are probably correct and that's a shame.

The building itself is a very handsome, granite, stately even, Victorian edifice which projects gravitas, prosperity and importance and is, in fact, the actual birthplace of the sport with a museum already in situ. It would be a much better place to launch press conferences and initiatives and woo sponsors and TV companies than some red brick pile in a field on the outer suburbs of Leeds.

#145 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:14 PM

You are probably correct and that's a shame.

The building itself is a very handsome, granite, stately even, Victorian edifice which projects gravitas, prosperity and importance and is, in fact, the actual birthplace of the sport with a museum already in situ. It would be a much better place to launch press conferences and initiatives and woo sponsors and TV companies than some red brick pile in a field on the outer suburbs of Leeds.

Actually, that's one of the problems with Red Hall. As it's a listed building, the RFL can't alter it much. At Chapeltown Road they had a Council Chamber upstairs where they could fit in thirty-odd folk round a big square of tables. It was a bit of a tight fit but they all got in. Nowadays, they meet at club grounds because none of the rooms are big enough for that.

Anyway - not going to happen. Plumbing's your problem. If only folk would have been happy with sharing a bathroom with the entire floor like they used to in the good old days .......... <_<

#146 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

they could always find room for the centre within the new south stand at headingley in a couple of years time . :)
at least then the super league trophy would have a home for all time instead of been left in the ticket office for years on end :D :D :D

Edited by southstand loiner, 06 January 2013 - 01:45 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#147 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Actually, that's one of the problems with Red Hall. As it's a listed building, the RFL can't alter it much. At Chapeltown Road they had a Council Chamber upstairs where they could fit in thirty-odd folk round a big square of tables. It was a bit of a tight fit but they all got in. Nowadays, they meet at club grounds because none of the rooms are big enough for that.

Anyway - not going to happen. Plumbing's your problem. If only folk would have been happy with sharing a bathroom with the entire floor like they used to in the good old days .......... <_<

In the really good old days in Thorne, I had to go outside in February and cross a yard in my PJs to get to the outside toilet. Wonderful memories.

#148 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,800 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

In the really good old days in Thorne, I had to go outside in February and cross a yard in my PJs to get to the outside toilet. Wonderful memories.

Just in February ? I'd have thought that was the most likely time for it to be frozen up.

Jeez - I can remember earth closets. They were fun. :wacko:

#149 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,587 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Just in February ? I'd have thought that was the most likely time for it to be frozen up.

Jeez - I can remember earth closets. They were fun. :wacko:

FROZEN UP ! FROZEN UP!. Its a wonder the equipment didnt get brittle and fall off :wacko: . This was before global warming and that fog that rolled in from Goole, omg it was cold. I told you the good old days were better.