Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Pinks this Sunday at Barton?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 wayne_r

wayne_r
  • Coach
  • 382 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Oh - was it as bad as the score suggests ?

#22 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Oh - was it as bad as the score suggests ?

Pretty much. Salford hardly got out of second gear throughout and had they been in a ruthless mood it could've been a lot more on the "against" column. Broughton was head and shoulders the best player on the pitch - the word is that he'll be on his way to Warrington shortly.

Disappointing gate in the circumstances of below 2,000, hardly the numbers to convince a potential new investor in Salford Reds that Super League is viable at Barton. Some nice ladies were selling cup cakes outside the ground to raise funds, which I'm sure will make a big dent in the circa £1.5m per annum black hole in the finances and almost £2m in existing debts.

The traffic to get away was horrendous, it must be a total nightmare with anything above 5,000 on.

The ground is poorly designed atmosphere-wise with the West Stand having a roof higher than a cathedral and the other 3 sides just having low rise sheds - any crowd noise just evapourates. Comes back to the ridiculous notion that they will expand the capacity to 20,000 at some stage I guess. It would've been far better to have a lower-scale West Stand and less of a drop off to the other areas.

Have to say I'm pleased the Lions aren't playing home matches there. LSV is far superior.

A couple of the Lions forwards showed some promise, Ainscough put in some nice touches, but there was no penetration. The two Lions tries that came, plus a third that was disallowed a shade harshly, were directly on the back of Salford handling errors.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#23 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:55 PM

The ground is poorly designed atmosphere-wise with the West Stand having a roof higher than a cathedral and the other 3 sides just having low rise sheds - any crowd noise just evapourates. Comes back to the ridiculous notion that they will expand the capacity to 20,000 at some stage I guess. It would've been far better to have a lower-scale West Stand and less of a drop off to the other areas.

Totally agree with your views Phill on how the stadium is poorly designed with one huge great stand (west) and three other stands little more than flimsy low lying sheds. As you said, it would have been far better to have the east stand larger and the main (west) stand less imposing. The ground may acquire some degree of atmosphere given time but at the moment is largely bland and soulless.

#24 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:41 AM

Totally agree with your views Phill on how the stadium is poorly designed with one huge great stand (west) and three other stands little more than flimsy low lying sheds. As you said, it would have been far better to have the east stand larger and the main (west) stand less imposing. The ground may acquire some degree of atmosphere given time but at the moment is largely bland and soulless.

But for the lack of an athletics track, its currently almost as bad for (lack of) atmosphere as the South Leeds Stadium.

The planners have got a LOT to answer for.

Halliwell Jones, LSV, Langtree Park are all far better templates to follow.

#25 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

I like an athletics track around some stadiums
If the match is boring I often imagine myself winning the 400m against Michael Johnson.
I thought Salfords ground was fine...I enjoyed my visit...the staff made a great effort to ensure my dad had disabled access.
Then again I liked the willows and I like lsv too
Im quite easy to please. .I like smiling and being positive and being happy.
Life is good if you let it be.

#26 pc6090

pc6090
  • Players
  • 41 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:22 PM

But for the lack of an athletics track, its currently almost as bad for (lack of) atmosphere as the South Leeds Stadium.

The planners have got a LOT to answer for.

Halliwell Jones, LSV, Langtree Park are all far better templates to follow.

but it looks good from the motorway, thats whats important

#27 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

I like an athletics track around some stadiums
If the match is boring I often imagine myself winning the 400m against Michael Johnson.
I thought Salfords ground was fine...I enjoyed my visit...the staff made a great effort to ensure my dad had disabled access.
Then again I liked the willows and I like lsv too
Im quite easy to please. .I like smiling and being positive and being happy.
Life is good if you let it be.

Keep taking the prozac, its obviously working.

#28 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,031 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:16 PM

Dont even need paracetamol
Rude rude rude!

#29 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:19 PM

Keep taking the prozac, its obviously working.

Why would he be taking Prozac...Mr Richardson seem very happy indeed.

I do hope your not trying to bully him phil.!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users