Sponsors

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
100 replies to this topic

#41 Grinner

Grinner
  • Coach
  • 452 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

It says something about the screwed-up way this country perceives sport - we could end up getting substantially more money by being bundled in with a sport that gets far fewer viewers.

"We" won't get any more money, this is only about the sponsorship of Sky's programmes, so all the money simply goes to them. Which is a bit bizzare in some way, I mean last year you could easily belive that Irn Bru was the superleage sponsor if you only watched it on telly.

#42 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

You need to remember that the alternative to the Stobart deal was a derisory one-off payment from a betting company. There wasn't much of a choice to make, and fans would have been dissatisfied with either.

Personally, I believe the Stobart deal was the better of the two overall, but that doesn't make it great.

Rugby League isn't chasing the vast amounts that Football, F1, Golf, Tennis etc. would be looking for - let's hope the guy trying to make the deals has used his contacts and gets something decent. And that whoever does offer sponsorship never visits this website and reads the inevitable negativity. Ever.

Not being negative Futtocks.
I realise its hard to get a good Sponsor when the previous year you sold the rights for pretty well nothing tangible, just something "in kind" that being some moving Trailer billboards up and down the Motorway.
Surely there is a Company that does plenty of business in the heartland of the game as well as Nationally that wants to raise their profile but can not pay the mega bucks for Football but can and will pay a fair deal for a game like Rugby League.
Is the state of affairs that bad in the UK with the GFC?

#43 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:49 AM

I've always thought that one of the big four supermarkets would be a good fit for Super League,especially with Asda and Morrisons being northern based.

Incidentally,the more Sky get from a sponsor,the more they are able/likely to pay for the television rights.

#44 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:06 AM

there could always be a bonus if the company taking both union and league (if this option does actually exist) has some way of identifying where the extra income comes from, that this company sees League as a better fit for their product when the numbers are worked through at the end of the seasons.. could be a change in perception and like it or not perception is hugeul important.

#45 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

We could always ask Rory McIllroy to sponsor RL. ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#46 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I've always thought that one of the big four supermarkets would be a good fit for Super League,especially with Asda and Morrisons being northern based.

Incidentally,the more Sky get from a sponsor,the more they are able/likely to pay for the television rights.

Hmm, I'd stay away from the Bradford forums if Morrisons were ever announced as Super League title sponsors.

I'm sure I heard something about Co-op expanding their sponsorship to be title sponsors of SL as well as the Championships. Obviously nothing has come of that yet though

Edited by Amber Avenger, 15 January 2013 - 10:28 AM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#47 Yakstorm

Yakstorm
  • Coach
  • 594 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Just playing devil's advocate, and I will put it out there that I'm not based in the UK, so naturally there maybe other factors that are at play here, but from what I remember seeing from the Stobart truck designs, the most obvious 'call to action' was for people to watch Super League on Sky Sports. Now Super League recorded a massive increase in TV viewing on Sky last year, which was significantly larger than any 'natural' growth, and considering no other KPI's grew by numbers anything near to the TV figures (Sponsorship, Membership, Crowds, Merchandise), it does raise the question, what caused such a major major spike?

Now I understand Monday Night coverage contributed a bit to that number, but even the other (more traditional) broadcast spots enjoyed significant growth this year. Could the Stobart subliminal messaging actually played a bigger part than we're giving them credit for?
Posted Image

#48 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Hmm, I'd stay away from the Bradford forums if Morrisons were ever announced as Super League title sponsors.

I'm sure I heard something about Co-op expanding their sponsorship to be title sponsors of SL as well as the Championships. Obviously nothing has come of that yet though

Well Co-Op would be a logical company to approach for expanded sponsorship. Already involved in the sport, a household name across the nation, based in the north, with a range of activities including a financial services arm which is expanding significantly its retail banking division.

#49 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:00 AM

Just playing devil's advocate, and I will put it out there that I'm not based in the UK, so naturally there maybe other factors that are at play here, but from what I remember seeing from the Stobart truck designs, the most obvious 'call to action' was for people to watch Super League on Sky Sports. Now Super League recorded a massive increase in TV viewing on Sky last year, which was significantly larger than any 'natural' growth, and considering no other KPI's grew by numbers anything near to the TV figures (Sponsorship, Membership, Crowds, Merchandise), it does raise the question, what caused such a major major spike?

Now I understand Monday Night coverage contributed a bit to that number, but even the other (more traditional) broadcast spots enjoyed significant growth this year. Could the Stobart subliminal messaging actually played a bigger part than we're giving them credit for?

I often thought that as and when I saw a SL branded Stobart truck, it was more like an advert for Sky Sports than anything else. Anyone know whether the images will remain on the trucks until they are withdrawn from service (ie will the sport continue to get free on the road advertising0 or are Stobart going to relivery them in their own colours?

#50 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

Well Co-Op would be a logical company to approach for expanded sponsorship. Already involved in the sport, a household name across the nation, based in the north, with a range of activities including a financial services arm which is expanding significantly its retail banking division.

And ethically sound, too.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#51 bramleyrhino

bramleyrhino
  • Players
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:18 PM

Rumour has it that they might be the new sponsor of Super League.

#52 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Rumour has it that they might be the new sponsor of Super League.

Hope so, I already give up part of my "divvi" to commnunity sports because some of it goes to Rugby

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#53 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:25 PM

Why does it stink? It makes absolutely no difference whatsoever.

Because a sponsor is willing to sponsor union on Sky but not a sport with a bigger viewing audience i.e. they want it for free.

As I also pointed out it makes absolutely no difference to the money we as a sport get or to the viewer who will never notice.

I just wish sponsors were falling over themselves to sponsor it on Sky; it would make our bargaining position so very much stronger.

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#54 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,370 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

I've read that the challenge cup has a sponsor and the announcement is imminent - fantastic :)

However, the news I received last night really ticked me off. As far as I understand, we are still to announce sponsorship deals for the WC2013, the SL and the Championships - what I don't understand is the Sky sponsorship for SL. Excuse my ignorance, but is that two separate deals i.e. the RFL will get a sponsor for SL and Sky will have their own for TV advertising. Call me thick for not knowing, I've heard worse -_-

Anyway, I was told that (allegedly-get that in just in case) Sky have been offering a BOGOF with SL - sponsor their union coverage and the RL comes free. I can comes to terms with the fact that the economic climate makes it tougher than ever. I can come to terms with having to package us with other deals...but the bit that sticks in my craw is bandying us about free and with union

Sky have been struggling to find a sponsor for F1 since Santander pulled out after 1 year.
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

#55 my missus

my missus
  • Coach
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:39 PM

sky's f1 channel will be next to go, no viewers.

What does it mean
This tearjerking scene
Beamed into my home
That it moves me so much
Why all the fuss
It's only two humans being.

#56 jannerboyuk

jannerboyuk
  • Coach
  • 4,994 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Sky have been struggling to find a sponsor for F1 since Santander pulled out after 1 year.

thats a surprise just shows how tough times are
PROUD TO BE A MEMBER OF http://www.rugbyleaguecares.org/ and http://www.walesrugb...-wales-for-2013
Predictions for the future -
Crusaders RL to get a franchise for 2012 onwards -WRONG
Widnes Vikings also to get a franchise - RIGHT
Crusaders RL to do the double over Widnes and finish five places ahead of them -WRONG
Widnes Vikings NOT to dominate rugby league in years to come! STILL TO COME

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/cardiffdemonsrlfc/
http://www.walesrugbyleague.co.uk/

I promise to pay �10 to the charity of Bomb Jacks choice if Widnes Millionaires finish above the battling underdogs Crusaders RL. I OWE A TENNER!
http://www.jaxaxe.co...89/Default.aspx

#57 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Because a sponsor is willing to sponsor union on Sky but not a sport with a bigger viewing audience i.e. they want it for free.

As I also pointed out it makes absolutely no difference to the money we as a sport get or to the viewer who will never notice.

I just wish sponsors were falling over themselves to sponsor it on Sky; it would make our bargaining position so very much stronger.

Problem is its not all about figures its about who those figures are made up of and are they your target audience ..

yep it would be great to have sponsors falling over themselves but i dont think that is happening to many sports to be honest..

#58 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,893 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

Problem is its not all about figures its about who those figures are made up of and are they your target audience ..

And how big a sport's media profile makes that sport look, regardless of figures. Sponsors are human, and can be swayed by the newspapers they read.

By that particular measure, Rugby League barely exists.

#59 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,168 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

There's an announcement on Tuesday and then the rest in the fortnight until kick-off.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#60 moorman

moorman
  • Players
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

RFL `Forced Into a Corner` in Sponsorship Chase

In Todays Edition of Running Rugby Magazine

Just two weeks to go before the start of the rugby league season and the identity of the new sponsors of the Super Leagueand Challenge Cup have still to be revealed.

Running Rugby understands that theRugby Football League (RFL) will make some form of announcement within the next week but the continuing uncertainty so close to the start of the season is leading to questions being asked about their sponsorship strategy.

It’s six months since it was made known that the Super League agreement with the Stobart Group (the haulage company was given title sponsorship status without paying a penny in return because it offered free exposure on its fleet of trucks) would finish after just one season but we are no closer to finding out which entity will take over the branding.

Potential riches from betting giant Betfair were passed over a year ago in what has become widely regarded as a strategic error which would appear to have had a knock-on effect on subsequent negotiations. A source has told Running Rugby that companies who have seen the RFL settle for a non-monetised deal are unwilling to commit to the kind of sums the governing body is chasing and therefore potential sponsors are stretching talks closer and closer to deadline.

Engage Mutual Assurance, who backed the Super League for seven seasons, were reported to have paid over one million pounds per season when their deal concluded in 2011.

“When a company and a rights-holder enter into negotiations for a sponsorship deal they both need to ask themselves where would the partnership fit into their values and mission statements. Quite apart from the structure of the deal, Stobart was never really a good fit for rugby league,” an industry insider told Running Rugby.

“Normally sponsorship deals are sorted out well in advance of the new financial year so companies know the commitment they are making not just for that year but usually for a three-year programme. January/February is really a bit late. There is sometimes a window just before March if companies are looking for tax relief but it doesn’t happen very often.”

Engage were the longest-running sponsors of Super League, with their predecessors being Stones Bitter (1996-97), JJB Sports (1998-99) andTetley’s Bitter (2000-2005).

We are also still waiting for news on sponsorships for the Challenge Cup – plus partnerships for the forthcoming World Cup.

Rugby League’s family-friendly image, fast-paced action, community values and TV exposure, with deals running through to 2016 with both BSKyB and theBBC, would appear to be trump cards to put on the negotiating table but no agreement has been found.

James Mercer, the RFL’s commercial director who joined the organisation in April, told Running Rugby in October that there is “lots of interest from a lot of different brands” and that there would be “a string of announcements to make before the end of the year (2012).”

It appears that companies are pushing the RFL to the brink before reaching any agreement.

The industry insider added: “There will be a lot of tough questions asked: `What do we get out of it? Will any deal be of a high enough profile? What kind of kudos would we gain from it? What is the right level of expenditure?` The RFL seems to have been pushed into a corner.

“Companies will be doing their research not into what rugby league can do for them, but how their involvement would impact on their business. In a recession it would be a tough deal to crack.”

Sponsor-less major sporting properties are few and far between, and normally they are left without a title backer for a firm strategic reason. Wimbledon, The Open and Royal Ascot do so because their brand heritage is so strong and there is a feeling that a lack of a title sponsor keeps the events `special`. At a push, the RFL could get away with this for the Challenge Cup – undoubtedly the most historic British club competition in either code – with its Wembley final covered on terrestrial television by the BBC providing a valuable point of difference.

Football’s UEFA Champions League has a small family of partners who are said to provide many more millions than would be forthcoming from one over-arching sponsor. This is a view that the RFL could take for Super League if no agreement can be found with a single sponsor, and it is the strategy being aimed at for the World Cup.

The RFL could cut and run without a title sponsor but, aside from the lack of finance, the perceived view from the outside of a competition unable to tie down a major brand name would seem to be a backward step.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users