Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#181 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

The words dignity and Australia don't go together,unfortunately.

Thats a very short sided comment, have you met every single Australian, I disagree with the Sinfield decision but I haven't made any backhanded remarks about English people, so whoes the nationality that lacks Dignity here.

Edited by 1jordy, 05 January 2013 - 03:32 PM.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#182 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:31 PM

Double Post.

Edited by 1jordy, 05 January 2013 - 03:31 PM.

#183 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I've praised the likes of Hall, Charnley, Tomkins in my posts, don't see how im being anti English and even said I wouldn't have complained if Tomkins won it especially for his Four Nations performances last year and his solid domestic season, Sinfield I do have an issue with, the wrong Englishmen won it, a back three of Hall, Charnley and Tomkins would put fear into any defence if you ask me, I never said you don't have quality in your side, I just don't rate Sinfield.

Yet you don't have the dignity to congratulate Sinfield,even if you don't agree with him winning.That says a lot about you.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 05 January 2013 - 03:33 PM.

Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#184 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Thats a very short sided comment, have you met every single Australian, I disagree with the Sinfield decision but I haven't made any backhanded remarks about English people, so whoes the nationality that lacks Dignity here.

Judging by the lack of class and dignity shown recently by the Australian media and Australian posters on various social media sites,it seems a fairly common trait amongst our Antipodean cousins.

#185 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

Yet you don't have the dignity to congratulate Sinfield,even if you don't agree with him winning.That says a lot about you.

I've seen many English people on this forum, most actually disagree with the decision, do those English people lack Dignity?

#186 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

I've seen many English people on this forum, most actually disagree with the decision, do those English people lack Dignity?

Yes.
I and I'm sure many others have always been told "good manners cost nothing".Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not to congratulate someone on an award,any award,is in my view pretty poor.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 05 January 2013 - 03:38 PM.

#187 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,258 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Yes.

In YOUR opinion!

#188 jacksy

jacksy
  • Coach
  • 279 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

So - of all the major awards he was eligible for this year:

Leeds Player of the year - nope (Ryan Hall)
SL Dream Team 6 or 13 - nope (Finch and O'Loughlin)
Man of Steel - Nope (not even shortlisted)
World XIII 6 or 13 - Nope (Thurston and Gallen)

Golden Boot - best player in the world - YEP!!!

Madness.

I do need to caveat that this is nothing to do with disliking Leeds (I feel quite the opposite), thinking all the NRL players are better, or being bitter about him playing a blinder in the Grand Final - simply that I don't think he has been anywhere near the best player in the World this year, and neither do the panels of the other major awards that I quoted.

FWIW - I don't always agree with who gets the award - isn't that the interesting thing about these - but I would absolutely like to congratulate him on the award.

Spot on Dave T
This award also means that Macbanana will continue to believe Sinfield is our halfback saviour in the WC

Edited by jacksy, 05 January 2013 - 03:40 PM.

Rugby Union the only game in the world were the spectators handle the ball more than the players.

#189 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:38 PM

In YOUR opinion!

Read my modified post.

#190 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Judging by the lack of class and dignity shown recently by the Australian media and Australian posters on various social media sites,it seems a fairly common trait amongst our Antipodean cousins.

So the Aussie media speak for every citizen do they, I completely disagree with some of the things being written, headlines like "Kevin Who" are disrespectful, I watched the Super league on Euro Sport in Australia so I can accurately compare Sinfield to the other nominees and he isn't at their level, simple as that, when Manchester United win something do everyone congratulate them and their players for their accomplishment, no.. they hate them even more.

#191 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

Yes.
I and I'm sure many others have always been told "good manners cost nothing".Everyone is entitled to their own opinions but not to congratulate someone on an award,any award,is in my view pretty poor.

I congratulate people when they deserve it, I don't think he deserves it, 1 good game shouldn't count for the entire year in which he was inconsistent throughout it

#192 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,267 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

So the Aussie media speak for every citizen do they, I completely disagree with some of the things being written, headlines like "Kevin Who" are disrespectful, I watched the Super league on Euro Sport in Australia so I can accurately compare Sinfield to the other nominees and he isn't at their level, simple as that, when Manchester United win something do everyone congratulate them and their players for their accomplishment, no.. they hate them even more.

And you still don't have the class or grace to congratulate,only denigrate.

#193 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

And you still don't have the class or grace to congratulate,only denigrate.

Im sure Kevin is clammering for my congratulations....., like I said if they gave it to someone that deserves it like a Tomkins, I would be the first to congratulate.

#194 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

Hey if they gave it to Sam Tomkins last year I would have had no complaints because he is a tremendous player and did have some great performances against New Zealand aswell as a tremendous Domestic year where he actually played well throughout most of the yell not just in parts, I just don't hold Kevin Sinfield in that same regard, can he be great when he shows up on the day, yes he had a great grand final albeit a poor Cup Final, but does he do it week in week out like a Smith, like a Hall, I don't think so, he just doesn't have the quality that they do, if he is such a great player why did he not even make the Super League team of the year?

Sinfield is not big, not fast and not particularly elusive. So why would he ever come into consideration for this award. What does he do that is so good.?

Well he does many things well and the sum of the parts is a great player.

He is versatile, he can play halfback, loose forward or hooker ( in fact when he played hooker for England he was better than when he played halfback)

He can launch long passes to put his wings or other outside backs into space or he can gave sublime little short passes to put forwards through the gaps.

He also has the ability to back up other players and finish off moves with a try ( who else thought to support Ablett for his try in the grand final, he came from nowhere to finish off that move.)

He can and does tackle effectivley.

His kicking game is a major weapon in his arsenal. He launches cross field kicks to he corner that allow Hall to be as good as he is, he launches high bombs that paralyse the opposition defenders as again was typified by the kick that Ablett claimed when he put Sinfield in to score in the grand final. His goalkicking is extraordinary and it is still an integral part of the game. His accuracy won the semi final against Wigan as well as a drop goal at a critical point in the game and cemented the win against Warrington by putting the score out of reach.

He gets up off the floor and refuses to be intimidated as in the final. In the semi final he also received some heavy tackles. In that game Leeds were away at the league leaders and appeared to have a game plan of pinning Wigan in their own half with kicks and pushing the score along on scraps, goals, drop goals and he was the captain, the on field general for the coach and also the kicker and he executed the game plan perfectly to pull off the shock victory.

His leadership skills have been mentioned and he is the glue that molds that very good Leeds team together. He has taken a team of mostly British players and beaten the best the game has to offer in the UK for 5 out of the last 6 years.

He has done all this with a physique and speed of Mr Everyman. To me, a players player and a leader of men. He deserves the honour
for his all around accomplishments. The complete player.

THIS ONE!
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#195 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,700 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Noone has met every single Australian,but a lot of us have that opinion of their character.Just like you said that Australian Journos are idiots.Just like you dont rate Sinfield.You rate charnley and Hall higher in any degree of the game than Sinfield?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#196 Martyn Sadler

Martyn Sadler

League Publications Ltd

• 2,837 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Sinfield is not big, not fast and not particularly elusive. So why would he ever come into consideration for this award. What does he do that is so good.?

Well he does many things well and the sum of the parts is a great player.

He is versatile, he can play halfback, loose forward or hooker ( in fact when he played hooker for England he was better than when he played halfback)

He can launch long passes to put his wings or other outside backs into space or he can gave sublime little short passes to put forwards through the gaps.

He also has the ability to back up other players and finish off moves with a try ( who else thought to support Ablett for his try in the grand final, he came from nowhere to finish off that move.)

He can and does tackle effectivley.

His kicking game is a major weapon in his arsenal. He launches cross field kicks to he corner that allow Hall to be as good as he is, he launches high bombs that paralyse the opposition defenders as again was typified by the kick that Ablett claimed when he put Sinfield in to score in the grand final. His goalkicking is extraordinary and it is still an integral part of the game. His accuracy won the semi final against Wigan as well as a drop goal at a critical point in the game and cemented the win against Warrington by putting the score out of reach.

He gets up off the floor and refuses to be intimidated as in the final. In the semi final he also received some heavy tackles. In that game Leeds were away at the league leaders and appeared to have a game plan of pinning Wigan in their own half with kicks and pushing the score along on scraps, goals, drop goals and he was the captain, the on field general for the coach and also the kicker and he executed the game plan perfectly to pull off the shock victory.

His leadership skills have been mentioned and he is the glue that molds that very good Leeds team together. He has taken a team of mostly British players and beaten the best the game has to offer in the UK for 5 out of the last 6 years.

He has done all this with a physique and speed of Mr Everyman. To me, a players player and a leader of men. He deserves the honour
for his all around accomplishments. The complete player.

That's a very good post. Sinfield's performance against Wigan in the play-off semi-final was probably an even greater indication of his greatness than his Grand Final performance.

It's been a very good debate on here, and I am perfectly happy with people expressing contrary opinions. That's what debate is all about.

A lot of people have said, correctly, that Sinfield didn't make the Dream Team.

But that is determined by the way the Dream Team is selected, and by the fact that Sinfield qualifies theoretically for two positions.

If the voters were asked to vote on a captain first of all, before picking the other 12 members of the Dream Team, then Kevin Sinfield would, I'm sure, have been the first player selected every year for the past ten years.

Cameron Smith is also a great player, who shares many qualities, as a captain and as a player, with Sinfield.

But this season the sum of Sinfield's parts just shaded the other candidates.

I'll be writing much more on this in my column in Monday's League Express.

#197 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

Noone has met every single Australian,but a lot of us have that opinion of their character.Just like you said that Australian Journos are idiots.Just like you dont rate Sinfield.You rate charnley and Hall higher in any degree of the game than Sinfield?

Impossible to compare as they play completely different positions, in terms of general class and ability, yes they're above Sinfield, I look at the skill of consistency very highly, Charnley was an absolute machine pretty much week in week out, look at all the tries he scored, we all know about Hall, Sinfield had a inconsistent Regular season, a poor cup final but did have a great Grand Final, the award shouldn't be give to someone based on one game albeit a great performance it should include rep games and the season as a whole, I can compare Sinfield and Smith because they play halves/play making positions, most Dummy halves are capable of playing 6 and 7, considering alot of Englishmen on this forum have admitted that Sinfield isn't the best in the world I don't get why this has to be about Australians, I haven't resorted to insulting Englishmen just because I disagree with some of your opinions, if your going to insult us insult your own citizens as well because alot of you have argued against this decision, someone before said I have been disrespectful because I didn't congratulate Kevin for winning this award, so not congratulating someone for an award he probably shouldn't have won is more disrespectful than insulting an entire country, have I got that right, just checking...

Edited by 1jordy, 05 January 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#198 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,461 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:09 PM

That's a very good post. Sinfield's performance against Wigan in the play-off semi-final was probably an even greater indication of his greatness than his Grand Final performance.

It's been a very good debate on here, and I am perfectly happy with people expressing contrary opinions. That's what debate is all about.

A lot of people have said, correctly, that Sinfield didn't make the Dream Team.

But that is determined by the way the Dream Team is selected, and by the fact that Sinfield qualifies theoretically for two positions.

If the voters were asked to vote on a captain first of all, before picking the other 12 members of the Dream Team, then Kevin Sinfield would, I'm sure, have been the first player selected every year for the past ten years.

Cameron Smith is also a great player, who shares many qualities, as a captain and as a player, with Sinfield.

But this season the sum of Sinfield's parts just shaded the other candidates.

I'll be writing much more on this in my column in Monday's League Express.

Why not just post it here Martin then we won't need to buy it.

:rolleyes:
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#199 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,134 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:19 PM

Hey if they gave it to Sam Tomkins last year I would have had no complaints because he is a tremendous player and did have some great performances against New Zealand aswell as a tremendous Domestic year where he actually played well throughout most of the yell not just in parts, I just don't hold Kevin Sinfield in that same regard, can he be great when he shows up on the day, yes he had a great grand final albeit a poor Cup Final, but does he do it week in week out like a Smith, like a Hall, I don't think so, he just doesn't have the quality that they do, if he is such a great player why did he not even make the Super League team of the year?

I've a lot of time for Tomkins, however the one occasion last season when I saw him play for his club, at Fev, he was ######. Especially under the high ball, and his behaviour at Wembley in 2011 was outrageous.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#200 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,426 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:25 PM

The words dignity and Australia don't go together,unfortunately.

The same could be said of the English/Brits. The arrogance of a number of Brits/English is just the same as some Aussie Journos on certain things as can be seen on this forum at times...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users