Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#201 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

A lot of people have said, correctly, that Sinfield didn't make the Dream Team.

But that is determined by the way the Dream Team is selected, and by the fact that Sinfield qualifies theoretically for two positions.

If the voters were asked to vote on a captain first of all, before picking the other 12 members of the Dream Team, then Kevin Sinfield would, I'm sure, have been the first player selected every year for the past ten years.

Cameron Smith is also a great player, who shares many qualities, as a captain and as a player, with Sinfield.

But this season the sum of Sinfield's parts just shaded the other candidates.

You have said its for the WHOLE season. But Sinfield was average at best for the early part of the year through till August. He only started to come good after. Many Leeds fans were saying Sinfield looked slow and needed a rest around July time if you look on their fan forum. Sinfield was average at Wembley in the cup. He finished like Leeds on fire and rightly deserves the accolades for that. But there is no way Sinfield can be called to have a great season from start to finish like Smith or even Cronk did. You look at Smith and Cronk and virtually every game they played they was playing top rugby. Thats why Melbourne finished second. It was only the Origin Series that saw Melbourne Struggle usually when Smith, Cronk and Slater was not there or were backing up and looked jaded. Cam Smith and Cronk were consistant and at a much higher standard than SInfield was throughout the WHOLE season. The reasons you have stated why Sinfield was better than Smith for me, just look weak. It looks more like you wanted Sinfield to win the award, more from what he has achieved over many seasons rather than this one.

#202 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

That takes the biscuit good and proper.As others have stated also 'Good luck to Sinfield for the award' but if I live to be a hundred I really do not think that I will see a more misguided award of any kind, ever, given than this.

Sinfield is, as stated by me so often, a very good club player and that is as far as his ability stretches.
I do admire Kevin's personable attitude and from what I have witnessed I could imagine that he will be more embarassed than pleased to have been awarded this honour when he makes a personal comparison with such as; Cameron Smith, Jonathon Thurston, Billy Slater, etc, etc etc............I am dumbfounded but I suspect not as much as is one Kevin Sinfield!!

#203 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:06 PM

It's an opinion that 90% of people even most English people agree on based on the comments I've read on here, when Sinfield decides to show up to a game against Australia and not be a complete waste of space than I might change my opinion, thank you for taking time out of your day and replying to my irrelevant opinion.

are you saying that only 10% of the posters on this thread think sinfield deserves the award ?
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#204 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,620 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:24 PM

There are not many of us on this forum and we don't get paid. The Aussie 'journalists' mentioned on here get paid to reflect or form the opinions of their hundreds of thousands of readers. Thus they are seen as representative of Aussies as a whole. These journos dish it out but seemingly, we are not expected to criticise in return.

Edited by JohnM, 05 January 2013 - 10:24 PM.

#205 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:27 PM

That's a very good post. Sinfield's performance against Wigan in the play-off semi-final was probably an even greater indication of his greatness than his Grand Final performance.

It's been a very good debate on here, and I am perfectly happy with people expressing contrary opinions. That's what debate is all about.

A lot of people have said, correctly, that Sinfield didn't make the Dream Team.

But that is determined by the way the Dream Team is selected, and by the fact that Sinfield qualifies theoretically for two positions.

If the voters were asked to vote on a captain first of all, before picking the other 12 members of the Dream Team, then Kevin Sinfield would, I'm sure, have been the first player selected every year for the past ten years.

Cameron Smith is also a great player, who shares many qualities, as a captain and as a player, with Sinfield.

But this season the sum of Sinfield's parts just shaded the other candidates.

I'll be writing much more on this in my column in Monday's League Express.

Just out of interest Martyn, who was on the Panel to decide the Golden Boot award winner?

Cheers

#206 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:01 AM

Big Sam Burgess has a say on the Golden Boot.

<iframe src ="http://video.dailyte...?player=narrow" width="330" height="365" frameborder="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no"><p><a href="http://video.dailyte...-win-51">VIDEO: Burgess defends Sinfield's Golden Boot win (5/1)</a></p></iframe>

#207 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:20 AM

I congratulate people when they deserve it, I don't think he deserves it, 1 good game shouldn't count for the entire year in which he was inconsistent throughout it

If you were playing the whole season with a broken wrist like he did some days the pain would get to you and lead to some inconsistency. Are you sure that it was Sinfield who was inconsistent and not the rest of the Leeds team who lost their form and drive.

#208 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,823 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:34 AM

I've a lot of time for Tomkins, however the one occasion last season when I saw him play for his club, at Fev, he was ######. Especially under the high ball, and his behaviour at Wembley in 2011 was outrageous.

This is taking the thread off topic a bit but Tomkins problems under a high ball are so regular and pervasive that he could be a liability in the WC. The fact that he plays for a dominant team domestically at Wigan probably minimises his faults there as they are rarely under intense pressure but it is a definite weaknes in his game and the Aussies will be playing on that.

#209 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,847 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:30 AM

You have said its for the WHOLE season. But Sinfield was average at best for the early part of the year through till August. He only started to come good after. Many Leeds fans were saying Sinfield looked slow and needed a rest around July time if you look on their fan forum. Sinfield was average at Wembley in the cup. He finished like Leeds on fire and rightly deserves the accolades for that. But there is no way Sinfield can be called to have a great season from start to finish like Smith or even Cronk did. You look at Smith and Cronk and virtually every game they played they was playing top rugby. Thats why Melbourne finished second. It was only the Origin Series that saw Melbourne Struggle usually when Smith, Cronk and Slater was not there or were backing up and looked jaded. Cam Smith and Cronk were consistant and at a much higher standard than SInfield was throughout the WHOLE season. The reasons you have stated why Sinfield was better than Smith for me, just look weak. It looks more like you wanted Sinfield to win the award, more from what he has achieved over many seasons rather than this one.

Absolutely spot on.

People arguing a case for Sinfield seem to ignore the general points which are to do with what has happened on the pitch.

People backing him up don't seem to argue the individual points on why people think others should of won.

If you take out the grand final out of the equation then there is actually barely an argument.

#210 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,432 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

News flash. 11 pages of who should've won and why !!

Sinfield did win it!! End of.

Yes it's a forum and opinions are given, but FFS Sinfield is English, this is an English driven forum, so lets be pound and sing it out loud.

#211 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:12 AM

The australians reaction to this is hilarious, talk about bitter little whingeing insular plums. The disgust at someone not from the mystical nrl winning it shows just how pathetic they can be.

#212 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

Just out of interest Martyn, who was on the Panel to decide the Golden Boot award winner?

Cheers

Every few years the Poms get a result against the Aussies. The Aussies then blame the adjudicators. Thats sport, be sporting

#213 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

If you take out the grand final out of the equation then there is actually barely an argument.

Thers a long list of Sinny's achievements throughout the duration of the 2012 season a few pages back

#214 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

when Sinfield decides to show up to a game against Australia and not be a complete waste of space than I might change my opinion,

This is priceless

The ARL is pretty slow im its invitations so the only games Sinny gets to prove himself against Aussies is the WCC played in England. Count his medals.

Or, like the WCC, is the Golden Boot not important unless an Aussie wins?

#215 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

question on the award itself .
is it for the best player in the world or the player of most importance to a team because the best player is not always the most important player to a team

#216 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

question on the award itself .
is it for the best player in the world or the player of most importance to a team because the best player is not always the most important player to a team

i think this is the issue. Rightly or wrongly (im not sure how its officially described) but this award has always been seen as the best player in the world this year.
Just like the Ballon D'or in football. They dont seem to have an issue giving it to Messi three years on the bounce now whereas there does appear to be an element of politics with this award in sharing it out. Im not sure if anybody has won it twice.

#217 dkw

dkw
  • Workington
  • 4,434 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Isnt it given for "achievements/performances In rugby league" or something like that.

#218 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

Isnt it given for "achievements/performances In rugby league" or something like that.

thats my point what is it for because as i say the best player couldwell be a winger but he is never going to be the most important player

#219 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

This is priceless

The ARL is pretty slow im its invitations so the only games Sinny gets to prove himself against Aussies is the WCC played in England. Count his medals.

Or, like the WCC, is the Golden Boot not important unless an Aussie wins?

If Australian clubs took the WCC seriously, why would they play the game during their preseason where the players aren't fit yet and haven't gelled as a team yet, don't get me started on the ridiculous 24 hour trip to even play the game in a completely different climate, play the game during both the NRL and Super League seasons on Neutral territory then I might take it seriously, this isn't about England or Australia this is about the BEST player in the world which i take to mean the best all round FOOTBALLER 'the fact that he didn't even make the Super League team of the year or even win the Leeds player of the year awards backs up my statement that he isn't the best, a statement that the majority of English citizens on this forum have agreed on, as ive said about 5 times, if Tomkins won it especially last year I would have had no complaints because he was consistently tremendous Domestically and in the Four Nations, my problems is not with Kevin Sinfields nationality it's the fast that he isn't the best in the world, the best in the world wouldn't have a inconsistent regular season matched with a poor Cup final than decide to show up for 2 or 3 games at the end of the season, the best player in the world Consistently plays well week in week out and actually shows up to every big game he plays in, he doesn't have the quality of a Cronk or a Smith, watch Melbourne Storm games and it's a fact that any fan with common sense would agree on, hell if England do beat Australia in the World cup, im pretty sure guys like Burgess, Roby, Tomkins, Charnley, Hall and Graham will be the key components to the victory, not Sinfield considering he goes missing whenever he plays us.

Edited by 1jordy, 06 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#220 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,559 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 03:26 PM

If Australian clubs took the WCC seriously, why would they play the game during their preseason where the players aren't fit yet and haven't gelled as a team yet, don't get me started on the ridiculous 24 hour trip to even play the game in a completely different climate, play the game during both the NRL and Super League seasons on Neutral territory then I might take it seriously, this isn't about England or Australia this is about the BEST player in the world which i take to mean the best all round FOOTBALLER 'the fact that he didn't even make the Super League team of the year or even win the Leeds player of the year awards backs up my statement that he isn't the best, a statement that the majority of English citizens on this forum have agreed on, as ive said about 5 times, if Tomkins won it especially last year I would have had no complaints because he was consistently tremendous Domestically and in the Four Nations, my problems is not with Kevin Sinfields nationality it's the fast that he isn't the best in the world, the best in the world wouldn't have a inconsistent regular season matched with a poor Cup final than decide to show up for 2 or 3 games at the end of the season, the best player in the world Consistently plays well week in week out and actually shows up to every big game he plays in, he doesn't have the quality of a Cronk or a Smith, watch Melbourne Storm games and it's a fact that any fan with common sense would agree on, hell if England do beat Australia in the World cup, im pretty sure guys like Burgess, Roby, Tomkins, Charnley, Hall and Graham will be the key components to the victory, not Sinfield considering he goes missing whenever he plays us.

Nonsence !Sinfield wether in a winning or losing team is involved and behind just about every move leading to a score,and no way wingers should be considered for any such award either. You are showing your jealousy
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users