Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#261 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,870 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

The fact is - if the Aussies were so far ahead, as they like to think, then they would wipe the floor with our teams no matter how much practice they have.

If we went and played a regular French team in pre-season we would still batter them (I saw this first hand years back when Warrington went to St Esteve).

The gap is much closer than people will admit (certainly at the top).

#262 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

i think he means his team st george who made there own choice not to come over to early but in fact came 7 days before the game and had played 3 preseason games in australia before they came over .
lets face it a preseaon game against any australian opposition would be more than enough to prepare themselves for a game against wigan in his world im sure

That's incorrect actually, they made the decision to not play any trial games before the World Club Challenge so that was indeed their first Trial game, they played 2 more games when they arrived back in Australia to get into Match Fitness for the start of the NRL season in early March, I still think given the circumstances Wigan should have won that game considering they've been close to the best team in England for some time.
St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#263 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

oh get over it and face up to the fact that your lot wont take up the offer made by a number of english clubs and play the game in your own country because you scared of losing at home

The points I made were somewhat fact in the NRL clubs having to do all the travelling in their Pre seasons for a game that gets zero media attention in Australia year by year, your point was a matter of opinion with no facts to back up your theory, try making a valid point if you disagree with my opinion, "because you scared", what are you 12 years old?

Edited by 1jordy, 08 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#264 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

1jordy,the WCC was played in February,2 games into the season,Manly were here for at least a week before the game,training every day.Maybe a little more research is in order for you.

I'll give Leeds credit for winning the game, you can only beat whats put in front of you and they played well, but they didn't play a full strength team, A full Preseason, 2 Regular Season games and a home country advantage can make the world of difference in a football game, don't even try convincing me it doesn't, I still believe if you want this game to be taken seriously, play it on neutral territory when both teams are a at Full Fitness, I didn't watch the game this year due to Poor Handling of the coverage by I think Channel 9 or Fox Sports who don't really take the game seriously with their coverage of it and due to the lack of Media attention I completely forgot the game was even on, I really didn't care when my team won it in 2011 and I don't think Manly fans were crying over Spilt Milk when they lost it last year.

#265 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,462 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

The points I made were somewhat fact in the NRL clubs having to do all the travelling in their Pre seasons for a game that gets zero media attention in Australia year by year, your point was a matter of opinion with no facts to back up your theory, try making a valid point if you disagree with my opinion.

In an article on Sky Sports web site 7th October, 2012, Gary Hetherington, Leeds chief executive when asked if leeds were prepared to go to Australia to play the WCC game,said that his answer was "yes." Questioned further he said " Our attitude is that we've always been prepared to go to Australia for what would be the ultimate challenge". He states they would have gone to Manley last year and are prepared to go to Melbourne this year but the Australian clubs always backed out. The only time it ever was played in Australia, Wigan put Brisbane to the sword in Queensland before 50,000 so maybe an Australian club should host a WCC to see if they can regain their honour lost so easily by Brisbane.

#266 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:36 PM

The points I made were somewhat fact in the NRL clubs having to do all the travelling in their Pre seasons for a game that gets zero media attention in Australia year by year, your point was a matter of opinion with no facts to back up your theory, try making a valid point if you disagree with my opinion, "because you scared", what are you 12 years old?

You certainly sound like you are.Most Aussies are whingers and natural cheat's,but they must instill it into em young
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#267 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

You certainly sound like you are.Most Aussies are whingers and natural cheat's,but they must instill it into em young

Yet your the one insulting another country and it's citizens, whoes the immature one here, I guess rudeness is installed into "em" young in your household, your lack of class is baffling.

Questioning whether someone is the best in the world at his chosen sport is apparently a horrible thing to do, but insulting an entire country Yep that's acceptable. (The logic fieldofclothofgold)

Edited by 1jordy, 08 January 2013 - 03:49 PM.

#268 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

In an article on Sky Sports web site 7th October, 2012, Gary Hetherington, Leeds chief executive when asked if leeds were prepared to go to Australia to play the WCC game,said that his answer was "yes." Questioned further he said " Our attitude is that we've always been prepared to go to Australia for what would be the ultimate challenge". He states they would have gone to Manley last year and are prepared to go to Melbourne this year but the Australian clubs always backed out. The only time it ever was played in Australia, Wigan put Brisbane to the sword in Queensland before 50,000 so maybe an Australian club should host a WCC to see if they can regain their honour lost so easily by Brisbane.

I'd love to see it happen, I still don't see why Australian clubs would reject the offer, I've been to England a couple of times the 24 hour flight over there isn't a fun thing to do especially when you have to play a football game against highly motivated and talented football teams like a Wigan, out of curiosity, what year was this Wigan v Brisbane game played, I think it was before my time?

Edited by 1jordy, 08 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#269 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,710 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:18 PM

Yet your the one insulting another country and it's citizens, whoes the immature one here, I guess rudeness is installed into "em" young in your household, your lack of class is baffling.

Questioning whether someone is the best in the world at his chosen sport is apparently a horrible thing to do, but insulting an entire country Yep that's acceptable. (The logic fieldofclothofgold)

Rudness is supposedly you proud national trait ,a well as deciding who should referee game and then lecturing how you want them to referee the game.Dont like it when things dont go as you want it
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#270 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

It's played in the UK because it makes money. Same reason why the 3/4 nations was held here more often.

Neutral mid distance venue wouldn't make anywhere near the cash. Sporting/playing reasons are secondary to both teams making cash.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#271 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,387 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

I'd love to see it happen, I still don't see why Australian clubs would reject the offer, I've been to England a couple of times the 24 hour flight over there isn't a fun thing to do especially when you have to play a football game against highly motivated and talented football teams like a Wigan, out of curiosity, what year was this Wigan v Brisbane game played, I think it was before my time?

1994 -don't you have google in Australia?
Prize was 400,000 Dollars winner takes all so there was plenty of incentive.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#272 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:40 PM

1994 -don't you have google in Australia?
Prize was 400,000 Dollars winner takes all so there was plenty of incentive.

I really couldn't be bothered looking it up but thanks, considering that game was played before I was even born I think a WCC in Australia is long overdue.

#273 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:41 PM

Rudness is supposedly you proud national trait ,a well as deciding who should referee game and then lecturing how you want them to referee the game.Dont like it when things dont go as you want it

I have no idea what you just said.

#274 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I'll give Leeds credit for winning the game, you can only beat whats put in front of you and they played well, but they didn't play a full strength team, A full Preseason, 2 Regular Season games and a home country advantage can make the world of difference in a football game, don't even try convincing me it doesn't, I still believe if you want this game to be taken seriously, play it on neutral territory when both teams are a at Full Fitness, I didn't watch the game this year due to Poor Handling of the coverage by I think Channel 9 or Fox Sports who don't really take the game seriously with their coverage of it and due to the lack of Media attention I completely forgot the game was even on, I really didn't care when my team won it in 2011 and I don't think Manly fans were crying over Spilt Milk when they lost it last year.

All the things you mention for the WCC have been offered to the NRL and they have refused.
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

#275 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

It's played in the UK because it makes money. Same reason why the 3/4 nations was held here more often.

Neutral mid distance venue wouldn't make anywhere near the cash. Sporting/playing reasons are secondary to both teams making cash.

Fair point, I think if the game was played in Australia and got proper attention from the media I think a fair sized crowd would show up, the All Star game which is a pre season game held here got a lot of media attention and was a huge success here even though I hate the concept.

#276 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

All the things you mention for the WCC have been offered to the NRL and they have refused.

Is that just speculation or is evidence out there, would love to read an article on it.

#277 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,112 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:51 PM

Maybe it should be played as a 2 game/ 3 match series over the season. First game in the uk in march, second game in Aus around May and if its 1 - 1 the team who has the best score on aggregate gets the home tie for the 3rd game decider which could be played in July. Obviously if its 2 - 0 it ends before that stage. Get a decent sized sponsor (should be easier finding one in aus with the mega tv deal) for the games to generate a decent winning bonus let's say half a million or around that figure and give it some publicity. I think it would generate a lot of interest personally.

#278 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,290 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Fair point, I think if the game was played in Australia and got proper attention from the media I think a fair sized crowd would show up, the All Star game which is a pre season game held here got a lot of media attention and was a huge success here even though I hate the concept.

Money has always been the sticking point. The UK games could guarantee a certain amount of money not sure any Aussie club has wanted to risk it (in recent times). It would be nice to alternate it, but money talks I suppose.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#279 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,579 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:05 PM

There seems to be a belief in Australia that the fans 'switch off' mentally as soon as the Grand Final's finished, and the NRL would have trouble getting people to attend a WCC game.

Not having tried it for so very long, I'd suggest they at least had a go at disproving this theory. If it's a dud, spectatorwise, then at least we'd know.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#280 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,333 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Is that just speculation or is evidence out there, would love to read an article on it.

As I stated earlier,you need to up your research.
Got 1500 bass drum lugging,bug eyed monkeys!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users