Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#21 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

League Freak's not happy. :D

Kevin Sinfield may not be the greatest player in Rugby League, but he is definitely one of the best leaders.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#22 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

This reminds me a little of when Ryan Giggs won PFA Player of the Year in 2009. Feels more like a reward for a lengthy and very fine career in a year when there hasn't been a single compelling candidate for the award.

Still, if it riles the Aussies, it has to be good.

Many congratulations to Mr Sinfield.

#23 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:48 AM

Having now read most of the rest of this thread so far I am left with one, mind-boggling impression ............

........... what an embarrasing preponderence of parochial thought we have in the world of UK rugby league.

Small wonder teams from down-along have notched up so many wins against UK national sides, in recent memory.

For a moment, this summer, I thought this whole darned country had finally rediscovered national pride but it seems I was wrong.
How foolish of me to imagine such a thing because here we go again.
Monofocals firmly in place.

When, if ever, will the game of rugby league be blest again with a supporter base capable of laying aside the urge to put down, in favour of genuine, heartfelt congratulation?
Or at least, in it's place, a decent and appropriate silence?

You know what the real difference is, between Autralian rugby league teams and ours?
What has made it, in recent years, more likely than not that an Antipodean team will beat Great Britain or England?
It's a general state of knowing that they are great.

They know they are great because they know from birth that Australia (or New Zealand) is great.
Every Antipodean sports person, and every Antipodean person that an Antipodean sportsperson knows, knows they are great.
Everyone has been telling every one of them so, since the day that they were born.

Why, knowing that, would anyone doubt that, for them, the ability to win things is a natural part of life?

At one time, British teams used to walk onto the world's sporting arenas with that same certainty in their hearts.
For them too, winning was a normal and mostly probable way of life.
And this summer we saw that inner confidence glowing from the face of every British entrant in every event that took place.

So sad to see that many rugby league supporters, at least, have already abandoned belief in the power of instinctive, and honourable, national pride and returned to the previous, prevalent (though relatively recent), narrower vision.

A timid vision, somehow ..... a mere protection of each localised `me, my, mine'.

Will we ever hear "Well done!" again?
Just a plain, old fashioned, thoroughly delighted, "Well done Fred!"

Will we ever again hear, "Congratulations Joe, Jim, Mike or Kevin ....." without a string of seemingly inevitable Rugby League supporters', "Not as good as Jack Sprat, mind, nor even Jimmimy Cricket. But i grant you, so long as you don't mind Nigel Newt having been overlooked because the Ref was bent, you haven't done all that bad a job, I agree ......... so well done."

Here endeth yet another lecture, I know, but really!

:-)

Edited by Honor James, 04 January 2013 - 11:44 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#24 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,939 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:04 AM

any followers of Sirrichardagar will see hw Sinfield managed to win the award!! NSFW
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#25 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,739 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Snip

Fair point there about the negativity of the RL fandom. However awards of this nature are designed to provoke a bit of debate and some people are always going to disagree with the winner. You can't be too surprised when you pick essentially an outside favourite (considering the rest of the year's RL awards) and people don't neccesarily agree.

Personally I do disagree with the winner of this year's award - I will offer congratulations as Kevin is a great player - but I do also feel unease at the sheer intensity at some of the negativity coming from some quarters elsewhere online. At the end of the day, it's an opinion.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#26 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,692 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:13 AM

Having now read most of the rest of this thread so far I am left with one, mind-boggling impression ............

........... what an embarrasing preponderence of parochial thought we have in the world of UK rugby league.

Small wonder teams from down-along have notched up so many wins against UK national sides, in recent memory.

For a moment, this summer, I thought this whole darned country had finally rediscovered national pride but it seems I was wrong.

When, if ever, will the game of rugby league be blest again with a supporter base capable of laying aside the urge to put down, in favour of genuine, heartfelt congratulation?

You know what the real difference is, between Autralian rugby league teams and ours?
What has made it, in recent years, more likely than not that an Antipodean team will beat Great Britain or England?

They know they are great because they know from birth that Australia (or New Zealand) is great.
Every Antipodean sports person, and every Antipodean person that an Antipodean sportsperson knows, knows they are great.
Everyone has been telling every one of them so, since the day that they were born.

Why, knowing that, would anyone doubt that, for them, the ability to win things is a natural part of life?

At one time, British teams used to walk onto the world's sporting arenas with that same certainty in their hearts.
And this summer we saw that inner confidence glowing from the face of every British entrant in every event that took place.

So sad to see that many rugby league supporters, at least, have already abandoned belief in the power of instinctive, and honourable, national pride and returned to the previous, prevalent (though relatively recent), narrower vision.

A timid vision, somehow ..... a mere protection of each localised `me, my, mine'.

Whill we ever again hear, "Congratulations Joe, Jim, Mike or Kevin ....." without a string of seemingly inevitable Rugby League supporters', "Not as good as Jack Sprat, mind, nor even Jimmimy Cricket. But i grant you, so long as you don't mind Nigel Newt having been overlooked because the Ref was bent, you haven't done all that bad a job, I agree ......... so well done."

Not really. Personally there's a handful of British players I'd have given it to over him.

#27 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 5,991 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:19 AM

Actually, I think there is a logic to it. Winning the GF again, with a wonderful performance, winning the WCC, being central to the excellent series of wins in the Autumn, makes a fine body of work. As the award looks at which player has been the most influential, it is feasible for a player who is not the best in any position to win through consistency, inspiration and leadership.
If the Aussies were that bothered about having a more objetive test, they could have clamoured for a tour Down Under or a Tri or 4 Nations. If they want to sit on a beach when Sir Kevin is leading the way for England, they aren't in a strong position to moan.

#28 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,425 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

Whill we ever again hear, "Congratulations Joe, Jim, Mike or Kevin ....." without a string of seemingly inevitable Rugby League supporters', "Not as good as Jack Sprat, mind, nor even Jimmimy Cricket. But i grant you, so long as you don't mind Nigel Newt having been overlooked because the Ref was bent, you haven't done all that bad a job, I agree ......... so well done."

Sorry that we dont agree with your opinion. This is a forum where different opinions are viewed right?

#29 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,260 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Maybe not the most gifted of players but always,always gives 100%,inspirational leader and fantastic role model.Congratulations Kevin Sinfield.
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#30 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

Actually, I think there is a logic to it. Winning the GF again, with a wonderful performance, winning the WCC, being central to the excellent series of wins in the Autumn, makes a fine body of work. As the award looks at which player has been the most influential, it is feasible for a player who is not the best in any position to win through consistency, inspiration and leadership.
If the Aussies were that bothered about having a more objetive test, they could have clamoured for a tour Down Under or a Tri or 4 Nations. If they want to sit on a beach when Sir Kevin is leading the way for England, they aren't in a strong position to moan.

The Aussies played the Kiwis twice last year, compared to England playing Wales and France which do you believe is the tougher test?

#31 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

Who was on the panel that made this decision ?

League Express - Schofield
RLW - Margaret Radcliffe
BBC - Clare Balding
sky - Barrie McDermott
ex-players - Keith Senior and Ian Sinfield
Southern hemisphere judges - asleep.

2826856.jpg?type=articleLandscape

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#32 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,270 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:35 AM

+1

Also, id add that he received 3 back to back man of the match awards in the play offs, including the final, and could argue he was THE reason that Leeds won the Grand Final this year

Edited by Southstander13, 04 January 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#33 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

double post.

Edited by hindle xiii, 04 January 2013 - 11:36 AM.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#34 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

double post.

:D But what were the names of the sleeping Aussie Judges?

#35 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,019 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:41 AM

Sorry that we I dont agree with your opinion. This is a forum where different opinions are viewed right?

#36 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,062 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

:D But what were the names of the sleeping Aussie Judges?

Sheila, Bruce and Skippy.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#37 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 2,961 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

Sheila, Bruce and Skippy.

Ah fair enough, I thought it was Rolf, Kylie and Dame Edna.

#38 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,353 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Toadfish, Donk and Kylie were unavailable.

Edited by Futtocks, 04 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#39 The Future is League

The Future is League
  • Coach
  • 6,005 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Kevin Sinfield is an outstanding player and outstanding captain. A fine ambassador as well for Rugby League.

#40 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,969 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

The Aussies played the Kiwis twice last year, compared to England playing Wales and France which do you believe is the tougher test?

They wouldn't tour England though, nor host a touring England side.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users