Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#41 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,419 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Actually, I think there is a logic to it. Winning the GF again, with a wonderful performance, winning the WCC, being central to the excellent series of wins in the Autumn, makes a fine body of work. As the award looks at which player has been the most influential, it is feasible for a player who is not the best in any position to win through consistency, inspiration and leadership.
If the Aussies were that bothered about having a more objetive test, they could have clamoured for a tour Down Under or a Tri or 4 Nations. If they want to sit on a beach when Sir Kevin is leading the way for England, they aren't in a strong position to moan.

Maybe not the most gifted of players but always,always gives 100%,inspirational leader and fantastic role model.Congratulations Kevin Sinfield.

+1

Also, id add that he received 3 back to back man of the match awards in the play offs, including the final, and could argue he was THE reason that Leeds won the Grand Final this year

Great post EW

Spot on TWIG

Southstander wasn't aware of three back to back man of the matches - not bad for a player who doesn't deserve it in many people's opinions

Sinfield is a wonderful captain and a rugby league brain - simply outstanding !!

#42 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Not that this award really matters considering it's not decided by an International panel but a English one which I've never understood, but i'm not sure what Cameron Smith has to do to win it, he captained the Melbourne Storm to win the Premiership, captained Queensland to win the State of Origin series and Australia to win two games against New Zealand in one year, that's everything there is to win, im not exactly sure what the Criteria is, is Sinfield a good player, yes he is but no one can convince me that he is at level of Cameron Smith even of a Cooper Cronk (The best half back in the world), games between England and Australia have proven it, would have picked him over Myles and Tomkins though, but im sure most rugby league fans with common sense know who the real best in the world was this year, so why does he deserve it more than them, it's not like Sinfield accomplished more than Smith and Cronk did.
St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#43 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,252 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

Sorry that we dont agree with your opinion. This is a forum where different opinions are viewed right?

I have never indicated that every possible shade of opinion should not be voiced here.

I only lament an obvious lack of unbiased objectivity, and its inevitable companion - ungenerosity of spirit.

As to multiple opinions though - prefer who you will. I will never contest you on that.

:-)

Edited by Honor James, 04 January 2013 - 01:37 PM.

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#44 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,958 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:38 PM

Not that this award really matters considering it's not decided by an International panel but a English one which I've never understood, but i'm not sure what Cameron Smith has to do to win it, he captained the Melbourne Storm to win the Premiership, captained Queensland to win the State of Origin series and Australia to win two games against New Zealand in one year, that's everything there is to win, im not exactly sure what the Criteria is, is Sinfield a good player, yes he is but no one can convince me that he is at level of Cameron Smith even of a Cooper Cronk (The best half back in the world), games between England and Australia have proven it, would have picked him over Myles and Tomkins though, but im sure most rugby league fans with common sense know who the real best in the world was this year, so why does he deserve it more than them, it's not like Sinfield accomplished more than Smith and Cronk did.

If he has accomplished the same as Smith and Cronk,then surely he is worthy of the award,or should he not win it because he is English?
Now I know why I have a retired Guide Dog as a pet!

#45 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:40 PM

So - of all the major awards he was eligible for this year:

Leeds Player of the year - nope (Ryan Hall)
SL Dream Team 6 or 13 - nope (Finch and O'Loughlin)
Man of Steel - Nope (not even shortlisted)
World XIII 6 or 13 - Nope (Thurston and Gallen)

Golden Boot - best player in the world - YEP!!!

Madness.

I do need to caveat that this is nothing to do with disliking Leeds (I feel quite the opposite), thinking all the NRL players are better, or being bitter about him playing a blinder in the Grand Final - simply that I don't think he has been anywhere near the best player in the World this year, and neither do the panels of the other major awards that I quoted.

FWIW - I don't always agree with who gets the award - isn't that the interesting thing about these - but I would absolutely like to congratulate him on the award.

Best post in this thread.

Edited by 1jordy, 04 January 2013 - 01:48 PM.

#46 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

If he has accomplished the same as Smith and Cronk,then surely he is worthy of the award,or should he not win it because he is English?

I still don't really get it, he didn't even win Leeds player of the year (Ryan Hall did) but is apparently the best in the world? Cam Captained his country to two wins over the 2nd best international team in the world NZ and of course Queensland to victory, for the last couple of years I thought Tomkins was very close to winning this award, so no it's not because he is English he is just not at Cam Smith and Cronks level having watched both Super League & the NRL this year.

#47 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,958 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

I still don't really get it, he didn't even win Leeds player of the year (Ryan Hall did) but is apparently the best in the world? Cam Captained his country to two wins over the 2nd best international team in the world NZ and of course Queensland to victory, for the last couple of years I thought Tomkins was very close to winning this award, so no it's not because he is English he is just not at Cam Smith and Cronks level having watched both Super League & the NRL this year.

Other people better than me have explained why they think Sinfield is a worthy winner,try reading those and you just might get it.

#48 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,783 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:02 PM

Cameron Smiths achievements;

Captained Queensland to series win over NSW and taking the captaincy from the greatest player to play in the 21st century.

Captained Aus to a victory of NZ.

Captained Melbourne too victory in the NRL grand final and guided them too top of the league.

Got in the NRL dream team.

Made it into the world XIII

How sinfield is ahead of him is actually beyond me.

(No I'm not a person who says English cant hack it in the NRL)

Dave T's post is spot on.

#49 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,419 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

Well one thing, Sinfield won't give a flying ###### what people think.

He's won it!!

Different awards have different ways of being won, timing is often forgotten.

Man of steel people talk about, if it was done after the GF surely Sinfield would've won it ( many times now)

Likewise with the super league team of the year!

Edited for bad spelling

Well that's my opinion!!

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 04 January 2013 - 02:43 PM.

#50 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 689 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Congratulations to Kevin for the award, agree with Exiled Wiganer's and PMJ's sentiments. The fact is that in the only Anglo-Australian encounter that took place last year, Sinfield was the winning captain. If the Southern hemisphere wants the award that badly, then prove it by sending a touring international side and winning the Test series; that way there can be no doubt about who the best player is. Sinfield has been the leader for several seasons of the most influential European team of the last decade. He produced several stand out performances in the games that really mattered and could not have done any better in leading his country; as you can only beat the opposition that is in front of you, which England did in a convincing manner.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#51 OMEGA

OMEGA
  • Coach
  • 1,193 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

<snip>

What tripe!

I wouldnt completely rule out the psychology element but to suggest it as the only or even the main reason we are 2nd or 3rd in world RL is simplistic at best and downright ignorant and silly at worst. Do you really beleive that Ellery Hanly, Paul Sculthorpe, Andy Gregory, Kevin Ward and their like went into Test matches psychologically beaten before a ball was kicked? They were all winners, Champions who were competing with players developed in a system far more competitive and efficient than ours, a system that produced and still produces players who in 99% of cases have to get by a host of other players to secure a Test Jersey, to reach the top they have to be great.

Back to Sinield,
Has he been the Best Player in the World over the last 12 months?
Not for me, he's done what he's always done and that is to be the fulcrum of a good Leeds team, looked great in domestic competition and, considering the opposition, relatively ordinary at international level. He's a decent ambassador for our game and a solid role model for younger payers, a shining example of a nice bloke who through hard work and dedication has had a great career which has put him up there with Leeds RLFCs best ever. That's the crux of this though isn't it, he's cumulatively had a great career without ever being anywhere near the best player in any single year including last year.

If there was an international award for career contribution then I'd nominate Kevin Sinfield in a flash and he'd rightfully win it by a distance!

If the Golden Boot is awarded to the Best Player in the World then it shouldn't have gone to Sinfield. The fact that it has diminishes the award not just this year but for every future year and for every year past.

If you just want blind congratulations without sincerity then knock yourself out but I don't agree with the panels selection and it's not even close enough for me to mitigate my misgivings away so I won't be adding my approval.

Edited by OMEGA, 04 January 2013 - 03:01 PM.

#52 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,549 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Who was on the panel that made this decision ?

I have often thought the same when the MOS has been decided since 2004

So - of all the major awards he was eligible for this year:

Leeds Player of the year - nope (Ryan Hall)
SL Dream Team 6 or 13 - nope (Finch and O'Loughlin)
Man of Steel - Nope (not even shortlisted)
World XIII 6 or 13 - Nope (Thurston and Gallen)

Golden Boot - best player in the world - YEP!!!

Madness.

I do need to caveat that this is nothing to do with disliking Leeds (I feel quite the opposite), thinking all the NRL players are better, or being bitter about him playing a blinder in the Grand Final - simply that I don't think he has been anywhere near the best player in the World this year, and neither do the panels of the other major awards that I quoted.

FWIW - I don't always agree with who gets the award - isn't that the interesting thing about these - but I would absolutely like to congratulate him on the award.

But weren't you impressed at the way he got up and got on with his game in the GF after the cynical take out attempts?didnt miss a kick from all over the park.Just think if not for Sinfield Wire may well have been back to back SL champions by now
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#53 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:08 PM

Congratulations to him but I don't think anyone can take this award seriously, I think Ryan Hall is a better player than Sinfield which means he is not the best player at Leeds and is not the best player in the world, im yet to see any convincing arguments other than he captained his team to the the title which is exactly what Cam Smith did with the Stom as well as Captaining Australia to wins over New Zealand and Queensland over NSW, I don't even like the guy, I hate the team he plays for and im a NSW fan but he did take the captaincy from Lockyer which i'd imagine would of put a lot of pressure on him and still won everything.

Edited by 1jordy, 04 January 2013 - 03:10 PM.

#54 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,958 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:11 PM

What tripe!

I wouldnt completely rule out the psychology element but to suggest it as the only or even the main reason we are 2nd or 3rd in world RL is simplistic at best and downright ignorant and silly at worst. Do you really beleive that Ellery Hanly, Paul Sculthorpe, Andy Gregory, Kevin Ward and their like went into Test matches psychologically beaten before a ball was kicked? They were all winners, Champions who were competing with players developed in a system far more competitive and efficient than ours, a system that produced and still produces players who in 99% of cases have to get by a host of other players to secure a Test Jersey, to reach the top they have to be great.

Back to Sinield,
Has he been the Best Player in the World over the last 12 months?
Not for me, he's done what he's always done and that is to be the fulcrum of a good Leeds team, looked great in domestic competition and, considering the opposition, relatively ordinary at international level. He's a decent ambassador for our game and a solid role model for younger payers, a shining example of a nice bloke who through hard work and dedication has had a great career which has put him up there with Leeds RLFCs best ever. That's the crux of this though isn't it, he's cumulatively had a great career without ever being anywhere near the best player in any single year including last year.

If there was an international award for career contribution then I'd nominate Kevin Sinfield in a flash and he'd rightfully win it by a distance!

If the Golden Boot is awarded to the Best Player in the World then it shouldn't have gone to Sinfield. The fact that it has diminishes the award not just this year but for every future year and for every year past.

If you just want blind congratulations without sincerity then knock yourself out but I don't agree with the panels selection and it's not even close enough for me to mitigate my misgivings away so I won't be adding my approval.

Question,is the best the player the most skillful or the one who leads and inspires teams.

#55 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Congratulations to Kevin for the award, agree with Exiled Wiganer's and PMJ's sentiments. The fact is that in the only Anglo-Australian encounter that took place last year, Sinfield was the winning captain. If the Southern hemisphere wants the award that badly, then prove it by sending a touring international side and winning the Test series; that way there can be no doubt about who the best player is. Sinfield has been the leader for several seasons of the most influential European team of the last decade. He produced several stand out performances in the games that really mattered and could not have done any better in leading his country; as you can only beat the opposition that is in front of you, which England did in a convincing manner.

To be fair to the Aussies - they have no obligation to play us every year. It never happened in the 'Golden' era that people bang on about (80's & 90's) - and whilst I love my International Rugby League, I think it is not unreasonable that the Aussies decide that they don't want to tour Britain for three years on the bounce.
They did however play two tests against the current World Champions and beat them in both.

#56 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 111 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:13 PM

Question,is the best the player the most skillful or the one who leads and inspires teams.

If were going by that Criteria i'd still go Cameron Smith.

#57 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,958 posts

I love how the award can't now be taken seriously now Sinfield has won it,yet when other players have won it contentiously in the past it's been a great award.Very strange.

#58 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,006 posts

But weren't you impressed at the way he got up and got on with his game in the GF after the cynical take out attempts?didnt miss a kick from all over the park.Just think if not for Sinfield Wire may well have been back to back SL champions by now

Of course I was impressed - and for that game he rightly got the Harry Sunderland award. THAT is the award for that game, not the Golden Boot!

#59 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 7,958 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

If were going by that Criteria i'd still go Cameron Smith.

We know you would. ;)

#60 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,006 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:15 PM

I love how the award can't now be taken seriously now Sinfield has won it,yet when other players have won it contentiously in the past it's been a great award.Very strange.

TBF there were similar comments when Farrell won it.

There were accusations that at the time LPL were trying to give credibility to the boot by giving it to an English player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users