And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#81 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

So he won all the major awards available to him?

By the above rationale, Sinfield should surely have won the Rhino's Player of the Year, the Man of Steel (or the Pro Writers Player of the Year) as well as the Golden Boot.
This is my only issue really - had he done a clean sweep over here and was clearly the best player in Britain, then you could justify him being world's best. As he hasn't been acknowledged as Britain's best, then something doesn't follow, but that's just my opinion.

Had the Rhinos POTY or MOS awards been done at the end of the full season, perhaps he would have won both.

He may have been Leeds' second best player during the regular season and 4th on the list for MOS, but they playoff/GF performances tipped him over the edge
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#82 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Every award is voted for on a different basis.

The Rhinos award is for Rhinos matches only, excluding representative games; the Man of Steel is for Super League regular season matches only; the Golden Boot is given for the season as a whole, whether for club or country.

Kevin Sinfield is a hugely influential, inspiring player and captain, who led Leeds to victory to win two out of three trophies, and then captained England superbly in a way that suggests that we have a real chance of doing well in this year's World Cup.

He also inspired lavish praise from, among others, the England rugby union squad, after he addressed them prior to one of their games, and the broadcaster of the year Clare Balding.

I'm not sure what more he could have done to win the Golden Boot this year.

It's actually 2 out of 4 trophies (LL shield), unless you don't believe leading your team to top of the league over 27 rounds is a worthy achievement.

It has been a very common view when this has been discussed that most believe he hasn't been the best player in the world this year, but that he deserves the award due to his leadership etc. If that is what the award if for then fair enough. I thought it was the equivalent of the Ballon D'or which recognised the best player in the world that year.

#83 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:24 PM

Had the Rhinos POTY or MOS awards been done at the end of the full season, perhaps he would have won both.

He may have been Leeds' second best player during the regular season and 4th on the list for MOS, but they playoff/GF performances tipped him over the edge

That's a very fair point.

#84 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,580 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

The Rhinos award is for Rhinos matches only, excluding representative games; the Man of Steel is for Super League regular season matches only; the Golden Boot is given for the season as a whole, whether for club or country.

Kevin Sinfield is a hugely influential, inspiring player and captain, who led Leeds to victory to win two out of three trophies, and then captained England superbly in a way that suggests that we have a real chance of doing well in this year's World Cup.

He also inspired lavish praise from, among others, the England rugby union squad, after he addressed them prior to one of their games, and the broadcaster of the year Clare Balding.

I'm not sure what more he could have done to win the Golden Boot this year.

Over the year Kevin was not that great, just like Leeds wasnt. He was fairly quiet in the cup final which Leeds lost. He had a quiet start to the season and It really wasnt until August that Sinfield and Leeds started playing so well. But When you compare him to Cam Smith or Cooper Cronk he did not have a good year as these two who also inspired the team, State and Country to victory. Melbourne were way more consistant throughout the whole season and never outside the top 2, mainly due to Cronk and Smith. When they was busy with Origin, The Storm struggled big time. Sinfield like Leeds had a very good year but still not as good as Cronk or Smith who were consistant from the start to finish. And with respect even as Captain, Smith beats him in that area. And how many people as captain have won the NRL, State of Origin and won all tests? I just cant see how people can say Sinfield has had a better Season than Cronk or Smith either at Club or Representative level.

#85 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Any advance on Andy Farrell in 2004?
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#86 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:52 PM

Well no we most of us any way are not as insular as most Australians who's memory and knowledge of the game only goes back to circal 1979-82

Well you're right considering I was born in 95 I don't have any clue about 1970's/80's rugby league, I think I speak for most England fans when I say that they would prefer to be on top of the Aussies in 2013, not 1979, for as long as I can remember Australia in rugby league anyways have always had the better of England, if you want to keep living in that time period where you guys were the best that's fine, but I like to live in the present and I live in a time where Kevin Sinfield is not the best in the world.
St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#87 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Well you're right considering I was born in 95 I don't have any clue about 1970's/80's rugby league, I think I speak for most England fans when I say that they would prefer to be on top of the Aussies in 2013, not 1979, for as long as I can remember Australia in rugby league anyways have always had the better of England, if you want to keep living in that time period where you guys were the best that's fine, but I like to live in the present and I live in a time where Kevin Sinfield is not the best in the world.

I am referring to a lot of Aussie journo's today printing their stuff as if they have dominated the sport since we gave them the game.when you were born we had beaten them more than they had beaten us,but we never scorned their game either
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#88 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

I am referring to a lot of Aussie journo's today printing their stuff as if they have dominated the sport since we gave them the game.when you were born we had beaten them more than they had beaten us,but we never scorned their game either

One thing I do agree on is that most Aussie Journo's are complete idiots.
St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#89 westhuller

westhuller
  • Coach
  • 3,029 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

The facts as I see it is Sinfield a fantastic player, an inspirational captain to Leeds and will go down in Rhinos history as such but he is clearly not the best player in the world. He has the same stature in the game as say Steven Gerrard has at Liverpool but that has never won him the best player in the world award in football has it.

#90 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:29 PM

One thing I do agree on is that most Aussie Journo's are complete idiots.

Thankyou young man, and from what I have read from them today I also think they are complete bigots
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#91 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,407 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Pretty much every single one of my posts Arguing that Sinfield is not the best in the world I have praised Ryan Hall, do I hate Leeds players?

I doubt Hall would be able to score many of his spectacular tries without Sinfield's guile and craft in the middle of the field. His courage in the GF when he was clearly targeted for "the treatment" jusifies this award on its own. Plus of course his peerless goal kicking. Then there is the way he led his country, ok against lesser nations, but you can only beat what's put in front of you, then there's his tackling, I could go on and on praising the man. However, the ultimate accolade is Jamie Peacock's description of what an inspiration he is in the dressing rooms. Well done Kev. You deserve it.
Given that Farrell was the last British player to win it and what happened subsequently I wonder if the RFU....

"This is a very wealthy country, money is no object" D. Cameron February 2014

#92 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,645 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

I doubt Hall would be able to score many of his spectacular tries without Sinfield's guile and craft in the middle of the field. His courage in the GF when he was clearly targeted for "the treatment" jusifies this award on its own. Plus of course his peerless goal kicking. Then there is the way he led his country, ok against lesser nations, but you can only beat what's put in front of you, then there's his tackling, I could go on and on praising the man. However, the ultimate accolade is Jamie Peacock's description of what an inspiration he is in the dressing rooms. Well done Kev. You deserve it.
Given that Farrell was the last British player to win it and what happened subsequently I wonder if the RFU....

Nice read and great comments

#93 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 8,099 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:16 PM

All of which may be true and may be reason to give him AN award, but the title of world's best player ? That is what you sell the award as in your promotional blurb, the world's best player, not best captain or biggest influence or most inspirational.

In the other 2 'world' awards this year (World XIII and RLIF Player of the Year) he didn't feature at all. Yet suddenly he is the best player in the world for reasons which are totally spurious. It's like saying Iker Casillas is the world's best footballer because he captained Real Madrid to win La Liga ahead of Barcelona and then captained Spain to win Euro 2012.

Kevin Sinfield is a good player, a great captain and an excellent role model for young players and fans, and he should be rightly acclaimed for those qualities, but world's best player ? Really ?

#94 shrek

shrek
  • Coach
  • 5,968 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:17 PM

Congratulations to the lad, its decision thats certainly provoked debate, which can only be a good thing!

#95 Riversiderontour

Riversiderontour
  • Coach
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:19 PM

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaaaa

Thats the "World" laughing at some journeyman back rower getting the Golden Boot.

Even as a Wire I am sorry but Westwood is nowhere near as skillful as Super Sam or Ellis.

Wazza's main industrys are service industries, call centres, warehouses and the public sector nowadays. All three are under threat from the Tory cuts.

#96 giwildgo

giwildgo
  • Coach
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:23 PM

Congratulations Kevin, it's just a shame it isn't an award for his services to the game and club successes which are undoubted. However the 'best player in the world' tag leaves us open to ridicule in the same way that Farrell was in 2004. A great leader of a great team, but far from the best individual player at his own club, never mind England, SL or the world.

#97 HKR AWAY DAYS

HKR AWAY DAYS
  • Coach
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 06:30 PM

Congratulations to Kevin Sinfield. I read through a few Twitter comments on the way to work this morning and couldn't believe that the decision had caused such a furore. I'm still at work so have not been able to read through this post but my thoughts on the subject is that the RLW Mag have utilised their right to an opinion and cast their vote. The decision doesn't speak for everyone so I don't get what the issue is. I would have chosen Cam Smith myself, having captained Melbourne Storm, Queensland and Australia to 3 victories in the NRL, State of Origin and international tests respectively but putting that to a side, Sinfield deserves many plaudits for the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch, his professionalism and his achievements.

This time next year we'll be whinging about the next winner!

#98 flyingking

flyingking
  • Coach
  • 828 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Congratulations to Kevin Sinfield. I read through a few Twitter comments on the way to work this morning and couldn't believe that the decision had caused such a furore. I'm still at work so have not been able to read through this post but my thoughts on the subject is that the RLW Mag have utilised their right to an opinion and cast their vote. The decision doesn't speak for everyone so I don't get what the issue is. I would have chosen Cam Smith myself, having captained Melbourne Storm, Queensland and Australia to 3 victories in the NRL, State of Origin and international tests respectively but putting that to a side, Sinfield deserves many plaudits for the way he conducts himself on and off the pitch, his professionalism and his achievements.

This time next year we'll be whinging about the next winner!

Not if it is Kevin again, but this time with a World Cup winner's medal around his neck.
www.twitter.com/flyingking2

#99 Mrbus

Mrbus
  • Coach
  • 805 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:07 PM

this award sums up rugby fans on both side of the world

aussie's - its a joke, our players were robbed but we don't care about the award (cause we didn't win), etc
english - all the aussie's are clearly better, sinny is just a club man and plays in the poor super league, etc

as for the real truth if sinfield was an aussie no one would question this award (and he'd of likely won it years ago).

p.s.
if anyone bothers to do any research you'll see that sinfield is 6th on the cvg rating for internationals since 2008, not bad for a man who is average at international level according to most.

#100 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:18 PM

this award sums up rugby fans on both side of the world

aussie's - its a joke, our players were robbed but we don't care about the award (cause we didn't win), etc
english - all the aussie's are clearly better, sinny is just a club man and plays in the poor super league, etc

as for the real truth if sinfield was an aussie no one would question this award (and he'd of likely won it years ago).

p.s.
if anyone bothers to do any research you'll see that sinfield is 6th on the cvg rating for internationals since 2008, not bad for a man who is average at international level according to most.

Or again, perhaps it's as simple as people just not thinking he is the best player in the world this year!

People rightly put a hell of a lot of weight behind the fact that he brilliantly led his team to the Grand Final win and the WCC Title, but they do rather ignore the way he led the team to a 5th place and another disappointing Challenge Cup Final. Now I agree that there's not much that Sinfield can do if his team-mates let him down around him, but that's sort of my point, the way people go on, he is playing at a dire team and has dragged them up, when the fact is that they are a brilliant team who have underperformed for large parts of the season, and that includes him (his supporters can't have it both ways).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users