RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#101 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

this award sums up rugby fans on both side of the world

aussie's - its a joke, our players were robbed but we don't care about the award (cause we didn't win), etc
english - all the aussie's are clearly better, sinny is just a club man and plays in the poor super league, etc

as for the real truth if sinfield was an aussie no one would question this award (and he'd of likely won it years ago).

p.s.
if anyone bothers to do any research you'll see that sinfield is 6th on the cvg rating for internationals since 2008, not bad for a man who is average at international level according to most.

http://www.news.com....l-1226494737540

This'll help put more fuel on the burning fire

#102 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

I'm with those who think Sinfield is a great club captain but not the best player in the world. I'm not surprised he won it though because the journos over here have been pushing him all season, especially when he didn't win the man of steel.

I do like Sinfield's response to Aussie criticism here though: http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20914087

#103 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:50 PM

Good response from Sinfield and very appropriate.
The award has been devalued really with this. KS is a good club player but falls short in Internationals against quality opposition.
Timing of this is interesting too, the one year we don't face the Aussies or Kiwis KS is awarded the trophy.
Wasn't the best player at Leeds in 2012, Ryan Hall won their player of the year award.
Not nominated for MOS either so how come he can be the best in the world?
It will be interesting to see who wins it next year after the World Cup.
Mention is made there of Andy Farrell winning it in 2004.
A few days later the Aussies played GB at Ellend Rd and the Green and Golds were 44-0 or so up at half time, Darren Lockyer proved who was the best player in the world 2004 that night.

#104 gavin7094

gavin7094
  • Coach
  • 158 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:04 PM

This all depends on what we take 'World's best player' to mean. If it's about spectacular skills of evasion or breathtaking handling then Sinfield clearly isn't it but nor is Cameron Smith. However, this would count out almost any forward from ever winning it, which I object to. Cannot the award go to a player who's consistency over the season and particularly in important games led to massive achievement for his club ( and country)? Sinfield's performances in those 4 play off games were simply awesome. Which of us thought Leeds could do it? Again? And from fifth place (again). Incredible. Fully deserved. Well done Kevin.

#105 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 3,652 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Having just read the article in the Aussie Telegraph (here: http://www.dailytele...r-1226547869584) I am now officially thrilled and delighted that Kevin Sinfield has won the golden boot.

#106 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

Congratulations Kevin, it's just a shame it isn't an award for his services to the game and club successes which are undoubted. However the 'best player in the world' tag leaves us open to ridicule in the same way that Farrell was in 2004. A great leader of a great team, but far from the best individual player at his own club, never mind England, SL or the world.

Its all about opinion and this is mine those individuals in this Leeds team would not stand out so much without Sinfield
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#107 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:26 PM

This all depends on what we take 'World's best player' to mean. If it's about spectacular skills of evasion or breathtaking handling then Sinfield clearly isn't it but nor is Cameron Smith. However, this would count out almost any forward from ever winning it, which I object to. Cannot the award go to a player who's consistency over the season and particularly in important games led to massive achievement for his club ( and country)? Sinfield's performances in those 4 play off games were simply awesome. Which of us thought Leeds could do it? Again? And from fifth place (again). Incredible. Fully deserved. Well done Kevin.

spot on......

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#108 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:29 PM

This all depends on what we take 'World's best player' to mean. If it's about spectacular skills of evasion or breathtaking handling then Sinfield clearly isn't it but nor is Cameron Smith.

That's a very fair point.

It is curious how so many of those critical of this selection would have plumped for Cameron Smith instead - a superbly accomplished all-round footballer who does most things to a high standard but, rather like Sinfield, short of genius and a player perhaps better appreciated by those who acknowledge things other than "spectacular skills of evasion" or "breathtaking handling."

The main difference that I can detect between Smith and Sinfield is that, while both appear modest and charming off the field, the latter plays without that hint of smugness that some can see in the on-field play of the former.

Purely in terms of their athletic prowess and the range of their skills, Smith and Sinfield appear to me to be rather similar.

Having said all of that, I'd still rather have either Sam Burgess or Sam Tomkins as my England captain...

#109 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:30 PM

By nationality
Australia - 15 wins
England - 4 wins
New Zealand - 3 wins

By position
Five-Eighth or Stand-Off - 7 wins
Halfback or Scrum-Half - 6 wins
Fullback - 4 wins
Centre - 2 wins
Hooker - 1 win
Lock or Loose Forward - 1 win
Second Row - 1 win
Prop or Front Row - 0 wins
Wing - 0 wins

Found this hope it copies and pastes......interesting.

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 04 January 2013 - 08:31 PM.

#110 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,424 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

It is curious how so many of those critical of this selection would have plumped for Cameron Smith instead - a superbly accomplished all-round footballer who does most things to a high standard but, rather like Sinfield, short of genius and a player perhaps better appreciated by those who acknowledge things other than "spectacular skills of evasion" or "breathtaking handling."

The main difference that I can detect between Smith and Sinfield is that, while both appear modest and charming off the field, the latter plays without that hint of smugness that some can see in the on-field play of the former.

Purely in terms of their athletic prowess and the range of their skills, Smith and Sinfield appear to me to be rather similar.

A month ago i got jumped on for suggesting that sinfield is to leeds & SL is exactly what cam smith is to melbourne & NRL

both tick practically the same boxes imo

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#111 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

hahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahaaaa

Thats the "World" laughing at some journeyman back rower getting the Golden Boot.

Journeyman?how do you define a Journeyman?
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#112 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

Journeyman?how do you define a Journeyman?

Wembley on regular occasions and old Trafford on too many occasions.

Guess that's clocked up a few miles.

#113 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

Wembley on regular occasions and old Trafford on too many occasions.

Guess that's clocked up a few miles.

I would call a journeyman the kind of player Leeds united have been signing since 2005,or a Richard Mather's type player
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#114 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:46 PM

I would call a journeyman the kind of player Leeds united have been signing since 2005,or a Richard Mather's type player

I know, was being mischievous. :P

#115 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,376 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:01 PM

Having said all of that, I'd still rather have either Sam Burgess or Sam Tomkins as my England captain...

There is a lot of differences between Smith and Sinfield. For starters if Smith sees a gap he'll be through it, he has an edge on Sinfield for pace and getting an easy ten or fifteen metres without breaking a sweat he makes it look so easy. Then there is the amount of tackles Smith gets through, he gets through a similar level to James Roby, and how many times do people go on about the work rate of James Roby. Smith was also exceptional throughout the whole season, Sinfield had around 6 or 7 games where he had a similar impact to Smith on his side and on the game, fortunately for Kevin they were on the biggest stage that our country has too offer.

I honestly can't find a reason why you'd choose Sinfield over Smith. Let's say the NRL and SL are of a similar standard, Sinfield still hasn't done anything that Smith hasn't whilst you cant say it vice versa.

I'm not being anti Leeds also or anti England either. The amount of times I've said Hall is a class above any winger in the world or how Tomkins can cut it with the Aussie big names is many.

The comparision between Gerrard and Sinfield of their respective sports is probably fair. Both exceptional sportsmen within their game, but arnt quite good enough to hack it with the worlds best consistently. Gerrard has never been close to the Messi's, Ronaldos, Iniestas, Xavis or even the Ronaldinhos and Zidanes when Gerrard was classed as in his prime. Similar situation when Sinfield hasn't been close to the Smiths, Slaters and Inglis' of our game and because they are the same nationallity people use that as an excuse to say people are being bias. When in reality they're just being realistic.

I'm not going to say Sinfield hasn't played well this season as he obviously has guiding his team to the top, but IMO I just don't think you can create an argument to say he's better than Smith. If people can then ill be more than happy too debate it.

Edited by barrowraiderskid, 04 January 2013 - 09:05 PM.

#116 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:02 PM

I know, was being mischievous. :P

I know what you meant Paul I was trying to get he insular man on tour to give his definition :D
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#117 Mrbus

Mrbus
  • Coach
  • 738 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

me, thankfully the bookers didn't tho :D

#118 trakl

trakl
  • Coach
  • 1,180 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

There is a lot of differences between Smith and Sinfield. For starters if Smith sees a gap he'll be through it, he has an edge on Sinfield for pace and getting an easy ten or fifteen metres without breaking a sweat he makes it look so easy. Then there is the amount of tackles Smith gets through, he gets through a similar level to James Roby, and how many times do people go on about the work rate of James Roby. Smith was also exceptional throughout the whole season, Sinfield had around 6 or 7 games where he had a similar impact to Smith on his side and on the game, fortunately for Kevin they were on the biggest stage that our country has too offer.

I honestly can't find a reason why you'd choose Sinfield over Smith. Let's say the NRL and SL are of a similar standard, Sinfield still hasn't done anything that Smith hasn't whilst you cant say it vice versa.

I'm not being anti Leeds also or anti England either. The amount of times I've said Hall is a class above any winger in the world or how Tomkins can cut it with the Aussie big names is many.

The comparision between Gerrard and Sinfield of their respective sports is probably fair. Both exceptional sportsmen within their game, but arnt quite good enough to hack it with the worlds best consistently. Gerrard has never been close to the Messi's, Ronaldos, Iniestas, Xavis or even the Ronaldinhos and Zidanes when Gerrard was classed as in his prime. Similar situation when Sinfield hasn't been close to the Smiths, Slaters and Inglis' of our game and because they are the same nationallity people use that as an excuse to say people are being bias. When in reality they're just being realistic.

I'm not going to say Sinfield hasn't played well this season as he obviously has guiding his team to the top, but IMO I just don't think you can create an argument to say he's better than Smith. If people can then ill be more than happy too debate it.

That's a very good post.

There are two main points of difference that you have highlighted: In terms of speed, I'd be genuinely surprised if Smith had an edge over Sinfield - neither is explosive off-the-mark and neither has a great change of pace or great sustained pace; in terms of tackling work-rate, I think it is fair to say that a hooker is going to score far more highly than a stand-off/loose-forward/utility player. Do you not remember how often the Sky commentary team would laud Malcolm Alker's record-breaking defensive stints/stats for Salford - and yet few would mistake Alker as being either in Sinfield or Smith's class.

I wouldn't have been disappointed to see the award go to Smith - but I'm not offended by seeing it go to Sinfield either. I am however of the belief that Smith and Sinfield are not dissimilar either athletically or in terms of natural footballing skill. Neither is a Messi or a Ronaldo - that would be Tomkins or Barba or Slater or the great Greg Inglis or Benji Marshall or...

#119 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 11,657 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

I might not bother posting so much anymore - Dave just says everything right, all of the time.

Be careful, Ginger Jon will be after you.

Hull-FC-V10-e1380711301940.jpg         HULL NOT VERY PROUD

"You're not City anymore!"

(The chant of opposition fans to Hull Tigers' supporters this season)

#120 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,693 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

Mention is made there of Andy Farrell winning it in 2004.
A few days later the Aussies played GB at Ellend Rd and the Green and Golds were 44-0 or so up at half time, Darren Lockyer Russell Smith proved who was the best player in the world 2004 that night.

Without Russell's helpful penalty on Newton and ignoring fouls on Harris in the opening stages I reckon it would have been a lot closer.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users