Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#121 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

well done sir kev .

as i understand it then its for the outstanding acheivmments of 2012 that the golden boot is awarded so that would be

captain of a challenge cup final team
captain of the 2012 champions
captain of the unbeaten england team in 2012
captain of the world club champions 2012
leading goalkicker in world top tier rugby league 2012
leading points scorer in world top tier rugby league 2012
most drop goals in super league 2012
longest unbroken playing run in british rugby league

on top of that he been the most important player for the super league champions in 2012

Edited by southstand loiner, 04 January 2013 - 09:41 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#122 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,614 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:49 PM

So he didn't just eat the hamster, he chewed it up, spat it out and rammed the bones down the throats of all his doubters

#123 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:04 PM

So he didn't just eat the hamster, he chewed it up, spat it out and rammed the bones down the throats of all his doubters

certainly and i wouldnt even swop him for lee briers in his pomp

Edited by southstand loiner, 04 January 2013 - 10:05 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#124 DiH68

DiH68
  • Coach
  • 2,186 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:39 PM

I still don't think you can compare Sinfield's achievements with Cam Smith - captained Storm to the Premiership, led Queensland to another SOO win, led Australia in their wins ( although I'm not sure how many games they played!) - but I haven't seen SL this year so hard to judge

#125 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:03 AM

If England were the number one team in the world and an Australian suddenly won it, I guarantee there would be plenty of Englishmen up in arms, just the way it works, every decision that is made is going to have a side that's for it and a side that's against it.

Northern Ireland were bad at soccer but still George Best was the best player in the world. He didn t have to be Brazilian to be the best so It is quite possible that an individual English RL player can be the best although the England national team are not.

#126 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:10 AM

Over the year Kevin was not that great, just like Leeds wasnt. He was fairly quiet in the cup final which Leeds lost. He had a quiet start to the season and It really wasnt until August that Sinfield and Leeds started playing so well. But When you compare him to Cam Smith or Cooper Cronk he did not have a good year as these two who also inspired the team, State and Country to victory. Melbourne were way more consistant throughout the whole season and never outside the top 2, mainly due to Cronk and Smith. When they was busy with Origin, The Storm struggled big time. Sinfield like Leeds had a very good year but still not as good as Cronk or Smith who were consistant from the start to finish. And with respect even as Captain, Smith beats him in that area. And how many people as captain have won the NRL, State of Origin and won all tests? I just cant see how people can say Sinfield has had a better Season than Cronk or Smith either at Club or Representative level.

Didn t Sinfield do what he did with a broken arm th whole season? That s amazing.

#127 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:22 AM

Northern Ireland were bad at soccer but still George Best was the best player in the world. He didn t have to be Brazilian to be the best so It is quite possible that an individual English RL player can be the best although the England national team are not.

He didn't even win Leeds Rhino player of the year or make the super league team of the year but is apparently the best in the world, he bombed in the Challenge Cup Final, has gone missing everytime England have played Australia unlike guys like Ryan Hall who actually did damage against them, Cameron Smith however captained his sides to everything there is to win, Origin, Wins over NZ, his club to a premiership, and above all that, he has alot more quality than Mr Sinfield, I read the reasoning the Panel came up with from the Rugby league World Magazine which is kind of ironic considering it's a British Magazine, they basically said he deserved it because he played awesome in the Grand Final despite getting knocked out, so basically getting beat up in the grand final is what swayed it for him and being a better goal kicker, last time I checked this isn't the best Goal Kicker in the world award, but is apparently the difference between him and Smith, I don't remember Pacquiao receiving any awards after he was knocked out by Marquez, just saying, 1 good game should not cancel out the rest of the years ones, I did watch Super League this season on Euro Sport here in Australia as well as the NRL and Smith was by far the more consistent over the entire season not to mention what he accomplished on a rep level as well as club.

Martyn Sadler, chairman of League Publications Ltd, said: "Kevin can't move as quickly as Ben Barba, or with the elusiveness of Sam Tomkins, while Cameron Smith's ability close to the ruck is surely second to none.
"But Sinfield is a supreme captain, and only Cameron Smith can rival his leadership, while Sinfield's goal-kicking success rate in 2012 was 82.84%, compared to 69.64% for Smith.
"In the Super League Grand Final Sinfield kicked five out of five, from all over the pitch, and that after he had been knocked out earlier by a challenge to the head. What he did in that game goes beyond what could reasonably be expected, even of a Golden Boot winner."

If this was the toughest and bravest in the world award, maybe he might get it but that would probably go to Paul Wood considering he lost part of his manhood and still finished a game, but this is supposed to be the award for the best footballer in the world and that is not Kevin Sinfield.

Edited by 1jordy, 05 January 2013 - 05:26 AM.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#128 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:05 AM

Smith captained the Storm to GF glory - a game the Storm were favourites to win.

Sinfield captained the Rhinos to GF glory - a game that Warrington were favourites to win.

Smith captained Queensland to Origin glory - a series where Queensland were favourites to win.

Sinfield captained the Rhinos to WCC glory - a game where Manly were favourites to win.

Both captained their country to victories in matches they were favourites to win.

Sinfield wins!
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#129 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:29 AM

Smith captained the Storm to GF glory - a game the Storm were favourites to win.

Sinfield captained the Rhinos to GF glory - a game that Warrington were favourites to win.

Smith captained Queensland to Origin glory - a series where Queensland were favourites to win.

Sinfield captained the Rhinos to WCC glory - a game where Manly were favourites to win.

Both captained their country to victories in matches they were favourites to win.

Sinfield wins!

Actually Bulldogs were favorites considering they were the Minor Premiers,

Cameron Smith had alot of pressure on him from the media and all of Queensland frankly due to taking the captaincy from the great Darren Lockyer which i'll also add to his resume and passed with flying colors.

WCC means nothing as the NRL clubs play that game during their preseasons when the players aren't in match fitness and haven't had a chance to gel as a team yet, the game isn't taking that seriously in Australia as it gets zero media coverage don't forget the ridiculous 24 hour trip to even play the game, play the game during both the NRL & Superleague season on Neutral territory and we'll talk.

You conveniently left out Smith Captaining Australia to not one but two wins over New Zealand.

Smith lead his team to 2nd on the table out of 16 teams, Sinfield took Leeds to 5th out of 14 teams and was generally inconsistent throughout the whole season which Smith wasn't.

Sinfield failed in the Cup Final, Smith however didn't fail on any big occasion this season including The Grand Final, Origin and the test matches against New Zealand.

By the way this isn't who's the best captain award, it's the best player in the world and considering Sinfield didn't even win Leeds player of the year award he is not the best in the world a fact that most Englishmen on this forum have even admitted.

Smith is the best Hooker in the world, Sinfield isn't even the best Half in the world.

For me Smith wins!

Edited by 1jordy, 05 January 2013 - 08:30 AM.

#130 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:57 AM

For me Smith wins!

But he didn't, Sir Kev did!

#131 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:17 AM

But he didn't, Sir Kev did!

He won an award a British Magazine Panel gave out, yep congratulations.

#132 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

So if that same panel had awarded it to an aussie would it hold more weight?

If Sir Kev played in the NRL would it be ok with you if he won it then?

#133 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

I still don't think you can compare Sinfield's achievements with Cam Smith - captained Storm to the Premiership, led Queensland to another SOO win, led Australia in their wins ( although I'm not sure how many games they played!) - but I haven't seen SL this year so hard to judge

Cam Smith captained storm to the NRL Premiership; Sinfield captained Leeds to the SL Premiership. Both Storm and Leeds have won a number of them over the last decade. How long has Smith been captain of Storm? Sinfield has been captain of Leeds for their last five wins. So at this point Smith and Sinfield are level pegging. SL doesn't have state of origin just as the NRL doesnt have the challenge cup (in which final Leeds featured) but Leeds did win the World Club Challenge, if that counts. Australia played one international against New Zealand but they chose not to be involved in internationals with England this year so nobody but Australia can be blamed if their unwillingness to play internationals means that Sinfield gets a chance to captain his country to three wins in an international series while Smith only gets the chance to captain his side once.

#134 Saintslass

Saintslass
  • Coach
  • 4,558 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

You conveniently left out Smith Captaining Australia to not one but two wins over New Zealand.

Even England can beat New Zealand so I'm not sure that's such a triumph.

#135 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:03 AM

Even England can beat New Zealand so I'm not sure that's such a triumph.

Are New Zealand not the current World Champs?

#136 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,199 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

Same magazine who've voted for an Aussie every year since 2004. No quibbles then, why now?
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#137 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

So if that same panel had awarded it to an aussie would it hold more weight?

If Sir Kev played in the NRL would it be ok with you if he won it then?

If it was decided by an impartial neutral international board it would have more weight yes, not sure what right this magazine has to say who the best player in the world, the reasons from the Panel for giving this award especially from Martyn bordered on laughable, I'll bring this point up again, do you really believe Kevin Sinfield is the best player in the world because I would love to hear valid reasons as to why he is. I have Sam Burgess, Ryan Hall, Sam Tomkins, Josh Charnley maybe even James Roby in higher regard than him in terms of Talented Footballers and consistency playing well week in week out.

#138 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:15 AM

Same magazine who've voted for an Aussie every year since 2004. No quibbles then, why now?

Hey if they gave it to Sam Tomkins last year I would have had no complaints because he is a tremendous player and did have some great performances against New Zealand aswell as a tremendous Domestic year where he actually played well throughout most of the yell not just in parts, I just don't hold Kevin Sinfield in that same regard, can he be great when he shows up on the day, yes he had a great grand final albeit a poor Cup Final, but does he do it week in week out like a Smith, like a Hall, I don't think so, he just doesn't have the quality that they do, if he is such a great player why did he not even make the Super League team of the year?

Edited by 1jordy, 05 January 2013 - 10:22 AM.

#139 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:20 AM

Double Post

Edited by 1jordy, 05 January 2013 - 10:21 AM.

#140 rlno1

rlno1
  • Coach
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Darren Lockyer was MOTM in the RLWC Final of 2008, most people would have had a Kiwi such as Lance Hohaia as the fair winner.

No whinging from Aussies then.

Edited by rlno1, 05 January 2013 - 10:33 AM.