Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

And the Winner of the Golden Boot is...

Drumroll

• Please log in to reply
343 replies to this topic

#161 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:47 PM

Pretty much everything you mentioned Cameron Smith can do equally if not better in my opinion,

Passing Game - Cameron Smith is one of the best passers in the NRL especially when he runs from Dummy Half and sets up attacks and Line Breaks for guys like Slater and Cronk, it's a key part of the Storm attack, wouldn't be able to tell you how many of his passes have lead to line breaks, Line break assists would be off the chart.

Kicking Game - Kicking game is sublime, go back and watch Origin 1, his kicking game was what won QLD that game, the game was in their own half for about 10 minutes, 2 or 3 incredible long range kicks and QLD got control of the game and went on to win when all the momentum was with the opposition, plenty of the Storms tries came from his kicks, most of them to Slater.

Tackling - Smith has been considered for many years as the best defender in Rugby league, has averaged over 40 tackles a game for as long as I can remember.

Versatility - Maybe goes to Sinfield as Smith doesn't move from Half Back or Hooker.

Support Play - Well that's more of a backs role not a Hookers but look at most of the Storm tries and Cam will pretty much play a key role in setting all of them up.

Toughness - Him, Slater and Cronk get targeted more than Hot Chips at an all you can eat buffet and still manage to suck it up and play their natural games.

Ruck play - This is where he excels - no one in the game of Rugby league controls the Ruck like he does, i'd argue the Ruck is one of if not the most important part of the game

Leadership Skills - Probably even I guess, although Cameron does have better consistency in his game than Kevin, Cameron did have the pressure of taking the captaincy from Lockyer with all the media and fans pressure that come with it and still lead Australia to wins over New Zealand, wins over NSW I already mentioned how important he was in origin 1 and his team to a premiership, Kevin lead his team to 5th on the table and a cup final loss, Grand Final performance was exceptional, I did watch the game on Euro Sport and thought he played well but one game still doesn't make you the best in the world.

Size - Smith isn't the biggest of guys either, still manages 40+ tackles and still barely misses any.

Some good points though but I still think Cam does the basics better than anyone despite not being Flashy like a Tomkins, Hall and a Slater. Based on what the Chairman of the magazine said does Cameron have to get knocked out to win this award?

Im not even a QLD fan and I hate the club he plays for but I respect him as a footballer just like I respect guys like Tomkins, Hall, Charnley, S Burgess.

They are very similar in the way they play the game and in their accomplishments this last season. Cameron Smith is without doubt a world class player. It must have been a very close vote between the two for this award and I think Kevin got the 'benefit of the doubt' vote. The Australians have dominated this award and probably will continue to do so in the future and Cam Smith may win it again. Sinfield has maybe one or two seasons left at most before he's too old so I think it's a deserved honour for an exceptional season and a career body of work.

#162 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

this is from last year

http://blogs.bettor....players-a111066

Do the Kiwis have some input on who wins the Award?

Edited by AndyCapp, 05 January 2013 - 02:03 PM.

#163 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

They are very similar in the way they play the game and in their accomplishments this last season. Cameron Smith is without doubt a world class player. It must have been a very close vote between the two for this award and I think Kevin got the 'benefit of the doubt' vote. The Australians have dominated this award and probably will continue to do so in the future and Cam Smith may win it again. Sinfield has maybe one or two seasons left at most before he's too old so I think it's a deserved honour for an exceptional season and a career body of work.

Its a vote by an English publication that no one at this stage can state who the Judge's are.
May as well be a vote from the punters on this Forum if the credentials of the Judges or even identities can not be revealed.
Me and my Mates think Paul Gallen and Jono Thurston should be candidates, does it mean any more than the nameless people that voted for Sinfield?

#164 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,778 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

For the past couple of years RLW has published a list of who exactly was on the panel and where each panelist distributed their voting. I don't have this month's mag yet, but if the voting has changed and it hasn't been revealed that is very disappointing. I presume you have at least looked at this months issue AndyCapp?

Does anyone have the mag and can enlighten us?

Edited by Amber Avenger, 05 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#165 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Pretty much everything you mentioned Cameron Smith can do equally if not better in my opinion,

Thanks for your opinion
Do you pundit on the Oscars as well?

#166 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I may have been brought up differently to some of the posters in this thread but I was taught that if someone won something,even if you didn't agree with it,you had the good manners to congratulate them.Shows how graceless some people are really.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#167 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

For the past couple of years RLW has published a list of who exactly was on the panel and where each panelist distributed their voting. I don't have this month's mag yet, but if the voting has changed and it hasn't been revealed that is very disappointing. I presume you have at least looked at this months issue AndyCapp?

Does anyone have the mag and can enlighten us?

No I do not, I have asked the people that run the Mag several times in the last couple of days though.

#168 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:09 PM

I may have been brought up differently to some of the posters in this thread but I was taught that if someone won something,even if you didn't agree with it,you had the good manners to congratulate them.Shows how graceless some people are really.

Correct, it's called sportsmanship, fair play.

#169 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

You are not allowed to ask who the Judges are?

#170 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:12 PM

A player who plays for a Salary cap cheat versus honest club player!!

#171 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

A player who plays for a Salary cap cheat versus honest club player!!

What does that mean?

#172 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:22 PM

You are not allowed to ask who the Judges are?

Nothing to do with asking who the judges are.That's a fair question.

#173 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:24 PM

This Man is upset it seems.
http://www.leaguefre...the-world-3611/

#174 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:51 PM

Thanks for your opinion
Do you pundit on the Oscars as well?

It's an opinion that 90% of people even most English people agree on based on the comments I've read on here, when Sinfield decides to show up to a game against Australia and not be a complete waste of space than I might change my opinion, thank you for taking time out of your day and replying to my irrelevant opinion.

Edited by 1jordy, 05 January 2013 - 02:53 PM.

St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#175 West Country Eagle

West Country Eagle
  • Coach
  • 5,817 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

One thing I do agree on is that most Aussies Journo's are complete idiots.

Edited for accuracy
Bristol Sonics Rugby League
2007 & 2008 West Midlands RLC Champions
2008 RLC Regional Grand Finalists
2008 RLC Team Of The Year
2011 RLC Midlands Premier Champions
www.bristolsonics.com

� Stupid Questions League Winner 2004 �

#176 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:14 PM

What does that mean?

Cameron Smith plays for cheats and Sinfield doesn't

#177 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 5,613 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

It's an opinion that 90% of people even most English people agree on based on the comments I've read on here, when Sinfield decides to show up to a game against Australia and not be a complete waste of space than I might change my opinion, thank you for taking time out of your day and replying to my irrelevant opinion.

Give us our moment in the sun. I'm sure next season an Aussie will win once again. I just hope Sinfield shows up in the World Cup, which Australia don't hold, by the way, and England beat you lot. It's not likely but the whinning when you don't win absolutely everything by acclamation is arrogance personified. Have some dignity in defeat.

#178 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,428 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

Give us our moment in the sun. I'm sure next season an Aussie will win once again. I just hope Sinfield shows up in the World Cup, which Australia don't hold, by the way, and England beat you lot. It's not likely but the whinning when you don't win absolutely everything by acclamation is arrogance personified. Have some dignity in defeat.

The words dignity and Australia don't go together,unfortunately.

#179 1jordy

1jordy
  • Coach
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:28 PM

I've praised the likes of Hall, Charnley, Tomkins in my posts, don't see how im being anti English and even said I wouldn't have complained if Tomkins won it especially for his Four Nations performances last year and his solid domestic season, Sinfield I do have an issue with, the wrong Englishmen won it, a back three of Hall, Charnley and Tomkins would put fear into any defence if you ask me, I never said you don't have quality in your side, I just don't rate Sinfield.
St George Illawarra Dragons fan with a Soft Spot for Wigan in the Super League.

#180 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,621 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 03:29 PM

The words dignity and Australia don't go together,unfortunately.

Yeah, they struggle with fair play, honesty and respectful towards others!!

No wonder tony smith became English :P