Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Lions Help to Save the Pinks!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

It seems that we have become complicit in the fight to save our neighbours!

http://www.reds.co.u...to-save-salford

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#2 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

It seems that we have become complicit in the fight to save our neighbours!

http://www.reds.co.u...to-save-salford

Its good to see we are bigger than them. We don't stab our neighbours in the back.

#3 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Classy move!
Posted Image

#4 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Well done John - Rugby League is the winner

#5 Shizonamy

Shizonamy
  • Coach
  • 1,008 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

More coverage on bbc website
http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20911585
"A lion sleeps in the heart of every brave man." Turkish Proverb

Posted Image

Posted Image

#6 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

More coverage on bbc website

Thanks for that - as I said Rugby League is the winner with gestures like this and great to see our club the initiator

#7 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

Yes some good positive publicity for us to go with the Agecroft planning application.

#8 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:29 AM

Yes some good positive publicity for us to go with the Agecroft planning application.

Hear, hear.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#9 class of 63

class of 63
  • Coach
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Mentioned on the BBC Red Button this morning

#10 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:59 AM

I agree it makes us look great, but I remember back to 1992 when they voted against us to go into the league. What goes around comes around,sorry guys but I would have told them to shove it

#11 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,915 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

I know exactly what you mean green grass. ..but that's what makes it an even better gesture.
We have showed them we are a different class.

#12 PaulT

PaulT
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Makes us look like the bigger men.

In the long term, this gesture from John Kidd and the rest of the board can only be good for Swinton.

Posted Image

#13 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 196 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 04:23 PM

Yeah I agree could be massive gesture for agecroft, thats why I am not chairman I would wear my heart on sleeve ha ha

#14 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

In fairness John Wilkinson cast that vote against Malcolm White as much as anything. From what I've heard the two of them didn't exactly see eye-to-eye, from which we could perhaps conclude John Wilkinson's not that bad a judge of character!

In many ways its a pity more wasn't done to marginalise Mr White out of rugby league even sooner - Swinton Lions may have been in much better shape today.

Besides, the fact Swinton Lions has since spent a full season playing home matches at the Willows indicates relations are nowadays much more cordial (within limits, naturally(!) - but that's rivalry).

Edited by PhillH, 05 January 2013 - 05:12 PM.

#15 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,709 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:16 PM

Mentioned on the BBC Red Button this morning

Yes, I know, I saw it too. Much more and they'll have to rename it the 'Blue Button'.

#16 lionsfanusa

lionsfanusa
  • Coach
  • 411 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

From BBC Sport today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk...league/20932985
Posted Image

#17 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:33 PM

It was interesting to hear on the terraces yesterday that the money collected by the 'forever reds' group of supporters will not be turning it over to the John Wilkinson regime, rather straight to the new management committee, as they don't have much faith in JW using it in the right way!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#18 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

It was interesting to hear on the terraces yesterday that the money collected by the 'forever reds' group of supporters will not be turning it over to the John Wilkinson regime, rather straight to the new management committee, as they don't have much faith in JW using it in the right way!

The fighting fund was not set up by Forever Reds (whose main driving force lives in Swinton) and not managed by anyone that works directly for Salford City Reds RLFC. One of the people that set it up is Steve McCormick who is involved at Folly Lane ARLFC.

Quite why the people that set up the fund didn't want to use the Forever Reds route I don't quite understand, but they are obviously wary that openness is important to avoid people being deterred from donating due to suspicions that funds might go the same way as the £500k Bradford supporters raised in similar circumstances which didn't stave off administration but still "disappeared". In situations like this people are understandably more interested in keeping the club going than they are in covering historic debt.

Anything they are likely to raise will be a drop in the ocean compared to what's really needed to get Salford out of the predicament though, in truth.

A potential White Knight is appearing over the horizon in the shape of Marwan Koukash. Just don't have a home game when there's racing on at Haydock or Chester.

#19 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,601 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

Phil, having carried out some work for forever reds and therefore you will understand client confidentiality, the reason for not collecting via FR is due to the rules governing how they use monies which it raises and tax implications.
On the matter of their White knight, am I being cynical in thinking there is a grander picture here.
Peel holdings have been desperate to build a race course and now all of a sudden they are back in discussions with a multimillion pound horse owner and involving the council....just a coincidence surely.

#20 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

I agree Alan,why would such a person want to invest in a struggling Rugby League club like Salford without there being an ulterior motive.Time will tell.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users