Lions Help to Save the Pinks!

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 2,943 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:43 PM

Phil, having carried out some work for forever reds and therefore you will understand client confidentiality, the reason for not collecting via FR is due to the rules governing how they use monies which it raises and tax implications.
On the matter of their White knight, am I being cynical in thinking there is a grander picture here.
Peel holdings have been desperate to build a race course and now all of a sudden they are back in discussions with a multimillion pound horse owner and involving the council....just a coincidence surely.

Being equally cynical peel have also announced a highly unpopular plan to build on all the green belt of Hazel Hurst and broad oak
What's the betting the deal goes along the lines of .....allow us our race course we won't build the houses?

#22 Paul Davidson

Paul Davidson
  • Coach
  • 578 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:54 PM

Surely any dubious activity by this Council in connection with Salford Reds will not go down well from now on!
The Labour councillors would surely be worried about their 52/8 majority!!! :huh:

#23 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Peel's big mistake was wanting to use the title "Manchester" Racecourse, if they had instead wanted to label it "Salford" while based in Worsley, John Merry would no doubt have moved heaven and earth to make it happen. But under the name of Manchester Racecourse it could never match his template for social engineering.

Although the Salford City Stadium West Stand would be better suited to a racecourse than its current utility, my feeling is that Manchester Racecourse is a dead duck.

If we are looking for an ulterior motive I'd say a more likely angle is that Salford City Council and Peel are desperate to develop the land around Salford City Stadium, something that was originally meant to happen using private money i.e. Red City Developments. Property development is exactly how Dr Koukash has made his, errrrm, cash......

So a more likely deal might be - Koukash injects money up front in return for a cut of the action on developing the rest of the site, with a bundle of council guarantees thrown in.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#24 wberry

wberry
  • Coach
  • 453 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:54 PM

I think your on the money philh

Wayne

#25 Blue Monkey

Blue Monkey
  • Coach
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:03 PM

Peel's big mistake was wanting to use the title "Manchester" Racecourse, if they had instead wanted to label it "Salford" while based in Worsley, John Merry would no doubt have moved heaven and earth to make it happen. But under the name of Manchester Racecourse it could never match his template for social engineering.

Although the Salford City Stadium West Stand would be better suited to a racecourse than its current utility, my feeling is that Manchester Racecourse is a dead duck.

...a dead duck? That "Duck" died nearly 50 years ago when Manchester Racecourse (Castle Irwell, Salford) closed for good in November 1963. It's now largely covered by a student villiage for Salford University. It was the site of a huge loop, or meander in the River Irwell.

#26 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:11 PM

...a dead duck? That "Duck" died nearly 50 years ago when Manchester Racecourse (Castle Irwell, Salford) closed for good in November 1963. It's now largely covered by a student villiage for Salford University. It was the site of a huge loop, or meander in the River Irwell.

As a racing fan whenever the November Handicap comes around (now run at Donny) I tend to pander for Castle Irwell to be relaunched.

There's still a few remnants / tell tale signs to be spotted - the Racecourse pub on Littleton Road (where I did a stint behind the bar in my student days and has a few interesting pictures inside), Punters Restaurant, plus the former main stand is still doing a job as a student bar (must have been built to last!). In the boundary wall the site of the old turnstiles is still very clear.

It wouldn't take too massive a leap of faith to re-open the place actually, probably within the sort of budget Marwan Koukash could afford to splash out. Now that would be a grand rumour.....

#27 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:52 AM

Any sport and I use that term loosely,that involves beating an animal in an effort to satisfy gamblers is in my opinion best consigned to the past. The more race tracks that close the better.

#28 Pugwash

Pugwash
  • Coach
  • 1,831 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

How did this go down with my mate Spelly? I can imagine he was overjoyed to hear his hard-earned was going to the 'pinks'.

Pugwash.
Bobbie Goulding is God
Posted Image

DeepakChopra:

"Every time you are tempted to react in the same old way, ask yourself if you want to be a prisoner of the past or a pioneer of the future".

War doesn't decide who is right, just who is left!

Andrew Birch is Pugwash.

#29 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:50 PM

Quelle suprisé.....

http://menmedia.co.u...stadium-buy-out

"Salford City Reds’potential new owner Marman Koukash is understood to also be considering buying the club’s Salford City Stadium home.

Dr Koukash and his representatives have held separate talks with land owners Peel Holdings and Salford City Council to discuss the move.

Sources close to the multi-millionaire race horse owner say Dr Koukash (pictured) believes it would be in both his and Salford’s best long-term interest to also own the £26m stadium to generate additional revenue."

A more accurate portrayal is probably..... Dr Marwan Koukash agreeing to take over Salford City Reds is dependent on the deal including at least a share of the surrounding site and council guarantees on planning permission for retail use.....

Sainsbury's Barton here we come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users