#1 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:26 AM

It looks like Martin Gleeson will play for Salford against Swinton on Sunday;

http://menmedia.co.u...ke-his-reds-bow

or see below:

Salford Reds coach Phil Veivers is set to play former GB centre Martin Gleeson in Sunday's pre-season clash with Swinton at Barton.

A debut for Gleeson adds further spice to what is a very significant fixture for the City Reds as they seek new investment to secure the club's long-term future.

Gleeson, 32, is in line to land a two year contract with the Reds once new investment in the club is completed.

He has been training with Salford for the past six weeks and has greatly impressed the coaching staff with both his attitude and fitness levels.

Gleeson returns to Super League after serving a two year drugs ban.

He was a target for rugby union clubs on his return to action but wants to again prove himself in Super League.

The two-year ban was imposed on him by the RFL during his time at Hull.

Gleeson is in good shape according to Veivers.

Optimistic

He is a free agent at the moment and is likely to ‘guest’ for the Reds until his move is officially finalised.

Meanwhile, investment talks are still at a delicate stage and remain on going but all parties remain optimistic regarding Salford's future.

The RFL are still acting on Salford's behalf trying to secure investment.

They want the matter resolving by mid January at the latest.

The new Super League season starts in early February.

The game's governing body remain hopeful that a suitable deal is imminent.

Swinton boss Paul Kidd offers a show of solidarity ahead of Reds clash

Show of strength before potential investors crucial to Salford’s hopes

Salford are expected to start the new campaign.

No Championship club is currently on stand-by to take Salford's position in Super League.

Potential new investors could well be present at Sunday's game.

ChairmanJohn Wilkinson is upbeat and doing everything in his power to secure Salford's future.

The Forever Reds supporters group are again appealing to the local community to turn out in number for the Swinton clash and send out a positive message to the RL fraternity.

Shirley Bradshaw, chair person for the group says: “This is a great opportunity for all the Reds fans to really show there is genuine interest and passion in the Salford club.

“We would like to see as many fans as possible attending the game on Sunday. We have to help the club all we can at this time.

“A good turn-out from the fans could play a big part in convincing new investors that the club is worth supporting.

“They may need to see just how much this club matters to the fans and the city.

“When the last ever game was played at The Willows, the locals really turned out in force.

“We need them to do the same on Sunday.

“We are doing everything we can to help the situation.

“Sunday's game is very important and is more than just a pre-season friendly.''

Swinton Lions football director Paul Kidd says: “We will certainly also do all we can to help Salford at this time.

“We are looking forward to playing Salford at Barton and we will continue to back Salford to the hilt.”

Theo Fages, the highly rated young French half-back on Salford's books, may also figure in Sunday's clash.

Reds bosses are pleased with Fages' progress since they took him under their wing last year.

Hooker Wayne Godwin is also back to full fitness after having suffered a broken arm mid way through last season in the derby clash with Warrington.

#2 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,220 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

Good player but I wonder how long it will be before something involving Sean Long and him ends up going pear-shaped.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#3 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,419 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:07 PM

Maybe thats why Bet Fred isnt interested !

#4 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 985 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:36 PM

He's had more comebacks than Frank Sinatra!

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,711 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 08:06 AM

just what salford need..

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 RIGGY

RIGGY
  • Coach
  • 1,787 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

If he gets a game it will be interesting to see him play against his old side Swinton where he played one game at Gigg Lane all those years ago !

#7 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,706 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

He actually seemed remarkably fit considering. Still a strong centre.

i am worried about him teaming up with Long but beggars can't be choosers.

#8 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,869 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

He actually seemed remarkably fit considering. Still a strong centre.

i am worried about him teaming up with Long but beggars can't be choosers.

The thing is - he is a quality player. He may have issues, but then that is up to Vievers to keep a tight reign on his players. I'm sure he will have something to prove, and on the field I thought he never let Warrington down.

#9 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,061 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

He is a wonderful player, and will strengthen pretty much any team he joins. So much of his game comes from his rugby knowledge, skill and balance, rather than pace, so Salford need not be too concerned. I am very pleased to see him back in the game.

#10 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

I will give it three months before longy n glesson cover themselves in controversy yet again either collectively or individually.

Would have thought that Salford had enough on their plate at the moment without pairing up "butch n sundance " for one last hurrah!

Edited by Back In The Good Old Days, 08 January 2013 - 05:56 PM.

#11 alan30058

alan30058
  • Coach
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

Good player but I wonder how long it will be before something involving Sean Long and him ends up going pear-shaped.

Give it till March ^_^

#12 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

Glad to see Martin Gleeson back. He was hard done to at Hull FC from how I understood it. Hope it goes well at Salford for him.
As for Longy, he's next due back in court mid January apparently.

#13 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,142 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:19 PM

Good luck to the lad he was sold down the river by the RFL and deserves another chance.

CM

didn't he fail a drugs test?
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#14 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,564 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:42 PM

The thing is - he is a quality player. He may have issues, but then that is up to Vievers to keep a tight reign on his players. I'm sure he will have something to prove, and on the field I thought he never let Warrington down.

Totally agree, never let us down. Exciting player to watch.... Went to Wigan and won the GF with an amazing performance

He is a wonderful player, and will strengthen pretty much any team he joins. So much of his game comes from his rugby knowledge, skill and balance, rather than pace, so Salford need not be too concerned. I am very pleased to see him back in the game.

Great replacement for moon if he comes back strongly.... Fingers crossed for the lad, great servant for the wire

Nice post EW

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users