Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Newspaper Archive

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:18 PM

I was searching for something, and stumbled upon this site. Thought people might be interested in looking up old RL stories.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Just done a search for the phrase "All Golds" and turned up reports for their tour matches. LINK

Edited by Futtocks, 04 January 2013 - 02:35 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

From 1907

"The 'All Golds' seemed to recognise that the contest they had entered Into was going to be a hard fought one, while on the other hand their opponents, who have been dubbed the "Lily Whites," think that the affair Is hardly worthy of notice, calling the League a nine days' wonder". The 'All Golds' tonked them.

"The general opinion of members of the Metropolitan Rugby Union is that the new League will disappear like the comet". Ho ho.

B)

#4 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,642 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

From 1907

"The 'All Golds' seemed to recognise that the contest they had entered Into was going to be a hard fought one, while on the other hand their opponents, who have been dubbed the "Lily Whites," think that the affair Is hardly worthy of notice, calling the League a nine days' wonder". The 'All Golds' tonked them.

"The general opinion of members of the Metropolitan Rugby Union is that the new League will disappear like the comet". Ho ho.

B)

Great stuff.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#5 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,715 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

Strange you should post this. I was in an antique shop today and found a copy of the Daily Mirror from 1938 or 39. There was a small article about how Bramley had always struggled against the odds to compete but were hoping to beat Wakey in a cup game. There was another line saying the GB RL team had beaten France in Bordeaux something like 12-3. And that was pretty much it.
Oh and it was the Northern edition.

Edited by Johnoco, 04 January 2013 - 08:35 PM.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#6 metallithrax

metallithrax
  • Players
  • 62 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:20 PM

The images you see on this site, is what I do for a living. Not in Australia, but here in the UK. I work for a Microfilm/Document Scanning Bureau and spend my time QA'ing a lot of images from old newspapers which then are sent to be put online. Can be a pain in the ass really when dealing with 100+ year old stuff.

But the work does give me an insite into how life was in the past.

#7 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

The images you see on this site, is what I do for a living. Not in Australia, but here in the UK. I work for a Microfilm/Document Scanning Bureau and spend my time QA'ing a lot of images from old newspapers which then are sent to be put online. Can be a pain in the ass really when dealing with 100+ year old stuff.

I occasionally do similar scan'n'tidy up jobs on old sheet music. Not hugely technically demanding on the whole, but always time-consuming.

#8 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,379 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:36 PM

I was searching for something, and stumbled upon this site. Thought people might be interested in looking up old RL stories.

Thanks mate. Found some very interesting stuff on Don Graham who played for Fev back in the early 50s.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#9 amh

amh
  • 11,083 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:44 PM

looks great at first glance and I've shared on twitter - see you in a fortneet when I've stopped reading :D

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#10 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,075 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

If there's anything you like, you can save either the text or a PDF of the original article. Nice option, that.

#11 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

great site some cup results from 1923 here, http://trove.nla.gov...e&searchLimits=

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users