Premier League Years

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:08 PM

I've been watching alot premier league years recently and I just can't help but just notice at how good the end of the season drama is. Its not just the promotion and relegation in general which I don't want this thread to turn into but I feel this is one thing we are severely lacking. Ageuros goal in the last minute for City still gives me goosebumps when I watch it, just watching Hull City stay up and the fans running onto the pitch whilst newcastle fans were crying watching their team go down. Or the drama a few seasons ago when Arsenal clinched 4th spot from Spurs after half a dozen spurs players got food poisoning.

Is there any way we can add to the end of season thrill. The only thing I think we've had close to soccer is when Cudjoe made that interception at the halliwell jones stadium and watching Nathan Brown run up the sideline cheering him on.

Any ideas which could try and add to the end of season excitement, because I feel this is the way in which will get more supporters into the game.

(Please don't debate the pros and cons of p and r ect ect)

#2 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,835 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:12 PM

It's all down to numbers IMO. The main thing is the sheer number of people following it, not that it's necessarily that good.

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#3 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:29 PM

I prefer RL to soccer any day of the week. I can't watch a whole soccer game without getting bored, except on a rare occasion. But the last moments of the season I can't help but love it, I just wish we could capture similar moments of drama in RL.

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,835 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:05 PM

We already know that one of 3 teams will win the PL and probably Man U at that. The teams relegated will probably be likely already too.

Not sure its all that exciting IMO.

#5 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

I've been watching alot premier league years recently and I just can't help but just notice at how good the end of the season drama is. Its not just the promotion and relegation in general which I don't want this thread to turn into but I feel this is one thing we are severely lacking. Ageuros goal in the last minute for City still gives me goosebumps when I watch it, just watching Hull City stay up and the fans running onto the pitch whilst newcastle fans were crying watching their team go down. Or the drama a few seasons ago when Arsenal clinched 4th spot from Spurs after half a dozen spurs players got food poisoning.

Is there any way we can add to the end of season thrill. The only thing I think we've had close to soccer is when Cudjoe made that interception at the halliwell jones stadium and watching Nathan Brown run up the sideline cheering him on.

Any ideas which could try and add to the end of season excitement, because I feel this is the way in which will get more supporters into the game.

(Please don't debate the pros and cons of p and r ect ect)

Sorry our kid but 5 minutes of excitement after 9 months of effort, can't compete with the excitement we see week in week out. But I do wish the soccer fans could see what we see.
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#6 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 426 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

This thread is idiotic, the Grand Final and play-offs are a far better climax than the final day of the football season which more often than not is a damp squib with everything decided in advance.

#7 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,984 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:40 AM

This thread is idiotic, the Grand Final and play-offs are a far better climax than the final day of the football season which more often than not is a damp squib with everything decided in advance.

Name a premier league season this century which has had everything settled before the last day, well to back up your statement you should be able too find me seven.

I'm not saying the season ends on a whimper in any means. There just never seems to be that many talking points apart from the one game at the end.

I'm a neutral when it comes to SL I don't favour any team so I just want to see the most entertaining product. The last game of the season was entertaining yes but there wasn't that much to talk about on the back of it. How could a non RL fan talk about the end of the season on the back of it, realistically they couldn't.

There isn't any talking points non RL fans can talk about, and giving other fans something to talk about is how you get them to know about and involved the game.

#8 Odsal Outlaw

Odsal Outlaw
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 12:53 AM

I think one thing we could do to make it more exciting is having all the games on final day of the season kick off together at the same time on the same day. Have two matches live and have reporters at all grounds feeding results in, would be great I think! I don't think it's fair st present with teams kicking off on different days when it can affect league position.
Nottingham Outlaws Rugby League
Harry Jepson Winners 2008
RLC Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008
East Midlands Challenge Cup Winners 2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008
Rotterdam International 9's Cup Winners 2005
RLC North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

#9 shaun mc

shaun mc
  • Coach
  • 1,627 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:23 AM

Thats a good suggestion. I think that is where the last day of whichever league in football (such as the Championship) all have their games kick-off at the same time, creates so much drama, excitement and talking points. We miss out on that potential.
However, what would our paymasters think of it all?
Would they show 2 games on 2 different Sky channels?
Would all games have to kick-off at 6.30pm on a Saturday to do this i.e get the football out of the way?

#10 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,744 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

Great idea having them all at the same time. That is what takes the excitement out of it in SL. You have one game the day before, and if they win its over. There's no to-ing or fro-ing.

Posted Image

#11 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 10:09 AM

Great idea having them all at the same time. That is what takes the excitement out of it in SL. You have one game the day before, and if they win its over. There's no to-ing or fro-ing.

But surely Sky want the games spread over a weekend - Friday night, Saturday, Sunday and Monday don't they?
I agree about the soccer format. However, it'd take more than an exciting fixture format to get me to watch soccer - I'd sooner watch paint dry.
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#12 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 19,835 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

95% of the teams involved (in all 3 lower divisions) will never reach the PL, so why do they see it as exciting yet some RL fans say its pointless? Worse, boycott games.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users