Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

score update

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

I thought we did alright for a first run out. Keighley had a game last week and they appeared just a little bit sharper for it.
Definitely some work to be done with the kicking game and hopefully a bit of full back coaching for Dean McGilvray ( where are you Broady?)
All in all I would think the coaches won't be too disappointed. I think that the next two friendlies will be just about the right level to prepare us for what is to come.

Just to digress a little, I drove up today and whilst the 200 miles up was easy enough, the M6 on a Sunday evening wasn't much fun coming home.
From now on I'll use the train the cost is the same and the train is a longer day but its a lot easier.

Edited by bearman, 06 January 2013 - 08:39 PM.

Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#22 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

Kurt Kaggerty was MOM for me. I think when he settles with Liam H in the second row they'll be a handfull. I also agree the kicking both with conversions and field kicking were woeful. This aspect must be improved. I thought the Raiders defence was very sound until they tired later in the game and Keighley scored two tries.

I presume the game was not on RC. Why was this because there was full live commentary of all the Bluebirds friendlies although some were played in mid week.

Posted Image

#23 dwb

dwb
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Not a bad first game of the season against good opposition, my biggest concern is our lack of size in the pack, Keighley weren't the biggest team but they were still bigger than us.
We certainly won't be able to compete with the likes of Halifax, Fev, Sheffield and Batley down the middle, I know Holty has expressed a need for another 2nd rower, but I think our biggest priority is a line breaking prop with experience to lead the pack, if we could get one a big Tongan or Samoan would be nice but I realise they wouldn't come cheap, so we would have to settle for someone closer to home. I also agree the need for a goal kicker is vital, as games like today's are won or lost by 2 or 3 points.

welcome back mate..

Edited by dwb, 06 January 2013 - 09:27 PM.

#24 HP Beans

HP Beans
  • Coach
  • 312 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

been down this road to many times my freind. we are going to miss ryan shaw big style this season. all games are going to be hard , there will be no gimmies in this league so conversions are going to have be put on the score board. .scott kaigan started off well but as the game wore on some of his field kicks were going down the throats of the catchers imo.

Agreed Ryan is an excellent kicker,but so was Darren Holt.

With Holty being coach maybe he can coach people how to kick,that is what his job is after all?

Spend an hour before training and an hour after training if that,s what it takes,you only get out what you put in?

#25 mjc

mjc
  • Coach
  • 292 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:48 PM

I was informed that keighley have played 2 games b4 today and think it showed towards the end of the game but saying that i believe we showed enough ability( kicking aside) to make me think we can hold our own in this league ! mid table wud be a good result this year as a learning curve this season with the quality we'll b facing . well done today lads :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

#26 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:22 PM

I was impressed with Finchy when he was on. I'd like to see him given a chance at half back.

Posted Image

#27 shun

shun
  • Coach
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

I thought we did alright for a first run out. Keighley had a game last week and they appeared just a little bit sharper for it.
Definitely some work to be done with the kicking game and hopefully a bit of full back coaching for Dean McGilvray ( where are you Broady?)
All in all I would think the coaches won't be too disappointed. I think that the next two friendlies will be just about the right level to prepare us for what is to come.

Just to digress a little, I drove up today and whilst the 200 miles up was easy enough, the M6 on a Sunday evening wasn't much fun coming home.
From now on I'll use the train the cost is the same and the train is a longer day but its a lot easier.

at least you will be able to get to games on a sunday. You have to travel 200 mile and i cant even get a train from 30 odd mile away because trains dont run from Millom to barrow on a Sunday. Shocking.

#28 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:27 AM

I'm surprised that nobody has equated the fact that we looked a bit tired towards the end with the fact that Keighley used three more players than us. That is bound to have had an effect.
I thought it was a hard fought entertaining match and given that Keighley finished fairly well up the Championship last year I honestly think there were a lot more positives than negatives for us to take from yesterday.
All in all I thought it was a good effort by the Barrow team and I am certain that they will continue to improve week on week.

Posted Image

#29 bearman

bearman
  • Coach
  • 2,236 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:53 AM

at least you will be able to get to games on a sunday. You have to travel 200 mile and i cant even get a train from 30 odd mile away because trains dont run from Millom to barrow on a Sunday. Shocking.

The problem I will have for the next couple of weeks is I will have to leave home at 7.30amand won't get in until 11.30pm.
When the kick offs change to 3pm I can get a much later train 11.10 from Rugby and home by just after 10. ( at the moment that train wouldn't get me into Barrow until 2.07.)
But back to your problem, surely there must be others in the Millom area that might be interested in a car share. Anyone know anyone that can help Shun out?
Ron Banks
Bears and Barrow

#30 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:58 AM

Bus?

#31 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:56 AM

I can't really comment on this as I couldn't make yesterday. But the result doesn't seem to bad given It was Keighleys 3rd friendly.

#32 Rach

Rach
  • Coach
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

I was informed that keighley have played 2 games b4 today

. But the result doesn't seem to bad given It was Keighleys 3rd friendly.

We've only played Halifax on Boxing Day and 8 of the lads in our squad didnt play in that game .

#33 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:54 AM

We've only played Halifax on Boxing Day and 8 of the lads in our squad didnt play in that game .

Its ok Rach, we are scrabbling for excuses for losing at home to you guys......lol

Better team won on the day. We will be hoping for an improvement next week :)

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#34 D11

D11
  • Coach
  • 1,116 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

Its ok Rach, we are scrabbling for excuses for losing at home to you guys......lol

Better team won on the day. We will be hoping for an improvement next week :)

Couldnt agree more Morty

"we all make mistakes that's why they put rubbers on pencils"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users