TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Todays Game

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 06:21 PM

Whatever that was, it wasnt rugby league! or at least how it should be played. I wasnt expecting a win but I wasnt expecting to get beat by 40 points either. Salford didnt look much better than a decent championship side (but for a few 5 minute spells) and we still got battered!

At best I could say we matched them in the middle of the park in spells. Brad Dwyer looked good when he came on and instantly improved our kicking game, Morrison is continuing to show his potential.

Im not going to name names yet as its a bit too soon to judge, but I will say theres a couple lads who dont immediately seem up to the job.
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#2 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

People need to be realistic. The fact is the squad has lost a large part of its most talented from 2012 (where the win column only registered 4) and the replacements are unproven.

The Championship is filled with properly matured players who are stronger than you find in the SL academy (evidenced by Leigh beating Wigan's youngsters today 30-6), so even the dual registered guys are facing a step up.

Danny Bridge showed up well. I would be confident he will hold his own at Championship level. That said, I wouldn't put him in the same class as Carl Forster.

Gavin Bennion also showed potential when he came on.

Josh Barlow looks a candidate for the defensive work horse role.

I guess there were a few missing (for no apparent reason) - Darren Hawkyard, Kevin Penny and most influentially of all Mark Smith. Smith's absence today I thought stood out like a sore thumb.

There was a much better pattern with the ball after Ian Watson went off and Martin Ainscough moved inside in the second half, in my opinion. Prior to that it was very pedestrian and one-dimentional.
Rugby League - great game, shame about the administration.

#3 bigtony

bigtony
  • Coach
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

I think swinton will face stronger and better teams in the championship than salford

#4 mark richardson

mark richardson
  • Coach
  • 3,064 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

Our new faces only trained with us for the first time on Friday
Im really looking forward to the new season
Bags of potential and talent to see in the weeks to come.
Some great young players on the pitch for us
I think it's going to be a good season.

#5 LOYALION

LOYALION
  • Coach
  • 947 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:13 PM

Some good performances today during a game that was ruined for me! We looked light in defence up the middle but Morrison left a few on the floor. Bags of effort from our no. 5 and Dryer looked good when he came on (can't understand why Watto played for so long, we know about him!). Some great kick offs from Ballard too but, for effort, I gave it to Barrow who was nackered by half time but kept going all game.
I was sat amongst a group of opposition fans who preferred to moan about their predicament all game rather than march it. I swear one of them only faced the pitch during half time. It was a 'reverse Posnan!

"no-one knows what it's like to be the bad man.........behind blue eyes"

#6 Bryce

Bryce
  • Coach
  • 911 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I wasn't impressed. 6 lads signed in the last week, and it showed.
Brad Dwyer is pure quality, but we missed Smithy massively. No Daz Hawkyard or Kev Penny.

I thought you'd have commented negatively on Barlow, Phil? Offside...penalty...Salford try.

Some of the defence was laughable. Two Broughton tries were the easiest he'll score all season. And the inside pass late in the 2nd half which confused our forward line was an embarrassment.

On the positive, Dwyer was good, I'Anson and Ainscough looked good. Let's see how we go against Leigh. I'm looking forward to the season, and I expect more than 4 wins once our squad gets a few games together.

#7 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,598 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:08 PM

Dissapointed today,honestly thought the game would have been much closely contested.Everything we did was pedestrian and we offered very little offensively.

#8 Furryenzo

Furryenzo
  • Coach
  • 913 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:16 PM

Agreed about the kick offs, completely baffled the opposition on more than one occasion. Im going to disagree about the number 5. Physically he is clearly where he needs to be, looked quick and big. But 2 tries in the first half were his fault due to being out of position (once horribly out of position), and he missed a couple of tackles that led to one of Broughton's second half tries. He might have just had a bit of a bad game, not trained with us much and such, but I see a lot of Rob Foxen in him defensively. Barlow looks like Cunniffes direct replacement in terms of sheer tenacity and work rate. With him, Clarke, Hawkyard and Watkins to go at in the second row, we wont go far wrong in that position.

What disappointed me most about the game was how shallow and unorganized our attack was and how slow we moved the ball. Possibly the worst under Mack. We defo missed Smith!
Im only smiling because `no-one`'s found the bodies yet.

#9 marshy1

marshy1
  • Coach
  • 1,669 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:20 PM

Clearly a few of you didn't attend Watto's testimonial match as you would have seen Kev Penny come off with a badly damaged shoulder....Daz Hawkyard is still recovering from hamstring problems. Not sure about Smithy.

#10 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

I wasn't impressed. 6 lads signed in the last week, and it showed.
Brad Dwyer is pure quality, but we missed Smithy massively. No Daz Hawkyard or Kev Penny.

I thought you'd have commented negatively on Barlow, Phil? Offside...penalty...Salford try.

Some of the defence was laughable. Two Broughton tries were the easiest he'll score all season. And the inside pass late in the 2nd half which confused our forward line was an embarrassment.

On the positive, Dwyer was good, I'Anson and Ainscough looked good. Let's see how we go against Leigh. I'm looking forward to the season, and I expect more than 4 wins once our squad gets a few games together.

I noted that Barlow saw "red mist" at one point, plus gave away that silly penalty - I knew at that moment he's the logical replacement for Dale Cunniffe :lol:

Another thought on Barlow today was that he didn't look like a centre at all, he's an out-and-out second rower.

You're right about that inside ball being an embarrasment - so wide open that 2 double decker buses would've fitted through. Goes to show how important cohesion of the line is, something that needs time with players working together. It will be interesting to see how much the teamwork improves, as the dual registration side of things will need careful management. Warrington might be happy enough with their fringe youngsters getting game time, but Steve McCormack needs to knit an effective team if he is going to use them positively from the point of view of Swinton's results.

Only 7 out of the 18 on duty today were with the club last season!! Its really hard to make progress with that sort of turnover rate.

#11 PhillH

PhillH
  • Coach
  • 2,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

Clearly a few of you didn't attend Watto's testimonial match as you would have seen Kev Penny come off with a badly damaged shoulder....Daz Hawkyard is still recovering from hamstring problems. Not sure about Smithy.

And clearly the club has not made any statements on the state of fitness / availability of these players, which would be welcomed.

#12 greengrass

greengrass
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 09:36 PM

I am a very disappointed lions fan tonight, I agree with everything everyone as said. The thing that as ###### me off the most is there looked like no effect from most of the team, I was up at 8 o clock this morning ready because we are playing the #### down the road our rivals, most of our players showed no desire.

This ls the one of the reaon's why I said get you need your team ready before pre season, also we look like a team which does not know each other which is very worrying considering we are only 3 weeks away from the start of the season.

Dwyer look really good today and will do really well this season, I thought our winger (number 5) ran in really strong and took 3 -4 players to stop him everytime. I was also really impressed with Birkett at number 3 made some good runs and solid in defence.

From what I have seen I anson is going to be our main man going forward, even Salford could not cope with him when he attacked the line. I can not explain how annoyed and frustrated from how we played, was expecting better things.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users