Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Tom Carr

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Knight

Andy Knight
  • Coach
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:02 PM

Enjoyed todays game, good effort from both sides, so a big well done to everyone that played.
Some encouraging signs, Browns kicking game was superb, found the gaps all the time, got us around the pitch very well. Nice to see Elvis looking sharp too, and the hard working Golden and Scott both putting in massive stints in defence.
Star of the show......easy, Tom Carr, thought he was superb all game, It might sound daft but sometimes a player looks a real rugby league player and he does, reminds me a bit of Matty Blaymire safe under the big ball apart from that one kick at the end for the try, good defence, fine step and a turn of pace to get him through the gap, on this showing I really do believe the kids going to score a fair few tries and he looks a very good talent !
On the whole a very good runout for Gary's lads, fitness levels looked good and our goal line defence much improved on last season.
An enjoyable day, things look promising.
"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"
Millican Dalton...1867-1947

#2 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Andy, any idea who got the Knights third try on Half Time & the Select goal kicker? For some reason its not in my notes!
Posted Image

#3 barlby knight

barlby knight
  • Coach
  • 1,002 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

First heard Tom was signing for us as early as August , a good mate at work is close to his family & coached him at Ponte SSC ( Chequerfield ) he said then we were getting a cracking player , also know a couple of other lads that have played at Ponte with him & all said same , thought he put in an assured performance & deserved the MOM , was impressed with Browny as well , was constantly cajoling & directing the lads , something that was missing a lot last year as Spuggy was trying to do everything , a real on field general with a damn good kicking game to boot , Sam Scott popped a couple of cracking passes out of tackles & made good yards , Golden = Quality , thought Joe Hemmings went well also
LOVE THE KNIGHTS , LIVE THE KNIGHTS

#4 Spanish Knight

Spanish Knight
  • Coach
  • 9,860 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Enjoyed todays game, good effort from both sides, so a big well done to everyone that played.
Some encouraging signs, Browns kicking game was superb, found the gaps all the time, got us around the pitch very well. Nice to see Elvis looking sharp too, and the hard working Golden and Scott both putting in massive stints in defence.
Star of the show......easy, Tom Carr, thought he was superb all game, It might sound daft but sometimes a player looks a real rugby league player and he does, reminds me a bit of Matty Blaymire safe under the big ball apart from that one kick at the end for the try, good defence, fine step and a turn of pace to get him through the gap, on this showing I really do believe the kids going to score a fair few tries and he looks a very good talent !
On the whole a very good runout for Gary's lads, fitness levels looked good and our goal line defence much improved on last season.
An enjoyable day, things look promising.

Second everything you said Andy.

#5 ANDYPK

ANDYPK
  • Coach
  • 2,035 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Andy

Got to to agree, what a difference some proven quality makes to a side, well done to all at YCK fo rgetting these players in. At last we appear to have a pair of true half backs that complement each other, Brown is a class act and can kick us all over the park, will be interesting see how he turns teams round and his little reverse kicks will no doubt pay off once the lads get use to running onto his plays. Though the kick chase was excellent today and fitness levels looked good. Forwards got stuck in and ran the angles nicely.

Tom Carr and his resemblance to Matty was also discussed amongst us, calm, great positional play and clearly likes to run and step and join the line whenever possible, him and Haynesy scrapping for full back will be good. Promising signs

Overall a good start and big applause should go to all the Select players, clearly a level behind on fitness but effort, desire to compete and some smart play were very evident, the reverse pass off their guy who broke through on 70 mins deserved a try, well done and all in aid of a good cause.

Posted Image

#6 Andy Knight

Andy Knight
  • Coach
  • 2,741 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:17 PM

Gav, not sure but thought it was Sam Scott? Could be wrong!
"Don't Waste Words, Jump to Conclusions"
Millican Dalton...1867-1947

#7 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,867 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

Tom is a good player I've watched him through the ranks at our place and he as improved year on year it's just with the squad we have I couldn't see a place for him in the first team never mind DP. But what I will say is he will probably be the best addition to your squad this season. Good luck to him for the season and you guys too.

#8 andyacko

andyacko
  • Coach
  • 4,136 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:37 PM

I had it as Carr, Ford, Golden, Craig and Golden. 3 cons from Brown.
Hyde for Select converted by Ant Chilton.

Edited by andyacko, 06 January 2013 - 08:37 PM.

#9 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,306 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:58 PM

I had it as Carr, Ford, Golden, Craig and Golden. 3 cons from Brown.
Hyde for Select converted by Ant Chilton.

Cheers pal!
Posted Image

#10 shades2

shades2
  • Coach
  • 3,330 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:13 AM

Agree with all of that, real good workout, some of the passing in need of
sharpening up, but sure that will come.
Very impressed with Sam Scott, runs good lines, tackles & can pass.
Need some more size in the pack, but that will come from Sully, Bell & Nicholson.

#11 PeteM

PeteM
  • Coach
  • 266 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:58 AM

Press match report from the other day. NB Select try was by Mike Welsh (confirmed by Nic Caldwell). Not in the report but Chillo's kicking game was good for Select when he came on.
http://www.yorkpress..._Select_XIII_6/