League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Don Valley Stadium closure (merged threads)

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#1 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:37 AM

Just been on Look North that Sheffield council are considering closing and demolishing the stadium due to falling use. Potential issues ahead for the Eagles?

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#2 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:01 AM

waits for some clown to say..."the RFL should buy it"

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#3 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,918 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:03 AM

Hell no. Worse place ever to watch rugby.
Nobody uses the place. A top facility but has been underused since ot was built for the 91 student games
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#4 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:25 AM

let the ECB buy it and turn it into a cricket pitch

OLDHAM RLFC

#5 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,731 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:51 AM

let the ECB buy it and turn it into a cricket pitch

Then move Yorkshire CCC there and revamp Headingley into a huge stadium on the remaining land. Genius idea!
Posted Image

#6 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,296 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:08 AM

Then move Yorkshire CCC there and revamp Headingley into a huge stadium on the remaining land. Genius idea!

I'd go with that!

#7 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,529 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:16 AM

Thats a great idea refn ECB,with the stadium lending itself to Cricket. Awful place to watch RL, hope Sheff move to Rotherham's new ground.

#8 Robin Evans

Robin Evans

Robin Evans

• Coach
  • 9,918 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:20 AM

Thats a great idea refn ECB,with the stadium lending itself to Cricket. Awful place to watch RL, hope Sheff move to Rotherham's new ground.

The New Yrok Stadium!!!Coming from 'Rovrum' you've no idea how comical I find that!! :lol:Nice little stadium tho... would suit RL much better than the DVS
"I love our club, absolutely love it". (Overton, M 2007)

#9 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

Thing is, DVS might be a lousy place to watch a game, but it is where the Eagles play at least some of their games. What is the likelyhood of them being able to move to Rotherham, or play all games at Bramhall Lane? Didn't they end up playing at least one match at a local college last season?

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

#10 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:27 AM

havent seen this but would be interesting... it would leave a dirty great hole next to a major arena venue.. maybe the eagles could get some funding from somewhere (person/sponsor etc not the RFL before anyone says anything) with some cash from the council and build a puprose built RL stadium that is fit for purpose.. doubt it would happen but would be less of a white elephant than the DVS.. would be a shame to lose a good athletics venue though and a great legacy from Jessica Ennis' gold medal at th'olympics!!

would hate to see the ealges leave sheffield on a permenant basis but would be interesting and dont see an issue personally with playing some games at Rotherham, some at Chesterfield but the majority at Bramall Lane, rather than the Majority at Bramall Lane and the rest at the DVS as now.

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:39 AM

havent seen this but would be interesting... it would leave a dirty great hole next to a major arena venue.. maybe the eagles could get some funding from somewhere (person/sponsor etc not the RFL before anyone says anything) with some cash from the council and build a puprose built RL stadium that is fit for purpose...

thats not a bad idea actually.......rip out the running track and move the pitch closure to the massive grandstand...

OLDHAM RLFC

#12 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:41 AM

thats not a bad idea actually.......rip out the running track and move the pitch closure to the massive grandstand...

It wouldnt cost a huge sum to do and if they ever need the extra seating then stands can be built on the other side over time. There are a lot worse stadiums around in terms of facilities etc...

on a perfect world scenario surely there would also be a way of doing this but also being able to "drop in" the rest of the athletics track if and when you may need it without it costing a fotune, would surely be cheaper than demolishing it/Eagles building their own ground etc. the technologyh cant be that hard..

#13 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,606 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

its defo something sheffield eagles should propose to sheffield council......

OLDHAM RLFC

#14 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:02 AM

Thing is, DVS might be a lousy place to watch a game, but it is where the Eagles play at least some of their games. What is the likelyhood of them being able to move to Rotherham, or play all games at Bramhall Lane? Didn't they end up playing at least one match at a local college last season?

No.

And it's Bramall. Bramhall is down south in Cheshire.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#15 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,178 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:18 AM

No.

And it's Bramall. Bramhall is down south in Cheshire.

You'll have to excuse my faux pas re the Bramhall/Bramall spelling; at 6.30am I'd only just got out of bed and wasn't wholly with it. Likewise with my memory; it was 2011 not 2012 that they played Dewsbury at Mount St Mary's College, which was the game I had in mind. ;)

So where do you see the future for the Eagles, ground wise?

Edited by gazza77, 07 January 2013 - 10:18 AM.

Please view my photos.

#16 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 9,761 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:23 AM

Athletics and ball games don't mix. The pitch is always too small and the distance from the fans reduces the crowd atmosphere. At Sheffield, it's made worse because both the running track and the long jump and triple jump runways separate the fans from the pitch.

The cricket ground is a great idea but the infrastructure costs woud be immense ... Yorkshire CCC has only just built a new pavilion and media centre at Headingley at a cost of umpteen millions and an assault on architectural aesthetics.

How about a 3g pitch, ownership by Sheff Wed and a 50-year user-right by the Eagles?

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#17 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:24 AM

So where do you see the future for the Eagles, ground wise?

All news to me, Gaz. I'm not surprised it's under-utilised though. It's very poorly run as a sports facility. The biggest seller as a facility is probably the indoor track which is just used like some big hall. Computer fairs, model car racing, university exams - nothing to do with sports.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#18 Leyther_Matt

Leyther_Matt
  • Coach
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

If the council want rid of it then it's not a chance that the Eagles will be able to afford to buy it. Not exactly a prime development spot, I know, but the size is huge and the council will want millions for it.

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,181 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

With Rotherham no longer there, and Eagles only using it occasionally, it's a large facility to keep going.

Athletics would only really start to pay the bills if they got to host a regular Grand Prix event, and the UK has its fair share of those already, at other venues.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:44 AM

the annoying thing is it did used to have grand prixs there etc but as with most things i think they sat back thinking all was fine and other stadiums etc caught them up and overtook them taking with them the grand prixs...

I would love to think a movement on the pitch was possible but god knows with Sheffield City Council to be honest.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users