RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Don Valley Stadium to close?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:36 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...kshire-20926575
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#2 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 667 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

From a Rugby League perspective, I wouldn't mourn its sudden absence from my list of away trips - although maybe that's because we never seem to play well there?

I do hope the Eagles find a permanent home. Surely their achievements in recent years and potential to bring top level sport to the city merit a little investment from the council?

#3 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,549 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:27 PM

From a Rugby League perspective, I wouldn't mourn its sudden absence from my list of away trips - although maybe that's because we never seem to play well there?

I do hope the Eagles find a permanent home. Surely their achievements in recent years and potential to bring top level sport to the city merit a little investment from the council?

If only the council had anything to invest eh Tom? To find £50M out of this year's budget with yet more to come doesn't bode well for investment in RL.

The Eagle's difficulties also lie in their awkward relationship with Sheffield Utd with any long-term tenure at Bramall lane looking unlikely. This is worrying for the game as a whole.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#4 STEVE P

STEVE P
  • Coach
  • 706 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:36 PM

As you say the Don Valley Stadium isn't the best place in the world to watch a game of Rugby. I always feel too remote from the field there, but if the ground that Dewsbury had to play Sheffield at a couple of years ago is anything to go by there isn't a huge choice of alternative venues in the City.

Sheffield were never amongst my favourite opponents to watch Dewsbury play, but you can't help but admire how far they have come since they re emerged from that strange amalgamation with Huddersfield, and it would be a shame if their progress was knocked back by the lack of a regular home venue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users