Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Warrington favourites for 2013 Super League title

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,264 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

2012 Super League Grand Final runners-up Warrington Wolves have been named as favourites to capture the 2013 Super League title.

The Wolves are priced at 5/2 by bookmakers William Hill to win the 2013 Grand Final at Old Trafford on Saturday October 5, with Wigan Warriors and St Helens both quoted at 3/1 and defending champions Leeds Rhinos priced at 5/1 to retain their crown.

Reigning Man of Steel Sam Tomkins has been priced as 5/1 favourite to be named as the player most likely to have the biggest impact on the competition in 2013, with St Helens hooker James Roby (6/1) and Leeds Rhinos captain Kevin Sinfield (7/1) seen as the most likely men to challenge for this year’s Man of Steel award.

Leeds Rhinos winger Ryan Hall has been priced as 5/1 favourite alongside fellow England international and Wigan Warriors winger Josh Charnley as favourite to top the Super League try-scoring charts in 2013.

Warrington are 5/2 favourites to win a second successive Challenge Cup, with St Helens and Wigan quoted at 7/2. The Wolves are 9/1 to complete a league and Cup double.

A full list of betting markets can be seen at http://sports.willia...gby-League.html

The 2013 Super League season kicks-off on Friday February 1 when champions Leeds Rhinos begin their defence of the title at home to Hull FC while Salford City Reds begin their campaign at home to Wigan Warriors.

The opening weekend continues on Saturday February 2 when St Helens entertain Huddersfield Giants at Langtree Park whilst on Sunday February 3, Bradford Bulls take on Wakefield Trinity Wildcats at the newly-named Provident Stadium, Catalan Dragons travel to Hull Kingston Rovers, London Broncos face Widnes Vikings and Challenge Cup holders Warrington Wolves take on Castleford Tigers.
-ends-

Nathan Clarke
Media Executive

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

Wigan for me with Monaghan top try scorer

#3 brooza

brooza
  • 4,254 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

5/1 on Rhinos is tempting, and makes me think William Hill don't pay attention to what happens at the end of the season

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#4 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 19,786 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

Wigan for me with Monaghan top try scorer

Not sure I agree re: Wigan. Finch and Leuleuai were very significant players to lose, so we may take time to adjust. Warrington do look strong.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:39 PM

I do think Leeds will do better in the regular season this year – they have made a couple of signings, whereas Warrington haven’t made any and are relying on the youth players stepping in and cancelling out any drop in the older players performances.

Wigan are a slight unknown with the new halfback situation – they could struggle, or they could fly from the start.

As a Wire fan I am hopeful that we can do well again, hopefully one better than last year! Hopefully Mick Monaghan can get back to some of his best form, and a few players know this could be their last chance for the SL Winners ring to go with their Challenge Cup medals.

#6 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,345 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Are Sinfield, Burrow and McGuire all playing again this season?.....if so 5/1 is indeed tempting!.....looking forward to the 1st Feb - the return of the prodigal son Ellis against his former team (if he's playing of course)

#7 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:52 PM

5/1 on Rhinos is tempting, and makes me think William Hill don't pay attention to what happens at the end of the season

5/1 - a 16.6% chance of winning - feels about right. Warrington are gradually getting closer to the main prize and deserve to be favs.

Of course their compilers are paying attention; if they didn't they'd be sacked soon enough!

#8 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

zak hardaker @ 22/1 for top tryscorer is worth a fiver imo

hull fc @ 10/1 for the challange cup

warrington @ 2/1 for regular season & 5/2 grand final

how do i place that bet as 1bet??

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#9 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,661 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:43 PM

If Hall plays outside Moon he will bag tries for fun.

Saints are on the edge, Brown could take them either way and don't expect him to see out his contract.

Wigan or Wire to finish top for the Leaders shield but the GF winners as Leeds have proved is always more difficult to call.

Wooden spooners is also an interesting call, favourites have to be Salford if they play the full season, but the trouble could just spur them on to better things.

#10 Kenny Bania

Kenny Bania
  • Coach
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:45 PM

zak hardaker @ 22/1 for top tryscorer is worth a fiver imo

hull fc @ 10/1 for the challange cup

warrington @ 2/1 for regular season & 5/2 grand final

how do i place that bet as 1bet??

You couldn't combine Warrington for the regular season and the Grand Final as the two are what is called a 'related contingency'.

Similarly, backing a player to be top tryscorer and a team to win the league is not permitted (wrongly, in my view, as Zak Hardaker being top scorer doesn't much impact the odds of Wire winning the GF, but those are the rules).

#11 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I do think Leeds will do better in the regular season this year – they have made a couple of signings, whereas Warrington haven’t made any and are relying on the youth players stepping in and cancelling out any drop in the older players performances.

Wigan are a slight unknown with the new halfback situation – they could struggle, or they could fly from the start.

As a Wire fan I am hopeful that we can do well again, hopefully one better than last year! Hopefully Mick Monaghan can get back to some of his best form, and a few players know this could be their last chance for the SL Winners ring to go with their Challenge Cup medals.

Are Sinfield, Burrow and McGuire all playing again this season?.....if so 5/1 is indeed tempting!.....looking forward to the 1st Feb - the return of the prodigal son Ellis against his former team (if he's playing of course)

Leeds seem to put a lot of importance on the WCC and why not,but I think tryingto peak for this one early in te season does have an effect on the form in the first half of the season
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#12 41hound

41hound
  • Coach
  • 171 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:49 PM

I am thinking Wigan just from Wire.

Hall for try scorer

#13 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:52 PM

If Hall plays outside Moon he will bag tries for fun.

Saints are on the edge, Brown could take them either way and don't expect him to see out his contract.

Wigan or Wire to finish top for the Leaders shield but the GF winners as Leeds have proved is always more difficult to call.

Wooden spooners is also an interesting call, favourites have to be Salford if they play the full season, but the trouble could just spur them on to better things.

Good calls all for me. What is probably harder to call is the race for the 7th/8th spot which is wildly interchangeable every season.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 07 January 2013 - 03:52 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#14 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,144 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

error

Edited by Dave T, 07 January 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#15 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

TBH I'm not confident about the coming season. I'd agree with the bookies on this. I think Warrington most likely to win the league, as for the rest I can't even guess at this stage.

#16 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 3,854 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

Ben Westwood man of steel at 16/1 on sky bet maybe worth a fiver. Tom Briscoe also 22/1 for top try scorer not bad odds considering Hull are expected to do well next season. Or maybe Watkins or Hardaker who are 22/1 and 25/1 respectively.

I wouldn't bet for Tomkins and Charnley for top try scorer. I don't think Wigan will be able to get the ball half as much this year like they did with Finch and Leuleuai.

#17 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,289 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

5/1 for Leeds to win the GF

Should that be written 5th to 1st!

#18 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,613 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Typical Wire arrogance again, can't wait to see them brought down to earth with a bump.

I think Leeds are the team who have improved slightly; Wigan will have to come up with something new to stay right up there. They do have the squad numbers to do so.

I think Saints will be at a similar level to last year, better if Nathan Brown doesn't get a Premier Sports subscription and start craving for home.

Hull will be better; I'd say they needed to sign Prince (or someone similar) to make the full step up to Grand Final possibles. Catalans may drop a few places.

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#19 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

You couldn't combine Warrington for the regular season and the Grand Final as the two are what is called a 'related contingency'.

Similarly, backing a player to be top tryscorer and a team to win the league is not permitted (wrongly, in my view, as Zak Hardaker being top scorer doesn't much impact the odds of Wire winning the GF, but those are the rules).

######........ta

OLDHAM RLFC

#20 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 3,532 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:16 PM

Typical Wire arrogance again, can't wait to see them brought down to earth with a bump.

do you think warrington set the odd?? :lol:

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users