Club news release

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Wigan Warriors are proud to announce that their innovative online TV channel will again break new ground as it streams the Warriors’ pre-season games at Hull KR and Salford City Reds live on Wigan TV. This follows the successful first ever live video webchat that was held before Christmas, and will again offer subscribers an unrivalled service that utilises the latest technology.

Wigan will play Hull KR at MS3 Craven Park on Sunday 13th January at 2pm, followed by Salford on Thursday 17th January at 8pm and both games will be streamed live at http://wiganwarriors.com/tv

To enable the streaming to take place the Club have partnered with a leading outside broadcast company and have acquired capacity on a satellite to allow real-time viewing of the game on any internet-enabled computer, tablet or mobile device (minimum specification required).

Wigan TV CEO Sam Lloyd commented, “We believe this is another world first for a Rugby Club and it again demonstrates the high quality, cutting edge content that we aim to provide for our subscribers and supporters. At first the broadcast will be from a single fixed-position camera but will include live commentary so that fans who are unable to make the trips are still able to watch the pre-season games live.

"This is another hugely exciting development for Wigan TV and Warriors fans everywhere and whilst we do not have the rights to video broadcast or stream any Super League or Challenge Cup games live we will be aiming to provide a live audio commentary service throughout the season. We also have a comprehensive highlights package which see’s up to 2 minutes worth of highlights released 2 hours after the full time hooter of every game, up to 15 minutes of highlights released 24 hours later and up to 40 minutes of footage will be available to watch from Tuesday after each game.”

Additionally the Club will be announcing more details about new Wigan TV programming as the season approaches.

Fans can sign up today for Wigan TV by visiting http://wiganwarriors.com/tv

Wigan Warriors media release

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

online TV channel

Someone needs to tell them what a TV channel is!

My annoyances at their calling it a TV channel notwithstanding, it's good that they're making this available online
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#3 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:41 PM

brooza, the Lords seem to think that the future of television is internet TV see here (mostly so that the airwaves can be freed up and sold off to the mobile networks)

If they can call it TV, so can Wigan I guess

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

My annoyances at their calling it a TV channel notwithstanding, it's good that they're making this available online

Just about any TV you can buy today is internet ready. Nothing wrong with calling it an online TV channel.

The times are a'changing!
Posted Image

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Well, it's too complicated for me but seems a good idea. Is it free or subscription or don't we know yet ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#6 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:14 PM

its subscription, I'm a subscriber and there's currently a deal on for thirty odd pound for the year (usually its just under £50).

The plan that I like, being stranded in Yorkshire and working all over the place (I'm in Gothenburg at the moment) is that throughout the season they say (we'll see but I'm hopeful) that 2hrs after the match a couple of mins highlights will be on, 24hrs after 15 min highlights will be on, the monday after 40 mins of highlights will be up and the full match should be up within 14 days.

We'll see how it goes through the year.

#7 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:53 PM

Shame yesterdays game wasnt streamed!

#8 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

Shame yesterdays game wasnt streamed!

It thought it was supposed to be streamed. Regardless its up in full now.

#9 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,832 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:14 PM

Yesterdays game was streamed live.

#10 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:26 PM

I can confirm it was streamed yesterday, but as a Leyther I wasn't going to pay - fair enough if you support them I suppose

I'd rather listen free to the Leigh Life online radio coverage and watch the free highlights on youtube

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#11 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:09 PM

I can confirm it was streamed yesterday, but as a Leyther I wasn't going to pay - fair enough if you support them I suppose

I'd rather listen free to the Leigh Life online radio coverage and watch the free highlights on youtube

Was it pay-per-match? Would have considered paying for that if I'd known. Is it HD quality?

#12 Native New Yorker

Native New Yorker
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:23 PM

Was it pay-per-match? Would have considered paying for that if I'd known. Is it HD quality?

From the Wigan website

• Minimum System Requirements
  • A broadband Internet connection (DSL/cable or higher) of 800 kbps or higher is needed for Wigan TV. If you have an Internet connection speed of 3 Mbps or higher and your computer meets the requirements below, you will be able to enjoy Wigan TV at its highest video quality.

SQL Minor Stupidship winner 2011, 2012
Stupid Grand Champion 2012
Challenged Cup Winner 2013

#13 amh

amh
  • 11,087 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:39 PM

You can sign up for a fiver for a months worth (if you cancel same day)

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#14 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:50 PM

You can sign up for a fiver for a months worth (if you cancel same day)

Is it possible to watch the match retrospectively for nowt?

#15 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

Is it possible to watch the match retrospectively for nowt?

Yes its on there now... if I finish tonight before midnight I'm going to watch it from my hotel room.

#16 Tonka

Tonka
  • Coach
  • 718 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:46 AM

I am going to gift myself a subscription. Happy birthday to me* xx

*My birthday isn't until December, but I'll miss the whole season if I wait.

#17 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:13 PM

TELEVISION:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Television

From the Greek meaning "Far Sight", and in this case it's correct, very far sighted too.
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#18 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:18 PM

TELEVISION:

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Television

From the Greek meaning "Far Sight", and in this case it's correct, very far sighted too.

It's actually a dual-language word that has offended certain pedants over the years, as 'Tele' is from Greek and 'Vision' is from Latin.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users