Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

The last time?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 02:58 PM

With the news today that Sheffield City Council are considering demolishing the Don Valley stadium, our visit on 8th February may well be an historic one.

#2 Piggy's mate

Piggy's mate
  • Coach
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Good, I hate that place and Sheffield deserve somewhere better I just hope they can find it

2010 Northern Rail Cup Winners & 2013 Championship Finalists

BATLEY BULLDOGS RLFC :bb: 

#3 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 05:14 PM

Good, I hate that place and Sheffield deserve somewhere better I just hope they can find it

Incorrect, IMO. No club 'deserves' a ground, and they were very fortunate to be granted tenancy to play at Don Valley - however incompatible it is with Rugby League. They've had nearly 30 years to try and build their own ground - to their own specifications, and have thus far failed to do so. You only 'deserve' something if you've made the effort. Similarly, the likes of Wakefield and Castleford will be 'fortunate' if they are given new stadiums by their local authorities. Note ; 'fortunate', not 'deserving'. I don't think we've ever been given a penny towards ground improvements. Were Kirklees to turn round and say ; "Here you go Kev, have £200'000' to complete your long stand", then we'd be 'fortunate' too.

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,006 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:08 PM

Incorrect, IMO. No club 'deserves' a ground, and they were very fortunate to be granted tenancy to play at Don Valley - however incompatible it is with Rugby League. They've had nearly 30 years to try and build their own ground - to their own specifications, and have thus far failed to do so. You only 'deserve' something if you've made the effort. Similarly, the likes of Wakefield and Castleford will be 'fortunate' if they are given new stadiums by their local authorities. Note ; 'fortunate', not 'deserving'. I don't think we've ever been given a penny towards ground improvements. Were Kirklees to turn round and say ; "Here you go Kev, have £200'000' to complete your long stand", then we'd be 'fortunate' too.

Somewhat unfair PTW don't you think? If any of the current CC clubs had to start up afresh including obtaining and developing a new ground then I reckon we'd all find ourselves in the same position as Sheffield.

No council in the north of England has any spare cash nowadays so anyone looking in that direction for help would need to search elsewhere.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 distantdog

distantdog
  • Coach
  • 2,417 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

I do not think that is entirely correct. I do believe that our major ground improvements were made with the help of grants. I think at one point grants were rather plentiful and we were good at obtaining them. I stand to be corrected though.

#6 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

I do not think that is entirely correct. I do believe that our major ground improvements were made with the help of grants. I think at one point grants were rather plentiful and we were good at obtaining them. I stand to be corrected though.

That's not entirely correct either, DD. The grants we made the effort to apply for were strictly from central government projects, and nothing to do with Kirklees council who, I believe, have never offered any help whatsoever to Batley OR Dewsbury towards improving facilities. Without wishing to prolong this debate, I just dislike the notion that clubs are 'deserving' of the grounds that they are built by their local authorities. It's actually a huge privilege for the clubs involved, which is why Wakfield's refusal to share a stadium with nearby Castleford - funded and built entirely for free by Wakefield City Council, gets my goat up. Talk about ungrateful, and 'wanting your cake and eating it'.

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,580 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:43 AM

Somewhat unfair PTW don't you think? If any of the current CC clubs had to start up afresh including obtaining and developing a new ground then I reckon we'd all find ourselves in the same position as Sheffield.

No council in the north of England has any spare cash nowadays so anyone looking in that direction for help would need to search elsewhere.

Bit of a bugbear with you BSJ, I know, but there are half decent RU grounds at sheffield (tigers) and Rotheram - in the current climate, it might be worth them asking about a ground share with one of those clubs - it seems to work OK at leeds and quins - needs must and all that, and even on a short term, might be worth considering.

#8 fredm

fredm
  • Coach
  • 1,475 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

I can see them going to Rotherham FC's new ground. SY Eagles anyone?

#9 greydog

greydog
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

I can see them going to Rotherham FC's new ground. SY Eagles anyone?

So can I .

#10 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,006 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

Bit of a bugbear with you BSJ, I know, but there are half decent RU grounds at sheffield (tigers) and Rotheram - in the current climate, it might be worth them asking about a ground share with one of those clubs - it seems to work OK at leeds and quins - needs must and all that, and even on a short term, might be worth considering.

No GOR, if we can exploit RU clubs then I'm all for it. I also believe that most sports grounds are underused, which is a fundamental problem at Don Valley (amongst others).
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#11 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

That's not entirely correct either, DD. The grants we made the effort to apply for were strictly from central government projects, and nothing to do with Kirklees council who, I believe, have never offered any help whatsoever to Batley OR Dewsbury towards improving facilities. Without wishing to prolong this debate, I just dislike the notion that clubs are 'deserving' of the grounds that they are built by their local authorities. It's actually a huge privilege for the clubs involved, which is why Wakfield's refusal to share a stadium with nearby Castleford - funded and built entirely for free by Wakefield City Council, gets my goat up. Talk about ungrateful, and 'wanting your cake and eating it'.

Isn't Wakefields ground being built and paid for by the developers of the site in return for Wakefield giving them permission for the accompanying industrial warehouse units to be built.?"

#12 Philius T Wilderbeest

Philius T Wilderbeest
  • Players
  • 50 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:59 PM

Isn't Wakefields ground being built and paid for by the developers of the site in return for Wakefield giving them permission for the accompanying industrial warehouse units to be built.?"

Don't think so. As far as I'm aware its a Wakefield City Council venture - hence their ongoing unwillingness to share any new ground with Castleford.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users