• 122 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:42 PM

Rams 6-48 Bulls

#22 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:53 PM

Did Bradford have a full-strength team. I couldn't make it to the game today.

#23 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

Did Bradford have a full-strength team. I couldn't make it to the game today.

We were hammered, but by what looked to me like a pretty strong Bulls line up. Thought the lads stuck to the task and the only disappointing aspect was the number of mistakes we made. It was pretty much like the Doggies match in that we gave up the ball far too often. Not sure what the completion rate was, but it was no where near as high as last week. Reckon they will have learnt quite a bit. Morton played very well and the pack worked really hard again. Just a shame we've to wait three weeks now.....

#24 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 07:39 PM

i wouldnt say hammered

4 mistakes in our 20 resulted in tries
bradford were faster and more slick
and never going to lose

lads did fine....BUT

have to stop making mistakes in our 20..cost us dear today
think in the championship the ratio for making mistakes resulting in tries will be smaller
but it still is a issue that needs sorting out.

still not sold on coleman yet..either needs more game time to settle in,or find where best he plays

but overall im a happy bunny and hold much hope for the season on performances over the last 2 weeks.

#25 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:09 PM

Is Glenn still after a few dual reg signing from Bradford?

#26 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 08:00 AM

Sorry to say this but for entertainment, yesterday was rubbish. If the Rams wish to attract floating supporters they need to do much much better. If that's the level they are at, then it's going to be a long hard season for the season ticket holder and one of no rugby at Tetley's stadium for me. Apart from the 2 props the rest was abject. I don't think I've seen as many missed tackles and dropped balls. They made the Bulls look far better than what they were because I think they'll get hammered in SL.

I can understand that friendlies are to blood the players etc but aren't they also about marketing the club and team? 2/10 for me.

#27 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 09:18 AM

Sorry to say this but for entertainment, yesterday was rubbish. If the Rams wish to attract floating supporters they need to do much much better. If that's the level they are at, then it's going to be a long hard season for the season ticket holder and one of no rugby at Tetley's stadium for me. Apart from the 2 props the rest was abject. I don't think I've seen as many missed tackles and dropped balls. They made the Bulls look far better than what they were because I think they'll get hammered in SL.

I can understand that friendlies are to blood the players etc but aren't they also about marketing the club and team? 2/10 for me.

Cheerleaders were good.

Didn't look to be a huge number of rams fans there either. :(

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Friendlies against SL clubs are only fundraising at best I'm afraid and shouldn't be used to measure the probability of success of failure in the Championship - the difference between the two is really that great I'm sad to say. Full-time training, full-time coaching and, lets' be honest, greater quality, are always going to outweigh endeavour. With that as a background I thought we did OK yesterday - their heads didn't go down and there was bags of effort right to the end. Unfortunately this prospect was more attractive to Bradford fans than to our own.

It was difficult to pick out individuals for praise or otherwise but there are still areas of our game to work upon, which means that we should improve, of course. I'm much more optimistic about our fortunes in the season ahead. Doncaster will show just were we have got to as a team.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 Bat Lad

Bat Lad
  • Coach
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 06:00 AM

Think your being a bit harsh there on the rams, looking at Gaz's photos it seems to me that was the first team squad of the bull's.
The gulf between divisions is huge.

#30 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,745 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:34 AM

Friendlies against SL clubs are only fundraising at best I'm afraid and shouldn't be used to measure the probability of success of failure in the Championship - the difference between the two is really that great I'm sad to say. Full-time training, full-time coaching and, lets' be honest, greater quality, are always going to outweigh endeavour. With that as a background I thought we did OK yesterday - their heads didn't go down and there was bags of effort right to the end. Unfortunately this prospect was more attractive to Bradford fans than to our own.

It was difficult to pick out individuals for praise or otherwise but there are still areas of our game to work upon, which means that we should improve, of course. I'm much more optimistic about our fortunes in the season ahead. Doncaster will show just were we have got to as a team.

Agree with most of that BSJ, but like coolie said, many of the tries were not down to the superior quality of the bulls, but down to mistakes that could just as easily have occured against a half decent championship side. We bought more dumies than a mothercare stock purchaser and fell off tackles alarmingly. Agaist halifax. our defence looked more organised than it has for years, but against the bulls we seemed to fall back into old habits. Also, I know the bulls were yards faster than us, but that aside, I thought we looked a bit pedestrian on both attack and defence. Not all doom and gloom though - I think lillicrop and esposito will be real finds, and hopefully we will be ready for fev.

#31 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 09:44 AM

Think your being a bit harsh there on the rams, looking at Gaz's photos it seems to me that was the first team squad of the bull's.
The gulf between divisions is huge.

If you read my post you'll see I quote 2 specific pieces of skill, namely dropping the ball and missing tackles. By performing these techniques adequately you can prevent soft tries. Bradford scored most tries from mistakes, so for me Bradford weren't tested and Dewsbury let themselves down.

On that basis unless the Rams sort out these specific weaknesses they will have a hard season. As for Bradford I can only see a hard season for them too. They are a shadow of previous Bulls' squads, put together on a shoestring budget.

#32 alienboy

alienboy
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

I can see Ackroman's points, however the fact that the Bulls were a lot bigger and stronger than us could have been a factor in dropping the ball more. They are faster off the mark when defending so they are into the tackle quicker than a Championship team would be. They once did a high kick from around their own 40 - by the time Craven caught it just in front of the line the Bulls players were with him and pushed him over for one of several drop outs under the post. Haven't seen the stats but my guess would be that the possession in the game was 60-40 in favour of the Bulls with I would think 65-70% of the play in our half. Stats that would not allow you to win any game.

#33 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

I can see Ackroman's points, however the fact that the Bulls were a lot bigger and stronger than us could have been a factor in dropping the ball more. They are faster off the mark when defending so they are into the tackle quicker than a Championship team would be. They once did a high kick from around their own 40 - by the time Craven caught it just in front of the line the Bulls players were with him and pushed him over for one of several drop outs under the post. Haven't seen the stats but my guess would be that the possession in the game was 60-40 in favour of the Bulls with I would think 65-70% of the play in our half. Stats that would not allow you to win any game.

I agree with that. The Bulls speed defending the 10 was very good in comparison to the Rams. Some may say they took advantage of a weak ref but that speed was definitely superior.

#34 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Agree with most of that BSJ, but like coolie said, many of the tries were not down to the superior quality of the bulls, but down to mistakes that could just as easily have occured against a half decent championship side. We bought more dumies than a mothercare stock purchaser and fell off tackles alarmingly. Agaist halifax. our defence looked more organised than it has for years, but against the bulls we seemed to fall back into old habits. Also, I know the bulls were yards faster than us, but that aside, I thought we looked a bit pedestrian on both attack and defence. Not all doom and gloom though - I think lillicrop and esposito will be real finds, and hopefully we will be ready for fev.

Our mistakes were very costly and I acknowledged this in my post. However to say we "missed" tackles is harsh. The lads running at them and these were a class above that of halifax the week before and, as others have said, a class above what we will face in the Championship. OK the defence wasnt perfect, but from what I have seen so far I am confident that it will be good enough for most Championship teams. Its the mistakes we need to cut out.

#35 DEWSBURY TIL I DIE

DEWSBURY TIL I DIE
  • Coach
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

How many of our fans have missed the friendlies this season, so dissapointed with the rams fans turnouts in the friendlies.. I know alot that aint interested in the friendlies, with the cold weather and just been skint just after christmas ect but in 2 friendlies wev had about 500 home fans if that.. Hopefuly when the league starts all our fans will be back..

As for the game, abit dissapointed but imsure against teams in our own league wel do ok,especially if we get stuck in like we did against fax..

#36 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

How many of our fans have missed the friendlies this season, so dissapointed with the rams fans turnouts in the friendlies.. I know alot that aint interested in the friendlies, with the cold weather and just been skint just after christmas ect but in 2 friendlies wev had about 500 home fans if that.. Hopefuly when the league starts all our fans will be back..

As for the game, abit dissapointed but imsure against teams in our own league wel do ok,especially if we get stuck in like we did against fax..

Rams fans turnout has been very disappointing, but £13 on a very cold day to see a match that didnt really matter might be your answer. Whatever I agree that we have to hope it picks up. A good win at Donny and a reasonable performance against Fev is a must if we are to get the non committed to start to take notice...

#37 Eddie_Rombo

Eddie_Rombo
  • Coach
  • 1,968 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 12:33 AM

Money is tight these days!

#38 Kelsey The Ram

Kelsey The Ram
  • Coach
  • 385 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:28 PM

Money is tight these days!

Or we just fail to do what batley do correctly, charge the same price for any stand we go in.
"Are you tryin' to mug me off in front of my pals?"

#39 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

Or we just fail to do what batley do correctly, charge the same price for any stand we go in.

Cant see that charging the same for both stands would make that much difference. I dont like sitting at any matches and suspect that many feel the same. The bottomline is that £13 is too much to charge for a friendly match on a freezing cold winters day when, as others have commented, theres nothing really to play for and its the middle of January and many people are skint.

#40 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

They charge £14 for standing; we charge £13 for standing. Run that one past me again.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users