Any News?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Maybe it sneaked out over Christmas and I missed it, but is there any news on if Premier Sports are continuing their NRL coverage this year? The original deal they signed only took them to the end of last year and non of their advertising that I have seen (as of yet) contains anything NRL based. Not suggesting they are getting shut by the way - it must do well for them - but I just haven't seen anything.

I know there was a story on here about a month ago that a company had sealed some sort of international rights deal that included streaming options online but as far as I can remember that didn't include the UK.

Edited by Amber Avenger, 08 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.

SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#2 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:03 PM

Nothing mentioned anywhere yet as far as I know. Still 2 months till kick off though so not sure how soon we will hear, but I'd definitely like to know one way or the other!

#3 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:06 PM

sky have likely got it back.......or a long shot the new BT sports channel...

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#4 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,759 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:31 PM

sky have likely got it back.......or a long shot the new BT sports channel...

Is that based on inside information, or just a guess?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

well......... in the NRL press release a month or so ago it stated that games would be in HD......premier sports are'nt capable of broadcasting hd...

sky obviously are...and im sure the new BT sports channel will as well

OLDHAM RLFC

#6 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

But it also said that that agreement wasn't for the UK, so I wouldn't read too much into that.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009

#7 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

we'll see

OLDHAM RLFC

#8 Wiltshire Rhino

Wiltshire Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,386 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

On the Premier Sports FB page someone asked (in an NHL tread) about the NRL rights. The question had been asked in plenty of other treads but no reply was forthcoming. However a reply was received this time saying "the rights are still being negotiated."
2014 Challenged Cup Winner

#9 Southstander13

Southstander13
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

On the Premier Sports FB page someone asked (in an NHL tread) about the NRL rights. The question had been asked in plenty of other treads but no reply was forthcoming. However a reply was received this time saying "the rights are still being negotiated."

I asked on twitter having replied to their tweet about NHL, but didnt get a response. We'll just have to wait and see I guess.

#10 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,913 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:21 PM

well......... in the NRL press release a month or so ago it stated that games would be in HD......premier sports are'nt capable of broadcasting hd...

sky obviously are...and im sure the new BT sports channel will as well

HD - The Emperor's New Clothes !

Not that much better, sucks up all the storage on your Sky+ box if you record it. definitely not worth a tenner a month.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#11 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,094 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

good job i don't have sky then lol

OLDHAM RLFC

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

HD - The Emperor's New Clothes !

Not that much better, sucks up all the storage on your Sky+ box if you record it. definitely not worth a tenner a month.

You're clearly doing it wrong... HD is brilliant!
Posted Image

#13 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

The NRL press release may have said that the games would be shot in HD, but that doesn't necessarily mean that the people who buy the rights for different territories can/will show them that way.

If it is Premier Sports who get the NRL coverage, and they can't offer HD, they can always broadcast in SD. And that'll be good enough for the majority of viewers, I'd guess, as long as the subscription price is reasonable.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#14 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:31 PM

You're clearly doing it wrong... HD is brilliant!

Doing it wrong in what way?????
Try turning the volume up and brightening your picture then u have what hd offers ya it's a load of ######

#15 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,674 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

HD can be downscaled to SD by whoever broadcasts Premier sports (if they get it).

HD is here to stay and SKY have the capacity to transmit a lot more channels in HD. SD will slowly fade out.
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#16 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,789 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:42 PM

Try turning the volume up and brightening your picture then u have what hd offers ya it's a load of ######

Another top tip for you if you believe that, get rid of your colour tv and buy a black and white set and a box of quality street. Once you have scoffed all the sweets, use the wrappers over your eyes and save hundreds of quid.
SQL Honours

#17 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 695 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

Another top tip for you if you believe that, get rid of your colour tv and buy a black and white set and a box of quality street. Once you have scoffed all the sweets, use the wrappers over your eyes and save hundreds of quid.

Tried that over Christmas it never worked looked to fuzzy lol

#18 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:45 PM

It is most certainly not a load of hashtags.

The difference in quality between HD and SD channels is out of this world, and its only going to get better.

Are you using the right HDMI cable from your Sky box to your TV? As daft as it sounds a lot of people have been watching HD channels in SD just because they are using the wrong cable (Dara O'Briain even joked about it on his latest blu-ray...!) ;)
Posted Image

#19 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,898 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

It is most certainly not a load of hashtags.

The difference in quality between HD and SD channels is out of this world, and its only going to get better.

Are you using the right HDMI cable from your Sky box to your TV? As daft as it sounds a lot of people have been watching HD channels in SD just because they are using the wrong cable (Dara O'Briain even joked about it on his latest blu-ray...!) ;)

I do happen to know someone* who, after getting Sky, bemoaned the fact that HD wasn't very impressive. Taking a look down the back of her TV set, I noticed that the only connection from the Sky box was a SCART cable. :D

*name withheld to save her embarrassment.

Edited by Futtocks, 08 January 2013 - 04:58 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#20 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 04:59 PM

I do happen to know someone* who, after getting Sky, bemoaned the fact that HD wasn't very impressive. Taking a look down the back of her TV set, I noticed that the only connection from the Sky box was a SCART cable. :D

*name withheld to save her embarrassment.

No need to save people from embarrassment.

Severus of this parish did the same.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Any News?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users