Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Huddersfield Rugby League Heritage Project

history legacy

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

There has been some discussion of rugby league's history and heritage on this forum of late, so I figured now would be a good time to flag up the fantastic Huddersfield Giants Rugby League Heritage Project and its associated website. Fantastic resources are being digitised and added every week from the RFL archive or private collections, so keep checking back to see what's new.

http://www.huddersfi...heritage.co.uk/

Search on facebook for: Huddersfield Rugby League Heritage Project

Or follow on twitter: @HuddsRLHeritage

:)

Follow me on Twitter: @VDawsonRL

#2 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,687 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:44 AM

Really excellent stuff. Well done!

#3 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,879 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

We don't really do good news threads do we?

One lone reply rather than 12 pages of 'banter' ...
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#4 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,497 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:25 PM

Pity that there's not more of this.

Good work !
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#5 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:48 PM

It's good stuff that they're doing, and really great to see stuff like this happening in the run up to 2014, which will be the club's 150th anniversary and the 100th anniversary of the Team of All Talents.

I have some stuff at home that I hope to get put up on the site, this thread just reminded me to start sorting it out

One piece in particular I'm very proud of and was even pondering whether I should loan it to the RL Heritage Centre, but I'll wait to see how that pans out.

That's me.  I'm done.

#6 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:47 PM

It's good stuff that they're doing, and really great to see stuff like this happening in the run up to 2014, which will be the club's 150th anniversary and the 100th anniversary of the Team of All Talents.

I have some stuff at home that I hope to get put up on the site, this thread just reminded me to start sorting it out

One piece in particular I'm very proud of and was even pondering whether I should loan it to the RL Heritage Centre, but I'll wait to see how that pans out.

You could always loan it to the RFL Archive, which is kept at The University of Huddersfield in a temperature controlled strong room. They will even make sure it is kept in the correct archival packaging at no cost to you. From here, with your permission, whatever it is can be put on display as part of various projects, including exhibitions at the RL Heritage Centre (in whatever form it takes in the future).

Regarding heritage, expect more news in the near future. There are several exciting projects in the pipeline and as soon as they're finalised I shall see to it I redress the misery/good news imbalance on the forum!

#7 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:58 AM

Could we get a special display at the football museum in Manchester? They must do one offs.

#8 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:28 PM

You could always loan it to the RFL Archive, which is kept at The University of Huddersfield in a temperature controlled strong room. They will even make sure it is kept in the correct archival packaging at no cost to you. From here, with your permission, whatever it is can be put on display as part of various projects, including exhibitions at the RL Heritage Centre (in whatever form it takes in the future).

I might do that. I need to spend a bit of time working out what I do have as I've lost track of it all.

FWIW, my "pride and joy" is the wage ledger for the Team of All Talents. If you want to know what Harold Wagstaff or Albert Rosenfeld were paid, I'll look it up.

I also have a few player contracts, including (I think) one for Lionel Cooper.

That's me.  I'm done.

#9 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

Could we get a special display at the football museum in Manchester? They must do one offs.

We have strong links with the National Football Museum in Manchester, and I have no doubt that if they have any origins of the football codes events then Tony Collins will be the first person they contact. however, in this, the 150th anniversary of the Football Association, it is unlikely in the short term.

Regarding the origins of football, with the inevitable inclusion of the rugby codes, Tony Collins is giving a lunchtime talk at the NFM on Wednesday, 23rd January. For info see this link.

I might do that. I need to spend a bit of time working out what I do have as I've lost track of it all.

FWIW, my "pride and joy" is the wage ledger for the Team of All Talents. If you want to know what Harold Wagstaff or Albert Rosenfeld were paid, I'll look it up.

I also have a few player contracts, including (I think) one for Lionel Cooper.

Sounds like you have some really interesting items. As what you have is paper, the University Archive is definitely the best place for it, as they will store it at the correct temperature in packaging that will preserve its life. As with so many documents, they disintegrate over time with exposure to heat and damp in the atmosphere. You wouldn't ever need to relinquish ownership, nor would anyone you bequeath your items to, but at least you know they'd be preserved correctly for generations to come. If you are interested, let me know and Tony and I can arrange to come and meet you to discuss it further. :)

Edited by Victoria Dawson, 11 January 2013 - 11:44 AM.

#10 T-Dub

T-Dub
  • Coach
  • 1,987 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:25 PM

Can this be pinned - people should know about good stuff like this, especially when events occurr

Good work, Victoria

#11 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,366 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:52 PM

I confused this project with this

http://www.rugbyleag...lhistory.co.uk/

that was something different, was it? Even though it was Huddersfield University.

You Can't Buy Team Spirit

#12 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

Can this be pinned - people should know about good stuff like this, especially when events occurr

Good work, Victoria

I can't take any credit for work on this project; in this instance I am merely the messenger. It took a team of people lead by Brian Heywood many thousands of hours to get this project in motion. Anyone who thinks it's easy to get HLF funding is way off of the mark!

I confused this project with this

http://www.rugbyleag...lhistory.co.uk/

that was something different, was it? Even though it was Huddersfield University.

Yes, that project was different, and some of the collected memories can be found in this book, edited by Rob Light. There will be more to come from this project in the future and it will feed into new projects too.

#13 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,332 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:45 PM

We have strong links with the National Football Museum in Manchester, and I have no doubt that if they have any origins of the football codes events then Tony Collins will be the first person they contact. however, in this, the 150th anniversary of the Football Association, it is unlikely in the short term.

Regarding the origins of football, with the inevitable inclusion of the rugby codes, Tony Collins is giving a lunchtime talk at the NFM on Wednesday, 23rd January. For info see this link.

Bit far to go for a lunchtime talk but I'll be popping along to the one you're doing at Hull History Centre.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#14 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,260 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Some cards are to produced as part of the project. One for the memorabilia collectors.

http://www.huddersfi...ors' Cards.html

#15 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,366 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:41 PM

Yes, that project was different, and some of the collected memories can be found in this book, edited by Rob Light. There will be more to come from this project in the future and it will feed into new projects too.

Aye, I got that book. Good read it was. Plenty of Fev characters in there, including Mick Morgan's comment used as the title.

#16 marklaspalmas

marklaspalmas
  • Coach
  • 11,366 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

Some cards are to produced as part of the project. One for the memorabilia collectors.

http://www.huddersfi...ors' Cards.html

They look nice them.

#17 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

Bit far to go for a lunchtime talk but I'll be popping along to the one you're doing at Hull History Centre.

Great, it will be good to see you. Tony Collins is also doing one that evening in Hull, venue TBC. So put that in your diary too. Will post the details nearer the time. :)

#18 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,332 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

Great, it will be good to see you. Tony Collins is also doing one that evening in Hull, venue TBC. So put that in your diary too. Will post the details nearer the time. :)

Good stuff, I'll look forward to that.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#19 Victoria Dawson

Victoria Dawson
  • Players
  • 80 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:24 PM

Good stuff, I'll look forward to that.

Looks like it will be at The Freedom Centre on Preston Road, as the organisation hosting like to put cultural events in the community, rather than in the usual venues like the university or Princes Ave. Will let you know nearer the time.

Hope to see you and yours at the Alan Burwell Cup launch next week... :)

#20 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,332 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Looks like it will be at The Freedom Centre on Preston Road, as the organisation hosting like to put cultural events in the community, rather than in the usual venues like the university or Princes Ave. Will let you know nearer the time.

Hope to see you and yours at the Alan Burwell Cup launch next week... :)

Thanks for the update, Vik.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users