Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oxford RLFC news thread

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:58 AM

Oxford recruitment drive continues

Oxford are delighted to announce the signing of 21 year old Hooker George Stevens.
Stevens who can also play Loose forward has previously played for the West London Sharks, Hemel Stags and St Albans Centurions. He also represented the London and the south from under 12 through to under 18 and the Harlequins foundation.
"George stood out in the trials, is good with ball in hand, he is excellent at building momentum and getting the team going in the forwards and defended very well," said coach Tony Benson.
George said of his move to the club, "I’m really glad to have joined, and to be have been selected from the players who all trialled, because in the games that I played in there was some real quality.
"I am looking forward to the season and I can’t wait to test myself on the next stage up from what I was playing last season and see how we can get on.
"My aims are to first of all get into the starting thirteen as soon as I can. When I’ve done that I want to be able to hold my position, and improve on a weekly basis."

Oxford swoop for Hornet

Oxford have completed the signing of 23 year old Full back Jonny Leather from Rochdale Hornets where he made 16 appearances last season scoring 16 tries in the process. Leather has also played for Widnes Vikings and Blackpool in his playing career so far.
Tony Benson was delighted at completing the signing of Leather "Whenever he has been in the opposition for the teams that I have coached in the past he has ripped us up. He is normally top of the try scoring charts and has a lot of experience considering he is still very young. Jonny can also jump into the halves if needed and he will be a fantastic addition to the team."
Jonny was equally pleased to have joined, "I'm looking forward to being part of history in our debut season in Championship One, we have some fantastic talent at the club and I believe we will surprise a few teams this season and can make the play offs."

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

Looking like they'll be by far the strongest new side on the field. Maybe midtable?

#3 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,909 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:10 PM

They must be well funded because a while back some of the established players at C1 clubs were starting to be approached by Oxford and were amazed at the amounts being offered in comparison to say Oldham or Rochdale's offers.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#4 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 595 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:35 PM

I too am amazed at the number of quality players they seem to be taking on. Mid table at worst I think. Have a tidy website and stadium etc. I think they could go well, brilliant given that to some their inclusion was a shock.
Gloucestershire still worry me greatly. No website of their own, no news on tickets or merchandise. How is their squad coming along, not heard too much. Will it be pretty much their studnt team + a couple of outsdiers? If so, could be sme record defeats on the table.

Somebody from the club needs to start making some noises soon if they are expecting to drum up any interest at all.

Living in Bristol I was hoping to get to a fair few Gloucestershire games next season but think the slightly longer trip to Oxford is looking much more appealing. Have any of the new clubs set any taregts for expected attendances etc?

#5 brooza

brooza
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Boooo! Hisss!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#6 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,956 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

I'm not sure where Hemel will get a Championship 1 standard side from either. At least they're very well run in other respects.

#7 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:00 PM

I'm not sure where Hemel will get a Championship 1 standard side from either. At least they're very well run in other respects.

But there have at least been noises from Hemel, which there hasn't from Gloucestershire, will start a separate thread on that.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:01 PM

They're total sell outs now.

I mean, they are putting a proper path down around the pitch.

It'll be lattes in the club house next.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 972 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:02 PM

Oxford appear to have a strong board and administration so hopefully they'll surprise a few people.

#10 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,165 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:09 PM

Indeed. On paper, they would seem to be a good addition to the league. Hope all goes well for them.

#11 Exiled Townie

Exiled Townie
  • Coach
  • 3,334 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

Boooo! Hisss!

George is a good lad and will be missed at St Albans, but his transfer fee should go some way towards building our new clubhouse. ;)

Jamfree.gifth_jasmax001.jpglaughingstock.jpg
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." G.Orwell.
St Albans Centurions Website & St Albans Centurions Photo Site

#12 Tusbab

Tusbab
  • Players
  • 18 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

Strange that Oxford can't get a team out for the Northern Rail Cup?

Any truth that their training base is in Wigan?

#13 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,799 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:54 PM

I'm sure Troy will have contacts.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#14 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 213 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:20 PM

Oxford were allowed to opt out of the Northern Rail Cup because they were put into the pro ranks later than the other clubs.
That evened out the group numbers, but it also means they can spread their playing budget over fewer games than the others, which might partly explain how they can offer better wages than the likes of Rochdale or Oldham.

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,065 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:50 PM

Good luck Oxford. I worked there for eight months as a teenager. Great town.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#16 brooza

brooza
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:53 AM

George is a good lad and will be missed at St Albans, but his transfer fee should go some way towards building our new clubhouse. ;)

There was a transfer fee? In that case, good riddance to him! :)
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, København Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

#17 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Oxford swoop for ex Skolar

Oxford are delighted to announce the signing of former London Skolars player Glenn Osborn.
"I coached him at Skolars previously, he is not the biggest prop in the game but has excellent feet and defends strongly," said coach Tony Benson. "He can also play as a back rower if needed as he has a strong pass."
Glenn is delighted at securing the move. "It is exciting times at the club. I spoke with Tony when I heard the club was being created and I wanted to be a part of it.
"When we trained together on 6th January there was a real buzz around the place. We have high calibre players here and we should be aiming for the play-offs this season."

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#18 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

There was a transfer fee? In that case, good riddance to him! :)

Tut tut. Rugby fans really are,fickle... :D
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#19 brooza

brooza
  • 4,353 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

Tut tut. Rugby fans really are,fickle... :D

:D

He's a good bloke, best of luck to him

#20 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,626 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

Oxford Swoop for RAF trio

Oxford's recruitment today continued with the signing of backrower Alan Blewitt, He has played for the Combined Services at both Rugby League and Rugby Union, and has represented the GB Armed Forces at the last World Cup in 2008 and will also be representing them again in this year's tournament which is due to be held in the UK. Alan has also represented Henley and Chinnor Rugby Union Clubs.
"He is a big back row forward who stood out in the trials, he's very strong defensively, experienced and just loves playing rugby league," announced a delighted Tony Benson
We are also delighted to announce Ozzy Hicks and Phil Cavanagh will be joining the club's backroom staff.
Hicks will be coming on board as a sports and remedial massage therapist and said on joining Oxford "After many years playing Rugby League for the RAF, Combined Services and Oxford Cavaliers, this is a fantastic opportunity for me to put something back into Rugby League especially in the great City of Oxford. I am sure there will be a few doubters but with the professionalism and enthusiasm of the set-up I am now involved with, I am certain we will surprise many people."
Cavanagh will be the club's new kit manager and said "Having been based at RAF Benson for the past 18 months with very little Rugby league in the area I was really excited to hear about a new team starting up in Oxford. A couple of my friends told me about it and said there would be an open trial for player recruitment, as head coach of RAF Benson, that got me excited as it was a chance for some of my players to show what they could do. I was then told the club were looking for a Kit Manager and would I be interested in this post. I had a few chats with the Head Coach, Tony Benson, and accepted the offer straight away."
"It is a very exciting time now being involved with Oxford RL from its very start and I look forward to helping the club grow and establishing Rugby League in the South. I never thought I’d be involved with Rugby League at this level so I am very grateful to Tony and everybody else at Oxford RL for giving me the opportunity."

John Drake
TotalRL.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users