RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE (ISSUE 397 - MAY 2014): Available to download now. Get the app from Apple Newsstand or GooglePlay, or click here to read it online now at Pocketmags.com - Print edition in shops from Friday, or click here to get it delivered by post in the UK or worldwide.

Rugby League World - April 2014
League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Oxford RLFC news thread

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#41 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 11:17 AM

Press Release: Oxford sign Cavalier

Oxford RL recruitment drive continues as we are delighted to confirm the signing of 23 year old Centre Jack Briggs.
Briggs who can also play on the wing has previously represented the Oxford Cavaliers.
"He is a big strong unit, scored 3 or 4 tries in the trials and has played strongly throughout the season," said Tony Benson on his latest recruit.
On signing with Oxford Jack was delighted. "It was unexpected and is an amazing feeling, it is great that Professional Rugby League is heading to Oxford."
"My aspirations for the season is to keep working hard, I am new to the game but I am looking forward to the challenges ahead and working with Tony and the rest of the coaching team."
Oxford Cavaliers coach Matt Walsh said, "Jack has been with Cavaliers for approx five seasons now. Over the last three years he has become a real class player. His speed, strength and ability to pick the right line has meant that he has torn defences apart at conference level. He was the top try scorer in the league during the Cavaliers title winning 2012 season.
"He is truly dedicated, reliable and gives his all. Making the step up to play Championship One football will really benefit Jack. Playing with other quality players will bring his game on in leaps and bounds. Rather than having to step in to do extra work at pivot or first receiver he can concentrate on exploiting space out on the fringes"
"It'll be an exciting season. I'm sure Jack will be a real asset to Oxford RL."

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#42 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 30 January 2013 - 10:13 AM

Oxford sign Cavaliers Chairman

Oxford are delighted to announce the signing of scrum half John Connaughton from Oxford Cavaliers. Connaugton who can also play in the hooker position is the current chairman and club captain of Oxford Cavaliers and his previous club's include Oldham Saint Annes, Saddleworth Rangers, Royton Tigers and Halifax Blue Sox.
Coach Tony Benson said of his latest recruit, "He has been the stewardship of the Cavaliers and really stood out in the trials where he made some excellent breaks and is a fantastic passer of the ball.
"He's doing a lot development work off his own back for a number of years in the Oxford area, so for him to get involved and be part of our club is fantastic."
John was delighted at making the move and said, "I am really excited about being part of the history of Rugby League in Oxford. Firstly being invited back to the final trial felt like a great achievement especially at the late age if 29. To go one better and be lucky enough to be part of the final squad, I didn't think was possible.
"It's certainly the highlight of my Rugby League career so far, I've got that hunger back that I had when I was 16 training with the Halifax Blue Sox. I hope I can be a big part of the squad in our debut season and with a bit of luck I can INSPIRE some of the pupils at Bartholomew School where I work to become involved in the game."

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#43 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 11:40 AM

Oxford sign up Irish International

Oxford are delighted to announce the signing of prop forward Matty Hadden. Hadden who can also play second row played for the Antrim Eels over in Ireland where he made 4 appearances last season scoring 10 tries in the process. Matty made his debut last season for Ireland and played against the England Knights, he has also represented the Irish students and Ireland A in his short career so far.
Coach Tony Benson was delighted to secure the services of Matty and said, "I was alerted to Matty by Wayne Kerr who I coached at Skolars. He played a few games for Ireland A but quickly progressed to the full Ireland team where he played against the England Knights last season. I watched a couple of his games and was very impressed, he is a powerful player, strong and has lots of ability.
"Wakefield are very keen on props and Richard Agar is keeping a close eye on him and Matty will attend some Wakefield sessions throughout the season. We have also arranged for Paul Sculthorpe MBE to act as a mentor to help him develop as a player. This is where the pathways that we have put into place come into fruition.
"Matty also got the opportunity to train with Sheffield during their pre season and he got the train to every session until our pre season started and I think that shows how much Matty wants this opportunity and to continue to develop himself."
Matty said on his move, "I am chuffed to join the club and I am glad to be presented with the opportunity. My aim this season is to play as many games as I possibly can.
"We had our fitness testing a couple of weeks ago and I was really impressed with the squad and there was a high standard displayed and I have no doubt we will have a successful season."
Club President of the Antrim Eels Pascal Mulot said, "Matty is a quality player, who will do really well in Championship One and has a bright future ahead of him. The club is delighted for him and wish him the best of luck for the future."

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#44 amh

amh
  • 11,071 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 07:29 AM

http://www.oxfordrl....atest-news.html another Eels lad - centre/back row

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#45 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 540 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:53 AM

Oxford could be the ones to watch. Be interesting to see how they go

#46 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 11:18 AM

Oxford Capture Ireland A Star

Oxford have strengthened their Irish connections further with the signing of Kenny Calladine who joins the club from the Ballynahinch Bunnies. Prop Calladine who has also represented Ulster students and Ulster, was selected for Ireland A where he spent last summer training.

Kenny is delighted at making the move and said, "I am truly grateful to be given this opportunity with Oxford, and I can't wait to be a part of what is already looking to be a top quality set up. There is a lot of hard work to be done, but I am looking forward to the challenge ahead.

"My goals for the season are simply to fight my way into the team and stay there. There has been some quality players signed so competition for places will be fierce and I am now just looking forward to working hard in pre-season with Oxford and towards our first match in March."

Oxford Coach Tony Benson said, "Kenny is a very big unit, he is agile, quick for his size and can pass in traffic. He caught my eye with the high number of tackles he made in a row when under pressure considering his size and he has a big future in the game."

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#47 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

Oxford snap up young half

Oxford's recruitment plans are gathering pace with the signing of 23 year old halfback Tommy Connick. Tommy has played for Leigh and more recently Oldham and has honours with Lancashire and Great Britain.
Coach Tony Benson is delighted to secure the services of Tommy and said, "He is a very good young half from Oldham who fought his way into the first team squad. Tommy has an excellent kicking game and is very strong for a half, He will be a huge asset this season."
Tommy is delighted at making the move and said, "I am thrilled to be here and I am looking forward to getting some good wins behind us as I believe with the squad we have assembled can surprise a few people this season."

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#48 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Oxford land Cavalier

Oxford are delighted to announce the signing of 23 year old centre Matt Fiander. Matt who can also play loose forward has been playing for Oxford Cavaliers and has previously represented Henley Hawks RFC and the University of Gloucestershire. Matt has representative honours for South England Students.
Coach Tony Benson said, "Matt in the trial stood out in positional play, played centre and ran some really good lines."
Matt said on his move, "I am hugely excited to be playing for Oxford Rugby League and look forward to a good year. After playing for the University of Gloucestershire, I'm looking for a new challenge in the professional world of Rugby League.
I look forward to a solid few months of pre-season to get prepared for a solid season. Although this will be a tough first year, I feel confident that we can solidify our place in this league as serious contenders."

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#49 Celtic Rooster

Celtic Rooster
  • Coach
  • 1,585 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 06:54 PM

Oxford will finish in the bottom 4. I'm not arguing. Wait and see.

#50 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:33 PM

Oxford will finish in the bottom 4. I'm not arguing. Wait and see.

So who are you going for 1-9?
si tu (remi casty) devais envoyer un fax au president guasch?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"Just as we had been Cathars, we were treizistes, men apart."
Jean Roque, Calendrier-revue du Racing-Club Albigeois, 1958-1959

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"
Harold 'Jersey' Flegg 1933

#51 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,131 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:46 AM

Oxford move for All Gold

Oxford RL ranks grew again today with confirmation of the signing of 23 year old Nath Rainer.
Rainer who is a robust prop and can also play second row joins from the University of Gloucestershire All Golds. He has also represented Wales RL students where he played in the 2012 Student Rugby League Four Nations Tournament.
On joining Oxford Nath said, "I am very happy to be joining Oxford as my first professional team. Oxford has an experienced board with equally experienced coaches to help develop me as a player to send me in the right direction.
"Already Oxford, and especially Tony Benson, has shown great support since I have signed which has been very encouraging. All the ingredients needed to make a great, successful club are there which I hope I can contribute to. I’m very much looking forward to pre season to meet up with the squad and get the Championship One campaign underway."
Coach Tony Benson said of his latest recruit, "He did really well in the trials, ran with the ball a lot and supported the runners. He worked very hard defensively, is big and powerful and has room to offload. I was very impressed with him and he has a big future ahead of him."

John Drake
TotalRL.com

#52 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,592 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

So who are you going for 1-9?

It would be a turn up for the books if the bottom 4 were not the three new clubs plus Gateshead. Rome was not built in a day.

#53 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:15 PM

It would be a turn up for the books if the bottom 4 were not the three new clubs plus Gateshead. Rome was not built in a day.

So its:

North Wales
Oldham
Skolars
Rochdale
South Wales

in that order?
"Un grand bravo pour tout ce que vous avez fait, et merci de m'avoir embarqué dans cette aventure."

"It involves matters much greater than drafting the new rules...the original and existing games have their own powerful appeal to their players and public and have the sentiments which history inspires"

#54 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,592 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:19 PM

So its:

North Wales
Oldham
Skolars
Rochdale
South Wales

in that order?

I wouldn't like to say what order they will finish other than I would expect to see a clear difference between the oldies (relatively speaking) and the newbies (with Gateshead thrown in). Any new side finishing above sixth will have done very indeed.

#55 audois

audois
  • Coach
  • 1,909 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:31 PM

I 've heard it said that CC1 is lower level than top of NCL but see that North Wales put 50 past Thatto Heath up in St Helens.

#56 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 16,592 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 03:40 PM

I 've heard it said that CC1 is lower level than top of NCL but see that North Wales put 50 past Thatto Heath up in St Helens.

I wouldn't put too much emphasis on one game. North Wales were flying at the time and that wasn't their only good result around then.

The new clubs are mostly based around RLC players and the odd union convert from a low level league, it's hard to see that being above NCL level.

Give them time and they might do very well but it's going to be a learning curve in their first season if history is anything to go by.

#57 Gav

Gav
  • Coach
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

They've got a player called Jonny Leather, and for that reason alone I think they deserve everyone's support.

Nottingham Outlaws RLFC

RLC Premier Champions 2008

Midlands Premier Champions 2006 & 2008

North Midlands Champions 2003 & 2004

RLC Club Of The Year 2001

Outlaws Match Photos

#58 PhilCarrington

PhilCarrington
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 09:55 PM

Oxford move for All Gold

Oxford RL ranks grew again today with confirmation of the signing of 23 year old Nath Rainer.
Rainer who is a robust prop and can also play second row joins from the University of Gloucestershire All Golds. He has also represented Wales RL students where he played in the 2012 Student Rugby League Four Nations Tournament.
On joining Oxford Nath said, "I am very happy to be joining Oxford as my first professional team. Oxford has an experienced board with equally experienced coaches to help develop me as a player to send me in the right direction.
"Already Oxford, and especially Tony Benson, has shown great support since I have signed which has been very encouraging. All the ingredients needed to make a great, successful club are there which I hope I can contribute to. I’m very much looking forward to pre season to meet up with the squad and get the Championship One campaign underway."
Coach Tony Benson said of his latest recruit, "He did really well in the trials, ran with the ball a lot and supported the runners. He worked very hard defensively, is big and powerful and has room to offload. I was very impressed with him and he has a big future ahead of him."

Worrying that UGAG are losing players so close to the start of the season.

#59 Quinskolar

Quinskolar
  • Coach
  • 35 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:22 AM

I would expect that Oxford has more money than UGAG. Money talks..................

#60 Manx RL

Manx RL
  • Coach
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

'Welsh descendant playing the northern version of Egg Chasing! Playing Championship 1 with Oxford, Student Rugby League with the All Golds'

https://twitter.com/NathRainer
- Adepto Successu Per Tributum Fuga -

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users