Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

James Toseland aiming for 400mph...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

...on two wheels!

Is being married to Katie Melua so dull that he has to go to this extreme to get his kicks? ;)

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#2 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 3,980 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:48 PM

I wonder what someone on a real bike, (not one thats been made into a tube) could achieve as a top speed.

#3 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

I wonder what someone on a real bike, (not one thats been made into a tube) could achieve as a top speed.

Depends what you mean by 'real bike', as most have some form of streamlining. If you mean a bike that's shaped like a regular road machine, I believe the record is around the 260mph mark.

No idea what the record is for an unfaired bike.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#4 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,062 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:14 PM

The standard street-legal Suzuki Hayabusa used to do 190mph, easily outstripped a Ferrari's performance and cost £13000 when new. I bet you could pick up a secondhand belter for £6000.

Edited by Wolford6, 09 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#5 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,033 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:29 PM

The standard street-legal Suzuki Hayabusa used to do 190mph, easily outstripped a Ferrari's performance and cost £13000 when new. I bet you could pick up a secondhand belter for £6000.

my Mid-Life Crisis has 160bhp and an alleged top speed in excess of 175mph, price new was £12500 or so, I got a 2008 model for under £6500.
And it's a lot prettier than a Hayabusa.
Adrian Morley's a lot prettier than a Hayabusa.

Edited by Shadow, 09 January 2013 - 02:29 PM.

God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#6 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

The Hayabusa seems to be the bike of choice for these production-based records.

Land Speed Records seem to be back in fashion. In the car world, Richard Noble's Bloodhound SSC will be competing against multiple projects from the USA, Australia and New Zealand. Mind you, one of the American projects seems to consist of just removing the wings from a Lockheed Starfighter and adding wheels. Not very imaginative!

#7 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

The Hayabusa seems to be the bike of choice for these production-based records.

Land Speed Records seem to be back in fashion. In the car world, Richard Noble's Bloodhound SSC will be competing against multiple projects from the USA, Australia and New Zealand. Mind you, one of the American projects seems to consist of just removing the wings from a Lockheed Starfighter and adding wheels. Not very imaginative!

Cracking documentary on the Beeb the other night about various people building cars and bikes to have a pop at speed records in Bonneville. The Great British Shed lives!

As an aside, when Bloodhound runs, it will have my daughter's name in tiny writing (alongside thousands of others) on the fin. *proud Dad*

That's me.  I'm done.

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,381 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

Cracking documentary on the Beeb the other night about various people building cars and bikes to have a pop at speed records in Bonneville. The Great British Shed lives!

Part 2, next Sunday, is when the speed action really starts. Part 1 was preparation, which was interesting enough.

#9 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 04:29 PM

Part 2, next Sunday, is when the speed action really starts. Part 1 was preparation, which was interesting enough.

Looking forward to it. With a new series of Ice Pilots on Sundays as well, it has become my TV revenge for all that Strictly nonsense I've had to endure.

That's me.  I'm done.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users