TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

An eerie silence from Gloucester All Golds.

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#61 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

Yet more silence...

;)
Posted Image

#62 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:59 PM

I think some of the concern is justified to be fair. To be so close to the debut season without a website, confirmed squad etc is worrying.

There is some information out there but the point is you have to seek it out.

#63 John Rhino

John Rhino
  • Coach
  • 2,514 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:21 PM

I think some of the concern is justified to be fair. To be so close to the debut season without a website, confirmed squad etc is worrying.

I think they do have a website but it is buried on Pitchero.

All they need is a registered name and point it at the site. Cost a couple of quid a year. Eg www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk although even this has confused a few people at our club! :-)

Derby City - proud to be flying the flag for Rugby League in the Midlands for over 24 years.

Visit:  http://www.derbycityrlfc.co.uk and see the progress being made.

Follow us on Twitter: @derbycityrlfc

#64 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

The only site I can find is Gloucestershire Warriors site.

#65 TheMancunianCandidate

TheMancunianCandidate
  • Coach
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:50 AM

Knowing the set up of the club, their current management skill mix is wrong. It is worrying, but I hope that they can become more visible very soon.

That being said, they may be very visible in Cheltenham - it's difficult to fully assess something like this unless one is 'on the ground'.

Early days, and one would expect them to be a bit rough around the edges.

#66 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:55 AM

I did hear a whisper a year or two ago that would start up and operate with a strong contingent of Leeds Academy lads.

#67 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:33 AM

There's definitely a Leeds influence (the Rhinos even have full time staff in the region), perhaps that influence could do with being even stronger

#68 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,822 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

I did hear a whisper a year or two ago that would start up and operate with a strong contingent of Leeds Academy lads.

I can't believe the RFL plan that far ahead.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#69 Cardiff Cymru

Cardiff Cymru
  • Coach
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:12 PM

Don't know what's happened to their site but I know they've a full squad in training. Two or three Scorpions players from last year will probably be in it.
About time I updated this.

Join Rebtel for cheap international calls

#70 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

Non of my comments are 'being negative'. I am forever bigging up RL down South. I just feel that having a real bonus in having a semi pro club not too far from where i live is a one off opportunity that is being badly managed so far. If they start to sort out their act (as a few of your posts suggest they are doing) then brilliant, nobody will be as pleased as I will be.

to be honest it was the comment "has anyone heard any news on the formation of the All Golds or anything slightly promotional?" that made me post the links etc..

as for your interest in the schools promotional side.. not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but have you thought of contacting them and suggesting it, maybe even saying that you may help out or no someone who can..

there is a lot to do setting up a club etc and if people have ideas or can help then it is more than useful for them to stick their hands up with either suggestions or offers of help.

#71 BBR

BBR
  • Coach
  • 662 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 02:56 PM

to be honest it was the comment "has anyone heard any news on the formation of the All Golds or anything slightly promotional?" that made me post the links etc..

as for your interest in the schools promotional side.. not wanting to teach you to suck eggs but have you thought of contacting them and suggesting it, maybe even saying that you may help out or no someone who can..

there is a lot to do setting up a club etc and if people have ideas or can help then it is more than useful for them to stick their hands up with either suggestions or offers of help.

To be honest, I have better things to do with my time than to email a load of clubs on the off chance that they are doing something with local schools that they are keeping a secret.

If they wanted local schools involved they should have contacted them. As I said, maybe they did and the PE staff didn't forward it on. Who knows.

I really do want Glos to be a success but I can't think of one advantage they will get by not engaging with their public unless they genuinely want to play every game behind closed doors. You shouldn't have to go out and search for info, they should be making themsleves as visible as possible.

#72 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

To be honest, I have better things to do with my time than to email a load of clubs on the off chance that they are doing something with local schools that they are keeping a secret.

If they wanted local schools involved they should have contacted them. As I said, maybe they did and the PE staff didn't forward it on. Who knows.

I really do want Glos to be a success but I can't think of one advantage they will get by not engaging with their public unless they genuinely want to play every game behind closed doors. You shouldn't have to go out and search for info, they should be making themsleves as visible as possible.

thats the spirit.. i really want them to be a success but i frankly cant be bothered to drop them a quick email to offer ideas or help!

I understand what you are saying with the last paragraph but you have finite resources and maybe they are being deployed in other areas and some help would be very much appreciated.. yes you shouldnt need to search for it but frankly there are times i have to search for information on sheffield wednesday and you would assume they are getting things out.. i just miss them/need different info/ignored it first time around.. and as you say maybe they have but the relevant member of staff hasnt passed it on which is hardly their fault..

in the time it took you to reply to my post you could have emailed them posing the questions or offereing your help, after all its one club not "a load of clubs".. this is the one you are concerned about..

there are too many people in this world (and in my experience RL has a hell of a lot) who are prepared to complain and critisise but arent prepared to help.

#73 Evil Homer

Evil Homer
  • Coach
  • 450 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 05:22 PM

there are too many people in this world (and in my experience RL has a hell of a lot) who are prepared to complain and critisise but arent prepared to help.

Why should some random poster on a message board be obliged to help out a semi-professional RL club that are not promoting themselves? Your argument is complete nonsense.

#74 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 07:04 PM

I am sure the all golds will be fine as Lionel would not have got into it otherwise, the man is a rugby league person through and through but prefers the romance of university league/the old york 9,s etc to SL i think:)

CM

He's a perfect fit then. SL is light years away., if ever , for Gloucester.

#75 RP London

RP London
  • Coach
  • 12,678 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Why should some random poster on a message board be obliged to help out a semi-professional RL club that are not promoting themselves? Your argument is complete nonsense.

I am not saying he is obliged to.. but in the time he came on here to complain he could have sent them an email with his idea or suggestion.. no more no less, he doesnt have to do anything else but its much more useful to everyone concerned (and especiallif he really does want to see the team succeed) to fire his sugestion to the people that matter rather than a message board!

If everyone did that then maybe these clubs would succeed..

Semi pro club maybe but everyone needs help to succeed espeically right at the beginning.. Championship and SL clubs are helped by volunteers.. so i would say it is even more important to the likes of the All golds..

nonsense you may think but if we truley are an "RL Family" and we truly want expansion to succeed then a little bit of pro activness never goes amiss.

#76 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

I agree once when i was over in the UK i had the pleasure of having dinner with him his knowledge of the game is incredible,he is a good friend of Cliff (Who sadly hardly ever posts on here nowadays) also is a top criminal barrister and historian.CM

Yes, the spread of amateur RL all over Britain can be attributed directly to his vision in founding the first summer conference league and ensuring it happened and was successful.When the history of the game is written or continued I hope his contribution is acknowledged. Of course he is not yet history as his involvement with the All Golds demonstrates.

By the way, what an inspired name " All Golds". It both celebrates the history of the game and at the same time turns a contemptuous epither aimed at out fledgling game into a celebration of our success and longevity.

#77 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 02:23 PM

Yes, the spread of amateur RL all over Britain can be attributed directly to his vision in founding the first summer conference league and ensuring it happened and was successful.When the history of the game is written or continued I hope his contribution is acknowledged. Of course he is not yet history as his involvement with the All Golds demonstrates.

By the way, what an inspired name " All Golds". It both celebrates the history of the game and at the same time turns a contemptuous epither aimed at out fledgling game into a celebration of our success and longevity.

Not true though he helped preserve a declining non-heartland amateur game and triggered the new wave of growth albeit at the major disadvantage of being tied to the RU off season.

Whilst when BARLA was founded there was a small Southern ARL of about 3 clubs (all based in London and mainly Australian) this was grown by the 1980s to 2/3 divisions with a Midlands and South West League, and an East Midlands League (with 1-2 divisions each), and at imes 3 other small leagues (Eastern Counties, North East and Staffordshire). These latter developments started with outposts of the Southern League breaking away but also the East Midlands League spun off from the West Yorkshire Sunday League and the North East League spun off from the York and District Sunday League.

These developments were in the first wave of expansion (say late 70s and especially early to mid 80s) often based around students, armed forces and miners but with an expat Australian element in London. Gloucestershire seems to have had a lot of clubs in those days. A second wave of expansion after 1989 saw RU players allowed to play on a Sunday. This boom saw some clubs like Birmingham and St Ives originate along with many lost to the game.

By the mid 90s these leagues were in often terminal decline with by the time the RLC was founded only the London League (2 divisions), the North East League and East Midlands League surviving albeit the latter 2 with few clubs. An attempt to the save the non heartland game roughly coinciding with the creation of the RLC saw the better East Midlands and North East clubs switching to the Yorkshire League before they all eventually went summer or folded.

So the RLC was just one of many eras of rugby league expansion and its creation saw the forcing of many clubs whose face didn't fit out of the game (this was nearly the fate of St Ives). If it weren't for the RLC needing to fill out gaps when NL3 and then the premier divisions were created there'd have been many more clubs driven out. On the other hand from 2005 onwards minimum criteria were entirely removed to the point where non existant clubs got in

What's new is the junior development which largely dates to more recently than the RLC but was largely backed by community development workers that are now being withdrawn in light of Sport England cuts. A shame as the game in the midlands was far weaker before them.

We may lament the demise of West London Sharks in the current format but we must never forget they were created by killing off Brent-Ealing and London Colonials (the former in their Ealing guise dating back to 1965 so over 30 years history killed off)

The abolition of the RLC is one of the best things for a while for the non heartland game as local development has paid dividends in many regions (especially the North East). The creation of the Conference South is much needed but I'm concerned with how it will work as the RFL have prioritised not just Championship expansion but even U20s of the Championship 1 sides coinciding with NCL expansion and the withdrawal of funding. If it collapses there is nowhere obvious for the member clubs to go.

Edited by bowes, 15 January 2013 - 02:32 PM.

#78 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,051 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 03:00 PM

Not true though he helped preserve a declining non-heartland amateur game and triggered the new wave of growth albeit at the major disadvantage of being tied to the RU off season.

Whilst when BARLA was founded there was a small Southern ARL of about 3 clubs (all based in London and mainly Australian) this was grown by the 1980s to 2/3 divisions with a Midlands and South West League, and an East Midlands League (with 1-2 divisions each), and at imes 3 other small leagues (Eastern Counties, North East and Staffordshire). These latter developments started with outposts of the Southern League breaking away but also the East Midlands League spun off from the West Yorkshire Sunday League and the North East League spun off from the York and District Sunday League.

These developments were in the first wave of expansion (say late 70s and especially early to mid 80s) often based around students, armed forces and miners but with an expat Australian element in London. Gloucestershire seems to have had a lot of clubs in those days. A second wave of expansion after 1989 saw RU players allowed to play on a Sunday. This boom saw some clubs like Birmingham and St Ives originate along with many lost to the game.

By the mid 90s these leagues were in often terminal decline with by the time the RLC was founded only the London League (2 divisions), the North East League and East Midlands League surviving albeit the latter 2 with few clubs. An attempt to the save the non heartland game roughly coinciding with the creation of the RLC saw the better East Midlands and North East clubs switching to the Yorkshire League before they all eventually went summer or folded.

So the RLC was just one of many eras of rugby league expansion and its creation saw the forcing of many clubs whose face didn't fit out of the game (this was nearly the fate of St Ives). If it weren't for the RLC needing to fill out gaps when NL3 and then the premier divisions were created there'd have been many more clubs driven out. On the other hand from 2005 onwards minimum criteria were entirely removed to the point where non existant clubs got in

What's new is the junior development which largely dates to more recently than the RLC but was largely backed by community development workers that are now being withdrawn in light of Sport England cuts. A shame as the game in the midlands was far weaker before them.

We may lament the demise of West London Sharks in the current format but we must never forget they were created by killing off Brent-Ealing and London Colonials (the former in their Ealing guise dating back to 1965 so over 30 years history killed off)

The abolition of the RLC is one of the best things for a while for the non heartland game as local development has paid dividends in many regions (especially the North East). The creation of the Conference South is much needed but I'm concerned with how it will work as the RFL have prioritised not just Championship expansion but even U20s of the Championship 1 sides coinciding with NCL expansion and the withdrawal of funding. If it collapses there is nowhere obvious for the member clubs to go.

Thank you for that Bowes and your knowledge of all things related to amateur RL is far greater than mine. I was aware of the London League and the Midlands league and ,as you state, they were pretty much moribund and their future was in serious doubt and Lionel Hirsts fledgling competition kick started the explsive growth of the amateur game throughout the UK.

I will let you comment but my impression was that BARLA never really got involved with anything outside the heartland even though these various leagues were affiliated to them and that Hirst reignited expansionary growth for amateur RL outside the heartlands, aided and abetted by the switch to summer and the use of RU players and grounds in many cases.

#79 RS

RS
  • Coach
  • 619 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

Decent signing to be announced today should add a little steel to the team. Website up at 6pm too.

#80 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 11,240 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 01:57 PM

Nope - though the line-up of Conference South and fixture format should be announced soon, as clubs have been asked about different season structures etc

http://www.yorkshire...th-to-launch-in

Conference South has been launched with six teams (Bristol Sonics, St Albans Centurions, Leicester Storm, Northampton Demons, Nottingham Outlaws, Sheffield Hallam Eagles).

Looks like clubs have voted for 15 games and triple round robin.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users