Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Skipper 2013

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

Was just wondering anyone heard anything on who will be our skipper this season? But for what it's worth I would like to see heppy get it. But I guess Finn will be the favourite.

#2 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

One of those two TG. Heppy has the know how but Finny has the shrewdness to alter a game pattern.

#3 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

One of those two TG. Heppy has the know how but Finny has the shrewdness to alter a game pattern.

I wouldn't mind Finn getting it col I just think he's got enough on his plate with the goal kicking and like you say his gameplay which can change a game. But I also do think the captaincy will make or break him I.E he will thrive with the pressures or he will buckle.( I don't know which one it will be but it's a lot to ask of a player I think)

#4 Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor
  • Coach
  • 7,726 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

Tim Spears?
2008 RFL Wakefield & District Young Volunteer of the Year

#5 exiled rover

exiled rover
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:46 PM

I think Tim would make a fine skipper.

#6 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:12 AM

I thought Tim Spears too, though wouldn't be surprised if it's Finny. Interesting that Halifax have apparently appointed a new signing as their skipper (Scott Murrell); whilst Steve Crossley looks a leader-type, I'd be surprised if we went beyond last season's squad for the new captain.

#7 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:19 AM

just read in P & C Express it will be "a week or two into the season" before Tim is back and I guess that might impact slightly on Daryl's choice as he'd have to pick an interim skipper. Disappointing news as he's such an important player. With no Dickens, Smeaton, Ropati, Moloney and Spears it will certainly be a very different-looking Rovers team that opens the League campaign.

#8 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:05 AM

just read in P & C Express it will be "a week or two into the season" before Tim is back and I guess that might impact slightly on Daryl's choice as he'd have to pick an interim skipper. Disappointing news as he's such an important player. With no Dickens, Smeaton, Ropati, Moloney and Spears it will certainly be a very different-looking Rovers team that opens the League campaign.

But with DP's shrewd signings it might be a better one. But it does seem strange not to see STu's name on the players list.

#9 The Phantom Horseman

The Phantom Horseman
  • Coach
  • 252 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Oh, I'm very excited about how the new signings can contribute. However, it does concern me a bit that some fans seem to assume that just because we finished top of the league last 3 years we are guaranteed to be there again this year...people already talking about winning all 3 trophies etc. This is a tough league with some very good teams in it. We were definitely the most consistent team last year, but we weren't massively better than everyone else...Sheffield had the better of our meetings last year, Halifax beat us a couple of times, Batley gave us trouble every time they played us, Leigh looked better than us for the first hour of the play-off game... I'm not being negative as I'm hugely excited about the new season, just pointing out that last year counts for nothing and there are no entitlements. Stu will be a massive loss, more in terms of overall impact on the team than just in terms of replacing him at prop - we often seemed to do much worse when he was being spelled last year and then bounce back when he came back on. I know some people think that our being able to splash the cash to a dgree means anything other than a dominant season will be disappointing, but sport rarely works out as simple as that, and there are a number of dangerous teams in the Championship again this year. that's why it's such a good competition. Come on Fev!

#10 exiled rover

exiled rover
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

Great post, it will not be at all staightforward.

We have what looks like a good team, I certainly hope it is but time will tell.

I think talk of winning all three competitions is not only wildly optimistic but also a touch arrogant.

As ever I hope the people wearing the shirt try their hardest, play to their potential & with a bit of luck we will get what we deserve.

Cann't wait for the new season to see how we shape up against the competition.

#11 Stratobill

Stratobill
  • Coach
  • 1,894 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:54 PM

Oh, I'm very excited about how the new signings can contribute. However, it does concern me a bit that some fans seem to assume that just because we finished top of the league last 3 years we are guaranteed to be there again this year...people already talking about winning all 3 trophies etc. This is a tough league with some very good teams in it. We were definitely the most consistent team last year, but we weren't massively better than everyone else...Sheffield had the better of our meetings last year, Halifax beat us a couple of times, Batley gave us trouble every time they played us, Leigh looked better than us for the first hour of the play-off game... I'm not being negative as I'm hugely excited about the new season, just pointing out that last year counts for nothing and there are no entitlements. Stu will be a massive loss, more in terms of overall impact on the team than just in terms of replacing him at prop - we often seemed to do much worse when he was being spelled last year and then bounce back when he came back on. I know some people think that our being able to splash the cash to a dgree means anything other than a dominant season will be disappointing, but sport rarely works out as simple as that, and there are a number of dangerous teams in the Championship again this year. that's why it's such a good competition. Come on Fev!

Got to be the post of the season and it hasnt even kicked off yet. Wise words indeed
Are We Human, Or Are We Rovers. Our time For Winning Is Here And Now, So Be Loud N Proud, Lets Hear You Singing, Are We Human, Or Are Rovers. They Play With Style And Virtue, Put Their Bodys On The Line, Always Battling For The Victory, They Always Did The Best They Could, Sing Out For Fev Rovers, Blue N White Is All We Know. Stand Up Proud. Swell Your Heart. You Gotta Let Them Know, Are We Human, No We Are Rovers

#12 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Got to say I agree I don't think it's going to be easy this season etc if anything it will be harder than last season. But I've got to admit with the money we have spent on the squad this season just winning the league won't cut it. For me personally I would be very happy with just that but I doubt our BOD will be.

#13 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Agree totally with phantom Horse man. It is the desire to do the little things that wins things, chasing players down, getting down to put in a last ditch ankle tap, being the first to a bouncing ball, those sorts of things! And for me this is where we will miss stu, he was prepared to do the little things and go the extra mile. Infact its is quite remarkable that he played with the same level of desire for so long. All that said on paper we look to have a good squad so Im hoping for a good tilt at things.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#14 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,565 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Fev will start favourites due to the squads depth of quality. Your captain will be somebody who will do the 80 mins. The Twinning clubs could cause a few upsets dependent on the team they have on any given day. Fax and Leigh have recruited well, Sheffield and Batley are always tough. Of the promoted clubs Cumbria is always tough and a long way to travel, the weather could have a big role up there.

#15 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,687 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 10:22 AM

We now know Finn as the captaincy. Do we know who is vice captain yet? As I haven't heard anything.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users