• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:42 PM

Posted Image

Not for the photography thread, despite it possibly fitting the light theme, for the simple reason that I didn't take it.

It's a Tasmanian grandmother hiding her grandchildren in the sea under a jetty while their house burns in the background. It's taken by the grandfather apparently. I think it's quite brilliant.

Full story and good commentary below. One of the early comments suggests that it looks like a scene from the Depression era dustbowl. I think I know the picture he means, but I can't find it. It's something about the woman's face that does it.

http://www.guardian....ing-photograph#

And some more pictures of the scene

http://www.guardian....tralia-pictures

That's me.  I'm done.

#2 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

The picture you refer to will be this one. Its titled Migrant Mother and was taken by Dorothea Lange in 1936.

I think that one could become as iconic, its a very emotional photograph telling a story from a moment in time by the faces captured.

Posted Image

Edited by Padge, 09 January 2013 - 09:57 PM.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#3 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:00 PM

The picture you refer to will be this one. Its titled Migrant Mother and was taken by Dorothea Lange in 1936.

That's the one.

That's me.  I'm done.

#4 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

I think that one could become as iconic, its a very emotional photograph telling a story from a moment in time by the faces captured.

Posted Image

It's a brilliant photo.

Staged and manipulated but got the point across.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#5 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

'Napalm girl', for want of a better name, is probably the most powerful I can think of.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#6 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:41 PM

It is an excellent photo, and as was commented earlier, may well become an iconic representation of the situation.

It's one I'm glad I didn't take however, as I certainly wouldn't have wanted to be in that situation.

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#7 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

'Napalm girl', for want of a better name, is probably the most powerful I can think of.

The girl, now a woman, now lives peacefully in Canada.
- Severus, July 2012

#8 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,560 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 01:29 PM

Talking of people in memorable photos, this Afghan girl was tracked down years later for a TV documentary. Those eyes are amazing.

Edited by Futtocks, 10 January 2013 - 01:30 PM.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#9 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:10 PM

The one of the vulture waiting for the young child to die in the Ethiopian famine is just....I don't know really, terrible.

I believe the photgrapher had a breakdown afterwards and killed himself.

That's me.  I'm done.

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

I believe the photgrapher had a breakdown afterwards and killed himself.

Kevin Carter. Killed himself about a year after taking the photograph.
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Steve May

Steve May
  • Coach
  • 10,111 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:36 PM

Kevin Carter. Killed himself about a year after taking the photograph.

Yes, I just looked him up on Wikipedia.

Posted Image

Here's the photo, taken i Sudan. It seems that it the situation may not have been quite as it looked. The vulture may be much further away than it appears.

The guy led an interesting, but short, life it seems. Photographed a woman having a burning tyre put around her neck in South Africa and various other horrible things.

He left the following note when he ran a hosepipe from the exhaust into his car..

I am depressed ... without phone ... money for rent ... money for child support ... money for debts ... money!!! ... I am haunted by the vivid memories of killings and corpses and anger and pain ... of starving or wounded children, of trigger-happy madmen, often police, of killer executioners ... I have gone to join Ken if I am that lucky.

Cheerful stuff :o

Edited by Steve May, 10 January 2013 - 04:38 PM.

That's me.  I'm done.

#12 hindle xiii

hindle xiii
  • Coach
  • 21,157 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:08 PM

Photographed a woman having a burning tyre put around her neck in South Africa and various other horrible things.

*shudders* That's really horrible, I won't shift that image for a long time, and that's just my imagination it must look a million times worse.

If you use "should of", "would of" or "could of", you are a moron.

On Odsal Top baht 'at.

#13 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

It's a brilliant photo.

Staged and manipulated but got the point across.

As far as I'm aware it wasn't staged, however it was manipulated with the woman's thumb being 'photoshoped' out, a faint outline can be seen of it.

The controversy over the photograph came years later, Lange had promised the woman that her name would not be published, but a researcher found out who it was in 1978 and published her name. The woman was still alive and tracked down.

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#14 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,351 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

*shudders* That's really horrible, I won't shift that image for a long time, and that's just my imagination it must look a million times worse.

Sadly, a frequent 'punishment' for 'collaborators' and political opponents in the later years of apartheid. And one which I fear may come back in an unstable post-Mandela South Africa.

LUNEW.jpg

#15 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:06 PM

As far as I'm aware it wasn't staged, however it was manipulated with the woman's thumb being 'photoshoped' out, a faint outline can be seen of it.

The controversy over the photograph came years later, Lange had promised the woman that her name would not be published, but a researcher found out who it was in 1978 and published her name. The woman was still alive and tracked down.

I believe there's a contact sheet which shows the family mostly playing before being settled down for that shot.
- Severus, July 2012

#16 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,378 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:07 PM

Should you be running low on awful but incredible images google Don McCullin and James Nachtwey..
- Severus, July 2012

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,284 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:49 PM

I believe there's a contact sheet which shows the family mostly playing before being settled down for that shot.

There is rumour of such an image but nobody as far as I know has ever produced it, Langes photographs of 'the dust bowl' were for the government and are all part of the national archive.This set only contained 6 photographs and all 6 are freely available and show no such image, though in a couple of the pictures the children appear to be smiling, a natural reaction of some children to a camera.

If you look at all 6 photos you would say that possibly some were posed, not staged though as that would imply the whole thing was a 'set' put up for the photographs, the reason for thinking things are all not what it seems is the fact that a rocking chair with a boy on it moves from one picture to another.

According to the families own recollections though, Lange pulled up in her car and walked forwards the family taking photographs, she then spoke briefly to Florence Thomas, the woman in the photograph, and left.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users