is this a first for hunslet

• Please log in to reply
146 replies to this topic

#1 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:07 AM

leeds carnigie have announced they are playing a game at south leeds stadium against leinster in some sort of cup comp later this month .
as a matter of interest i was wondering if it would be the first time since 1895 that a rugby union game had been played at a hunslet home ground as i can not recall one been played before.
also what is the capacity of the ground these days as i can see the union mob been banished there a number of times this and next season
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#2 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,464 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

It's the unloved "British & Irish Cup" against Leinster A. Capacity is 4,000 so given that nobody watches this competition there will be plenty of space.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#3 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 02:55 PM

It's the unloved "British & Irish Cup" against Leinster A. Capacity is 4,000 so given that nobody watches this competition there will be plenty of space.

I thought South Leeds stadium was full to the rafters of 2,700 or so. There is just the one stand and no other terracing of spectating area as far as I know but I stand to be corrected on that. I think all this has come about because the first RU game on the new Headingley pitch ripped the surface to pieces whenever they had a scrum.

Another plus to the feeder arrangement status of Hunslet accruing to the Leesds Rugby, an extra ground to accomodate their needs. Wait until Hunslet have a home game and Leeds want to use the stadium at the same time. That will give us an indication of which club us calling the shots in this arrangement.

#4 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Hunslet will get preference. Its their ground.

Rhinos would have no say as it is owned by the council anyway.
Posted Image

#5 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Wow the posh boys venturing into Hunslet
but you and I weve been through that and this is not our fate.
So let us so let us not talk falsely now.
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#6 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

They are only playing there,because the new pitch at Headingley,apparently hasn't 'knitted' in properly yet,to take union scrumaging.In their game against Plymouth on sunday,they had to go to uncontested scrums after only 15mins,because the new pitch was cutting up.

#7 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 17,720 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:03 PM

leeds carnigie have announced they are playing a game at south leeds stadium against leinster in some sort of cup comp later this month .

as a matter of interest i was wondering if it would be the first time since 1895 that a rugby union game had been played at a hunslet home ground as i can not recall one been played before.

Rugby Union was played at Parkside during the second world war. If your interested I'll sort a few references out for you?.

#8 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Rugby Union was played at Parkside during the second world war. If your interested I'll sort a few references out for you?.

yes please.WWII seemed to bring both codes slightly closer it seems
The hour is getting late
FROM 2004,TO DO WHAT THIS CLUB HAS DONE,IF THATS NOT GREATNESSTHEN i DONT KNOW WHAT IS.

JAMIE PEACOCK

#9 brooza

brooza
  • 4,461 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:20 PM

yes please.WWII seemed to bring both codes slightly closer it seems

Tell that to the French!
St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#10 fieldofclothofgold

fieldofclothofgold
  • Coach
  • 5,865 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Tell that to the French!

Good point
The hour is getting late

JAMIE PEACOCK

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

If it is owned by the council then it is not Hunslet's ground.

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 05:56 PM

If it is owned by the council then it is not Hunslet's ground.

You know what I mean you pedantic sod!

Hunslet would get preference as anchor tennants. Leeds Rugby would have no say in the matter.

That better for you? ;)
Posted Image

#13 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

You wanna bet.

#14 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

You wanna bet.

Is that a question or a statement? What would we be betting on exactly?
Posted Image

#15 keighley

keighley
  • Coach
  • 6,065 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:11 PM

Well, if Hunslet wouldn't play ball and postpone their fixture, Leeds could 1) Call in all their loan players making it difficult for Hunslet to field a team 2) Cancel any joint marketing initiatives 3) Contact Leeds council about bidding for Hunslet's lease to give them control of the stadium 4) Demand instant repayment for any other loans or assistance given to Hunslet for purchase of surplus academy players to make up Hunslet's squad or make a bid to the Hunslet management for their team and either close it down or run it as they see fit putting such fixture clashes out of the question.

Hey, business is business and the weak who sell their soul to solve their problems have to conform.

I don't think Hunslet would dare to stand up to Leeds. They are the low manon that particular totem pole.

We will only know for sure when such a situation occurs but that's my inkling that Hunslet would cave in. They have too much to lose in opposing Leeds' wishes

#16 Lobbygobbler

Lobbygobbler
  • Coach
  • 5,829 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 07:31 PM

also what is the capacity of the ground these days as i can see the union mob been banished there a number of times this and next season

As the rules were the same for a while the 1895 figure is incorrect.

#17 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

seems its a statement from a clearly clued up member B)

#18 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,311 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

Well, if Hunslet wouldn't play ball and postpone their fixture, Leeds could 1) Call in all their loan players making it difficult for Hunslet to field a team 2) Cancel any joint marketing initiatives 3) Contact Leeds council about bidding for Hunslet's lease to give them control of the stadium 4) Demand instant repayment for any other loans or assistance given to Hunslet for purchase of surplus academy players to make up Hunslet's squad or make a bid to the Hunslet management for their team and either close it down or run it as they see fit putting such fixture clashes out of the question.

Hey, business is business and the weak who sell their soul to solve their problems have to conform.

I don't think Hunslet would dare to stand up to Leeds. They are the low manon that particular totem pole.

We will only know for sure when such a situation occurs but that's my inkling that Hunslet would cave in. They have too much to lose in opposing Leeds' wishes

Ah, so a completely made up situation with completely made up consequences then. I see.

Hunslet's fixtures are already arranged and have been for months. Focus your doom-mongering elsewhere mate, its looking pretty desperate here.
Posted Image

#19 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

this was a genuine question and not a poke at hunslet i am interested as i have not heard of union been played at parkside before and that would be good to hear about as i did a bit of research into rugby union been played at the barley mow back in the 1920s and with headingley of course stageing union games during the war it seems all the leeds based clubs have hosted union in the past .

as for all the other stuff about who has first call on the south leeds stadium i would have thought hunslet would have first call as part of a lease agreement with the council but of course the council will rent out the ground on other days as i have seen many different sports played on the pitch over the years from gaelic football to some stange asian form of tag

Edited by southstand loiner, 10 January 2013 - 10:20 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#20 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,614 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

this was a genuine question and not a poke at hunslet i am interested as i have not heard of union been played at parkside before and that would be good to hear about as i did a bit of research into rugby union been played at the barley mow back in the 1920s and with headingley of course stageing union games during the war it seems all the leeds based clubs have hosted union in the past .

as for all the other stuff about who has first call on the south leeds stadium i would have thought hunslet would have first call as part of a lease agreement with the council but of course the council will rent out the ground on other days as i have seen many different sports played on the pitch over the years from gaelic football to some stange asian form of tag

Kabaddi?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users