#21 HappyDave

HappyDave
  • Coach
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:31 AM

Kabaddi?

Isn't Kabaddi full-contact? ;)

Keighley's posts send me to sleep...
"I've never seen a woman with hairy ears... And I've been to St Helens" - John Bishop

#22 brooza

brooza
  • 4,211 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:47 AM

Kabaddi?

bless you

St Albans Centurions 1st Team Manager. Former Medway Dragons Wheelchair RL player.

Leeds Rhinos, St Albans Centurions y Griffons Madrid fan. Also follow (to a lesser extent) Catalans Dragons, London Broncos, South Sydney Rabbitohs, Jacksonville Axemen, Vrchlabi Mad Squirrels, KĂžbenhavn Black Swans, Red Star Belgrade and North Hertfordshire Crusaders.

Moderator of the International board

#23 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:28 PM

bless you

Arsenal.

#24 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,742 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

this was a genuine question and not a poke at hunslet i am interested as i have not heard of union been played at parkside before and that would be good to hear about as i did a bit of research into rugby union been played at the barley mow back in the 1920s and with headingley of course stageing union games during the war it seems all the leeds based clubs have hosted union in the past .

I didn't take it as a poke at Hunslet? Anyway Hunslet Engine Company RUFC played at Parkside during the war,. It was run by Aubrey Casewell a very well known rugby administrator who I think had many years at the leeds and district amateur RL.

Hunslet signed Freddie Williamson and Don Burnell from the club. In the war the union/league divide was forgoten, but I suspect the two lads were Rugby League players anyway. Freddie was a boxer even though he had a bad hand from a work accident.

In 1942 Parkside was available because Hunslet could not get a team nor "A" team, so the Engine Company Union club were able to use it. It would seem that due to a dearth of players for both codes the Engine company contained the best of both codes local lads probably in reserved occupations and not therefore called up.

The very best Hunslet professional stars still around played for Leeds, and two played in the league.v.Union challenge match at Odsal. By 1943 Hunslet could again raise a side, hence Parkside was not available to the Engine company, and they moved out of parkside, I do not know exactly wether they were a manifestation of the break in hostilities between the codes and the "mixed code" side for south Leeds during the war.

Strange times, sadly in 1945 both codes went back behind the barricades. The "war" was not over as regards Rugby.

#25 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:38 PM

Tell that to the French!

Still not got their money back that th French RU nicked

#26 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Kabaddi?

yep thats the one . strange sort of game but held my attention longer than a game of rugby union

Edited by southstand loiner, 12 January 2013 - 07:48 PM.

ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

#27 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:57 PM

I didn't take it as a poke at Hunslet? Anyway Hunslet Engine Company RUFC played at Parkside during the war,. It was run by Aubrey Casewell a very well known rugby administrator who I think had many years at the leeds and district amateur RL.

Hunslet signed Freddie Williamson and Don Burnell from the club. In the war the union/league divide was forgoten, but I suspect the two lads were Rugby League players anyway. Freddie was a boxer even though he had a bad hand from a work accident.

In 1942 Parkside was available because Hunslet could not get a team nor "A" team, so the Engine Company Union club were able to use it. It would seem that due to a dearth of players for both codes the Engine company contained the best of both codes local lads probably in reserved occupations and not therefore called up.

The very best Hunslet professional stars still around played for Leeds, and two played in the league.v.Union challenge match at Odsal. By 1943 Hunslet could again raise a side, hence Parkside was not available to the Engine company, and they moved out of parkside, I do not know exactly wether they were a manifestation of the break in hostilities between the codes and the "mixed code" side for south Leeds during the war.

Strange times, sadly in 1945 both codes went back behind the barricades. The "war" was not over as regards Rugby.

many thanks for that very interesting will keep it in my files if you dont mind in case i get any other references to it while looking throught the old micro film in leeds libary.
by the way i came across references to bramley old boys rugby union playing at the barley mow in the 1920s so they could take advantage of the gate money they could charge at the ground.
strangely the yorkshire rugby union took no action against them for this but at a meeting held the same year refused wakefield permission to play a game at harrogate against new zealand in aid of hospital charities . seems a case of 2 faced to me

#28 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 8,894 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

this was a genuine question and not a poke at hunslet i am interested as i have not heard of union been played at parkside before and that would be good to hear about as i did a bit of research into rugby union been played at the barley mow back in the 1920s and with headingley of course stageing union games during the war it seems all the leeds based clubs have hosted union in the past .

i would guess that RU had been played at Elland Rd sometime, at Mount Pleasant in the distant past and didn't Hunslet also play at McClaren Field where, as the Barley Mow RU was also played?
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#29 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,222 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:18 PM

yep thats the one . strange sort of game but held my attention longer than a game of rugby union

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16611263

#30 Pie tries

Pie tries
  • Coach
  • 430 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

Hope they don't ruin the pitch

#31 Trojan

Trojan
  • Coach
  • 14,885 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

as for all the other stuff about who has first call on the south leeds stadium i would have thought hunslet would have first call as part of a lease agreement with the council but of course the council will rent out the ground on other days as i have seen many different sports played on the pitch over the years from gaelic football to some stange asian form of tag

I believe that the NU clubs did make their grounds available for RU games up to and including WWI. It was the RFU that banned them some time in the twenties. I believe there are references to it in Tony Collins "A Social History of English Rugby Union"
"Your a one trick pony Trojan" - Parksider 10th March 2013

#32 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,660 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hunslet will get preference. Its their ground.

Rhinos would have no say as it is owned by the council anyway.

Will the Rhinos pay to have the South Leeds ground re-surfaced every season ? "NO"

Have the Rhinos used their higher status and loanees as bait to preserve the Headingley pitch "YES"

Who will get the RFU funding Rhinos or Hawks

With all the give and take who will be getting the best long term deal.
Carlsberg don't do Soldiers, but if they did, they would probably be Brits.

http://www.pitchero....hornemarauders/

#33 HK Hawk

HK Hawk
  • Players
  • 76 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:49 PM

Will the Rhinos pay to have the South Leeds ground re-surfaced every season ? "NO"

Have the Rhinos used their higher status and loanees as bait to preserve the Headingley pitch "YES"

Who will get the RFU funding Rhinos or Hawks

With all the give and take who will be getting the best long term deal.

It's a council owned ground. In theory, anyone can play there provided the pitch is available and they pay the going rate. Hunslet don't have exclusive use. Any deal to use the pitch will be between Leeds CC and Leeds RU. It has nothing to do with Hunslet.

#34 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,660 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:17 AM

It's a council owned ground. In theory, anyone can play there provided the pitch is available and they pay the going rate. Hunslet don't have exclusive use. Any deal to use the pitch will be between Leeds CC and Leeds RU. It has nothing to do with Hunslet.

Stop trying to put a gloss on it, Rhinos are taking the ###### and IMO are overstepping the dual reg agreement - You can use our training ground and physio but we are going to send the union arm of the Leeds football club down to Fukc your pitch up but we will be getting the RFU money in our bank, yer OK.

Big brother bullying in my eyes.

Edited by Marauder, 13 January 2013 - 12:18 AM.

#35 The Parksider

The Parksider
  • Coach
  • 16,742 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:12 AM

many thanks for that very interesting will keep it in my files if you dont mind in case i get any other references to it while looking throught the old micro film in leeds libary.
by the way i came across references to bramley old boys rugby union playing at the barley mow in the 1920s so they could take advantage of the gate money they could charge at the ground.
strangely the yorkshire rugby union took no action against them for this but at a meeting held the same year refused wakefield permission to play a game at harrogate against new zealand in aid of hospital charities . seems a case of 2 faced to me

The animosity in the north was much lesser in the south, and I guess each situation was different depending on the officials and their mood. The idea all northern RU people were against League because southerners said they had to be is of course as we can see not reality.

If you go back far enough you can trace the old Leeds RUFC playing a season or two at Elland Road before Holbeck IIRC, probably as Yorkshire Wanderers.

At/near the end of hostilities Milford arranged a dual code game against a local club (West Park?) YRU said NO to that which was incredibly mean and nasty

#36 Marauder

Marauder
  • Coach
  • 11,660 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:47 AM

The animosity in the north was much lesser in the south, and I guess each situation was different depending on the officials and their mood. The idea all northern RU people were against League because southerners said they had to be is of course as we can see not reality.

If you go back far enough you can trace the old Leeds RUFC playing a season or two at Elland Road before Holbeck IIRC, probably as Yorkshire Wanderers.

At/near the end of hostilities Milford arranged a dual code game against a local club (West Park?) YRU said NO to that which was incredibly mean and nasty

Yer but this is not about who wondered where trying to find a home, it's about the Rhinos off loading a union club from messing up headingley

#37 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,111 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:05 PM

Frankly,you are utterly clueless Marauder.Anyway,don't let the facts get in the way of your bigotry.

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 39,806 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:55 PM

don't forget that the breakaway only meant a change of governing body.

Therefore all the clubs involved in it and some after continued to play rugby union after 1895
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#39 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:16 PM

don't forget that the breakaway only meant a change of governing body.

Therefore all the clubs involved in it and some after continued to play rugby union after 1895

while the rules did not change to start with our game was called norhern rugby union i belive and its more about the rival codes i am trying to get to .
i know of the ban on rugby union clubs having any contact with northern union/rugby league other than in the armed forces during the war years until recent years. so of interest to me is really the contacts that were indeed made between union clubs and our game which would have been against rugby union rules in place at the time

for instance had there been any rugby union games played at post office road before 1995 but after 1895 or indeed any rugby league games held at the rugby union grounds in the area . i know its nothing to do that has nothing to do with hunslet but its expanding on it to a degree .

i have come across several instances across the north of england and itsjust a harmless little subject that interests me

Edited by southstand loiner, 13 January 2013 - 03:23 PM.

#40 suzzy

suzzy
  • Coach
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

Well, if Hunslet wouldn't play ball and postpone their fixture, Leeds could 1) Call in all their loan players making it difficult for Hunslet to field a team 2) Cancel any joint marketing initiatives 3) Contact Leeds council about bidding for Hunslet's lease to give them control of the stadium 4) Demand instant repayment for any other loans or assistance given to Hunslet for purchase of surplus academy players to make up Hunslet's squad or make a bid to the Hunslet management for their team and either close it down or run it as they see fit putting such fixture clashes out of the question.

Hey, business is business and the weak who sell their soul to solve their problems have to conform.

I don't think Hunslet would dare to stand up to Leeds. They are the low manon that particular totem pole.

We will only know for sure when such a situation occurs but that's my inkling that Hunslet would cave in. They have too much to lose in opposing Leeds' wishes

your talking out of your assssssssss keithley
chappy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users