Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Sinfield helps inspire stars of the future

RFL media release

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:42 PM

England and Leeds Rhinos captain Kevin Sinfield has shown his support for the next generation of Super League stars by taking part in an educational workshop delivered to young professionals at the John Smith’s Stadium in Huddersfield.

Sinfield delivered one of the keynote speeches as part of the Professional Players’ Continuation Programme (PPCP), a course held specifically for players aged 17 and 18 who signed their first professional playing contract in 2011. The course aims to educate the players about life as a professional sportsman and equip them with the tools they need to help them progress in their career and avoid potential pitfalls.

“It’s a full-on day for the young lads but I think it’s a great idea to provide them with all the support,” said Sinfield. “I thought all the workshops were very relevant to what the players may well experience in the future. I wish it had been in place when I was 17 as I think it’s really useful and provides information away from the on-field activity which is really important these days.

“I gave them an insight into what it’s really like to be a full-time sports professional and a first team player in Super League. It was more about what to expect and the mental side of the game rather than about the playing side. I think it was well received and I hope the players got something out of it.”

The first part of the course was held in 2011 when the players were put through cardiac screening tests and educated about setting goals, the dangers of drugs and alcohol, use of social media and budgeting and financial planning.

The second part of the PPCP course saw 100 players in attendance and engaged the youngsters in several workshops, some of which were run by players past and present. Widnes player Jon Clarke delivered a session about behaviour off the field, former Huddersfield Giants coach Jon Sharp held a workshop about gambling and integrity and ex-Salford City Reds player Paul Highton spoke about Sporting Chance.

Other workshops held on the day included information on sexual health and sleeping patterns.

RFL Operations Director Emma Rosewarne said: “The course aims to equip the game’s young players with the information and skills needed to be a professional Rugby League player. It’s important that young players receive as much advice and education on the life of a professional player as we can provide them with to help them over the coming years.”
-ends-

Hannah Molloy
Media Assistant

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#2 southstand loiner

southstand loiner
  • Coach
  • 2,657 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

please note this is not a leeds rhinos press release
ah a sunday night in front of the telly watching old rugby league games.
does life get any better .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users