Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

"Major announcement on Friday"?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:07 PM

Mark and Craig are no mugs they will know the full extent of the deal and they will also know the alternatives. They wouldn't sign a deal without taking everything into account I'm sure of that. Instead of fans of other clubs trying to knock them or Faisal you should be praising them because i only see RL dying outside of SL in the not so distant future. At least they are trying to get out of this rut which is called the championship. And I for one am very grateful to them for that.

Yet clubs continue to turn a profit in the Championship .......
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#22 thundergaz

thundergaz
  • Coach
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:12 PM

Yet clubs continue to turn a profit in the Championship .......

Yeah but do them clubs really want/ afford SL tho Richie? You ever thought about that. You have to lose money to get into SL that's a fact just look at the teams that have been promoted their sugar daddy's throwing money at them to get them out of the champ.

#23 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:20 PM

Yeah but do them clubs really want/ afford SL tho Richie? You ever thought about that. You have to lose money to get into SL that's a fact just look at the teams that have been promoted their sugar daddy's throwing money at them to get them out of the champ.

No, they can't. But if they're turning a profit and can't afford $uperleague, how can a club that's making a loss ? :blink:

Not many big backers stay forever. Widnes are up for sale now - if you can believe anything you read in the Sun, obviously.

#24 GAZ1983

GAZ1983
  • Coach
  • 921 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:20 PM

Mark and Craig are no mugs they will know the full extent of the deal and they will also know the alternatives. They wouldn't sign a deal without taking everything into account I'm sure of that. Instead of fans of other clubs trying to knock them or Faisal you should be praising them because i only see RL dying outside of SL in the not so distant future. At least they are trying to get out of this rut which is called the championship. And I for one am very grateful to them for that.

100% correct...time the green -eyed monster went back under the rock ;) ..getting tiresome

#25 Steve Slater

Steve Slater
  • Coach
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Likewise Rovers' success in the Championship won't last forever. If there's nowhere to go the year-on-year growth in crowd figures would eventually stall then fall into decline. On this rate of gradual improvement they will be ideally placed for the next round of licences, but if they get it offered before that it could do more harm than good, yet if they turned the offer down, the chance might not come again.

#26 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:37 PM

Just one or two points. I see the 7 figure sum has become a 6 figure sum. Will 'the consortium' be ruling the club or are we looking at a new board of directors. These 'proven' business men are presumably from outside the club. Lots of loose ends still to tie up. We need the full facts.

#27 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:46 PM

Yes - it's a subtle difference but, if I'm a shareholder in Land Ltd, which owns a plot of land, I don't own the land. I can't sell my bit of the land that Land Ltd owns. The directors choose whether or not to sell Land Ltd's land - at which point my shares may be worth more - should I decide to sell (and can find a buyer - which is often a sticking point) or, of course, if the company is closed down.

Value of the shares ? Is that relevant ?

You would of course have to have a shareholders meeting and a vote in favour before any sale. A lot depends on the constitution of the company. For instance as I said before if Feisal is now the major 'B' shareholder he can appoint his own board. I think softly softly, with an eye on the land..

#28 sidnee

sidnee
  • Coach
  • 3,964 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

http://www.featherst...le.php?id=10205
The weak conform, the strong survive.

#29 frankj

frankj
  • Coach
  • 406 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Just one or two points. I see the 7 figure sum has become a 6 figure sum. Will 'the consortium' be ruling the club or are we looking at a new board of directors. These 'proven' business men are presumably from outside the club. Lots of loose ends still to tie up. We need the full facts.

Let's remember that £999,999 is a 6 figure sum, just as £100,000 is. Even if these people are putting in £100,000, it is £100,000 that we didn't have yesterday. I hope the bulk of whatever amount it is goes on ground and youth development - investment for the future. Currently the team can look after itself (more or less)

#30 Rarefrith

Rarefrith
  • Coach
  • 548 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:06 PM

The statement reads multiple six figure sums!!

I trust the board on this, they have done amazing work for the club over the last 5 years. Feisal will obviously make something out of this in return where the land is involved i would imagine but if it benefits him and more importantly the club in the long run then its great news. This sort of investment is unbelievable at our level of rugby.

Meanwhile at Cas they are struggling to get the friendly on cos power cables have been nicked....

#31 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:10 PM

The statement reads multiple six figure sums!!

I trust the board on this, they have done amazing work for the club over the last 5 years. Feisal will obviously make something out of this in return where the land is involved i would imagine but if it benefits him and more importantly the club in the long run then its great news. This sort of investment is unbelievable at our level of rugby.

Meanwhile at Cas they are struggling to get the friendly on cos power cables have been nicked....

I thought it said SEVERAL hundred thousand pounds. This means more than 2 but not a lot more. Still a good investment but look out for the curly bits.

#32 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

I thought it said SEVERAL hundred thousand pounds. This means more than 2 but not a lot more. Still a good investment but look out for the curly bits.

I stand corrected it says several in the newspaper and multiple in the statement. It also states we are going to maximize the use of 17 acres. Remember my caution in this field.

#33 jamescolin

jamescolin
  • Coach
  • 3,192 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:59 PM

I stand corrected it says several in the newspaper and multiple in the statement. It also states we are going to maximize the use of 17 acres. Remember my caution in this field.

Just keep in mind that 17 acres with planning is worth anything from 8 to 10 million.

#34 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:30 PM

No, they can't. But if they're turning a profit and can't afford $uperleague, how can a club that's making a loss ? :blink:

Not many big backers stay forever. Widnes are up for sale now - if you can believe anything you read in the Sun, obviously.

And why do you think we are making a loss ? because we are investing in our facilities so that we can in the longer term grow revenue streams. The losses we are making are nothing compare to the return they will show, for instance do you think 20 hospitality boxes grow on trees, or demolishing Scarborough grown cost pence. What we are doing at rovers is phenomenal end of......News stands and hospitality, extending pitch to host more matches, keeping a winning team on the pitch, full youth structure, producing SL standard players.

So your rather poor over simplification is rather weak. I mean when people like tescos want to expand it cost them money new store, land recruitment etc etc but it is a necessary price of success

Edited by petesmithfan, 11 January 2013 - 09:34 PM.

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#35 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,836 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:57 PM

Just keep in mind that 17 acres with planning is worth anything from 8 to 10 million.

Im pretty certain Mark wont need reminding of that

#36 exiled rover

exiled rover
  • Players
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:28 PM

I am very proud of our club. I think the way that our recent success has been achieved is just as admirable as the success itself. That right way of doing things permeates the whole club from Mark to Craig & on to Daryl and the players. The community & player pathways are testament to this.

I have no idea what the outcome of the recent investment will be. However, I do know that we are in for some exciting times & I believe it will be one heck of a journey. I also know that we are in the best shape we have been in for as long as I can remember, due to the hard work of a whole host of people associated with the club & that is even before the recent investment. It certainly is a fantastic time to be a Rover.

The track record of the team running the club gives me every confidence that they genuinely have the best interests of the Rovers at heart and I honestly believe that they will continue to do the right things in the right way.

It is natural for people to have questions & I'm sure they will be answered in due course but I for one trust the custodians of the club to take us forward and would ask people to be patient & give the whole club their support rather than seeing conspiracies that just are not there.

Whether we will get to be a top 6 side in Superleague I have no idea but it looks like it is going to be fun trying to get there. Lets enjoy the ride!

#37 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,804 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:59 AM

And why do you think we are making a loss ? because we are investing in our facilities so that we can in the longer term grow revenue streams. The losses we are making are nothing compare to the return they will show, for instance do you think 20 hospitality boxes grow on trees, or demolishing Scarborough grown cost pence. What we are doing at rovers is phenomenal end of......News stands and hospitality, extending pitch to host more matches, keeping a winning team on the pitch, full youth structure, producing SL standard players.

So your rather poor over simplification is rather weak. I mean when people like tescos want to expand it cost them money new store, land recruitment etc etc but it is a necessary price of success

"Investing" in land, buildings and the like isn't written off in the year that the expenditure is made. It's spread over a number of years.

Source - Accounting policies in 2011 accounts

#38 petesmithfan

petesmithfan
  • Coach
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

I am very proud of our club. I think the way that our recent success has been achieved is just as admirable as the success itself. That right way of doing things permeates the whole club from Mark to Craig & on to Daryl and the players. The community & player pathways are testament to this.

I have no idea what the outcome of the recent investment will be. However, I do know that we are in for some exciting times & I believe it will be one heck of a journey. I also know that we are in the best shape we have been in for as long as I can remember, due to the hard work of a whole host of people associated with the club & that is even before the recent investment. It certainly is a fantastic time to be a Rover.

The track record of the team running the club gives me every confidence that they genuinely have the best interests of the Rovers at heart and I honestly believe that they will continue to do the right things in the right way.

It is natural for people to have questions & I'm sure they will be answered in due course but I for one trust the custodians of the club to take us forward and would ask people to be patient & give the whole club their support rather than seeing conspiracies that just are not there.

Whether we will get to be a top 6 side in Superleague I have no idea but it looks like it is going to be fun trying to get there. Lets enjoy the ride!

good post

VIVA THE FEVOLUTION

#39 oldrover

oldrover
  • Coach
  • 6,086 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:45 AM

"Investing" in land, buildings and the like isn't written off in the year that the expenditure is made. It's spread over a number of years.

Source - Accounting policies in 2011 accounts

what would we do without you.
:rolleyes:
joe mullaney is a god
the only good tiger is a stuffed tiger

Posted Image

#40 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,665 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Sorry if I sounded like I was urinating on your parade, but this guy has history and I like Fev as a club and we had our assets ripped away late 80's by a white knight, plus you have a some top fans in Robin and his motley crew who are always willing to look after Frank and buy him ale..