Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

National cup

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:07 AM

With the recent demise of the Barla national cup at open age just want to know people's thoughts as to why this once prestigious competition is no longer thought attractive to amateur clubs.
For me the game needs a national amateur cup competition to pitch the pub sides against the perceived big boys in this case the NCL clubs. We should put the politics to one side and work together to find space in the calendar to reignite the passion back into the game or is it that the big boys don't want to be knocked off their pedestal ?

#2 maxwel

maxwel
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:42 AM

Morning Taxi, i don't think that its because the big boys as you call them don't want to be knocked off their pedestal but NCL matches can not be postponed to facilitate entrance into the National cup.
Its nice to be important, but never forget its important to be nice!!!

#3 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

It's the wrong season.

#4 carlos

carlos
  • Coach
  • 417 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:39 PM

Demise? Draw is on 20th unless theres been a big change in last couple of days.

EDIT - just read post on other thread re 20 teams entering. Poor do.

Edited by carlos, 11 January 2013 - 12:41 PM.

#5 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

With the recent demise of the Barla national cup at open age just want to know people's thoughts as to why this once prestigious competition is no longer thought attractive to amateur clubs.
For me the game needs a national amateur cup competition to pitch the pub sides against the perceived big boys in this case the NCL clubs. We should put the politics to one side and work together to find space in the calendar to reignite the passion back into the game or is it that the big boys don't want to be knocked off their pedestal ?

My experience of the National Cup - as an NCL team - is that we were just fed up of drawing a "pub side" as you call them (rather than non-NCL), playing on a poor quality school pitch somewhere, with a local, usually poor, referee, who could just about keep up with the "pub side". The holding down rule never applied and, more often than not, the "perceived big boys" were never allowed to play their type of game which would, under normal circumstances, annihalate the opposition. Also, NCL sides normally just want to play rugby - but when the "pub side" draw a "perceived big boys" team, they just wanted to fight. There were, of course, the odd exceptions when we would draw a decent non-NCL side with equally good facilities and who were, on that day, better than us! :)

In addition - we never wanted to be unlucky enough to draw Fryston or Queens :D :D

Edited by jaguar, 11 January 2013 - 12:50 PM.

#6 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

Bowes what part of " lets put aside the politics and work together " do you not grasp ?

Going off your point then no amatuer club should enter the Challenge cup because that starts in the " wrong season " as well .

#7 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Morning Taxi, i don't think that its because the big boys as you call them don't want to be knocked off their pedestal but NCL matches can not be postponed to facilitate entrance into the National cup.

Why not Steve or have you all abondoned your roots , perhaps you should remove all the Barla shirts off the walls in the Miners ,think people are forgetting where they came from.

My point is we need a properly run national Cup and I take your point Jaguar but are you saying there are no dirty players or teams in the NCL leagues ?

#8 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:15 PM

Why not Steve or have you all abondoned your roots , perhaps you should remove all the Barla shirts off the walls in the Miners ,think people are forgetting where they came from.

My point is we need a properly run national Cup and I take your point Jaguar but are you saying there are no dirty players or teams in the NCL leagues ?

Oh, there are the occasional dirty players - but we have a better discipline system and much fitter referees/touchjudges who usually catch them! I don't think there are any dirty teams in the NCL: there is the odd one or two relative newcomes who haven't yet grasped the standard of discipline required - but they soon learn after the amount of players they lose on suspensions and the amount of fines they have to pay.

An NCL team only has to play a couple of games in other leagues, and they soon know the standard they prefer.

With regards the BARLA shirts - a very large majority of the players who have represented BARLA and gone on tour have usually done so from an NCL club who could afford to send sometimes up to 4 players overseas (like Wath Brow)! The National Cup has nothing to do with your "roots" - but is now an outdated and obviously unwanted competition that many clubs aren't interested in anymore. If it was, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I won't ever forget my roots, but I have moved on now to something that BARLA couldn't give me. All of our kids teams play within a BARLA structure and most enter the National Cup - but when they get to open age they will choose the level (depending on their ability) that they want to play at.

#9 maxwel

maxwel
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:27 PM

How could we have forgotten or abandoned our roots Mick we are in the National Cup?. With regards to the shirts in the Miners they represent many individuals who have toured with BARLA and been proud to do so, taking them down will never be an option. As the saying goes wear the shirt with pride and that is what they all did.

#10 Dwain Pipe

Dwain Pipe
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

Oh, there are the occasional dirty players - but we have a better discipline system and much fitter referees/touchjudges who usually catch them! I don't think there are any dirty teams in the NCL: there is the odd one or two relative newcomes who haven't yet grasped the standard of discipline required - but they soon learn after the amount of players they lose on suspensions and the amount of fines they have to pay.

An NCL team only has to play a couple of games in other leagues, and they soon know the standard they prefer.

With regards the BARLA shirts - a very large majority of the players who have represented BARLA and gone on tour have usually done so from an NCL club who could afford to send sometimes up to 4 players overseas (like Wath Brow)! The National Cup has nothing to do with your "roots" - but is now an outdated and obviously unwanted competition that many clubs aren't interested in anymore. If it was, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I won't ever forget my roots, but I have moved on now to something that BARLA couldn't give me. All of our kids teams play within a BARLA structure and most enter the National Cup - but when they get to open age they will choose the level (depending on their ability) that they want to play at.

#11 Dwain Pipe

Dwain Pipe
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:05 PM

Wath Brow only "afford" to send players because the whole club fundraises tirelessly when lads are selected. The club itself would never be able to afford it otherwise. A few stalwart members work very very hard on a seperate tour fund committe. We most definately are not wealthy!!

#12 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:17 PM

Wath Brow only "afford" to send players because the whole club fundraises tirelessly when lads are selected. The club itself would never be able to afford it otherwise. A few stalwart members work very very hard on a seperate tour fund committe. We most definately are not wealthy!!

You misunderstand me Dwain. There was certainly no disrespect to Wath Brow - quite the opposite. Because you have the type of club and community that you have is exactly why you (and many others) can afford to send selected players away on tour to represent their Club, County or Country. I was referring to the suggestion that Taxi Egg thought Leigh Miners should take their BARLA shirts off the wall because they don't enter the National Cup and may have 'abandoned their roots'. BARLA shirts have nothing to do with the National Cup - they represent a lot of NCL players whose Clubs have raised the large amount of money to give their players the opportunity of a lifetime. I'm sure that none of those players who have shirts on their clubhouse walls will forget their roots - and they don't need the National Cup to remind them.

#13 Wilber

Wilber
  • Coach
  • 128 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:21 PM

So if the National Cup was administered by the RFL with "Their" referees in the summer months of March to Novemeber? do you think then every NCL club would want to enter?

#14 Back In The Good Old Days

Back In The Good Old Days
  • Coach
  • 140 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:40 PM

There should be no politics in amateur sport.

#15 jaguar

jaguar
  • Players
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:41 PM

So if the National Cup was administered by the RFL with "Their" referees in the summer months of March to Novemeber? do you think then every NCL club would want to enter?

If they made allowances for it within the league programme, possibly. But now we've moved to summer, the NCL have their own Cup anyway.

#16 bowes

bowes
  • Coach
  • 10,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:45 PM

There should be no politics in amateur sport.

Amateurism in itself in arguably political. Ideally there shouldn't be the politics but in practice that means there's only one political view allowed.

#17 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:03 PM

Maxwell are you in the national cup because you believe in its ethos or just to get a couple of warm up games in ?

Edited by TaxiEgg, 11 January 2013 - 11:03 PM.

#18 maxwel

maxwel
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 10:16 AM

Probably both mate to be honest. We still have other warm up games scheduled the first being on the 16th Feb. at miners will you be able to make it?

#19 TaxiEgg

TaxiEgg
  • Coach
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

Is that an invite to a freebie Steve thats a first ,rumour has it your pockets are deeper than the old mineshaft at Plank Lane Pit ?

#20 maxwel

maxwel
  • Coach
  • 1,204 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 03:54 PM

Very comical that pal, but so untrue. I can and will spend Mick (my money) , as and well i think fit. Do you know what Mick i think i could possibly move to give you a freebie on this occasion and i will pay your entrance. :D :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users