Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

MPs call for '32% salary increase'

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,693 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

MPs call for '32% salary increase'... in the same week they voted through a 1% cap on benefits for the poor.

What planet do these people inhabit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-20978487

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

#2 RidingPie

RidingPie
  • Coach
  • 1,220 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:11 AM

Lets be honest. If we all voted on our salaries we'd always vote for a pay rise as well. In this instance it is in severely bad taste with what they are enforcing on the rest of us.

#3 gazza77

gazza77
  • Coach
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:17 AM

I'll happily accept a 32% increase. :D

Oh wait, they mean for themselves. :o :rolleyes:

"Featherstone outside the Super League is like Rooney, Ronaldo, Villa out of Euro 2012."

Please view my photos.

http://www.hughesphoto.co.uk/

Little Nook Farm - Caravan Club Certificated Location in the heart of the Pennines overlooking Hebden Bridge and the Calder Valley.

http://www.facebook.com/LittleNookFarm

#4 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,103 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:39 AM

Like many industries, they should really face the prospect of a pay cut. Many people in my industry (and others) have had to face this reality, why should these tosspots not face the same? Especially given their performance? Isn't it meant to be a fairly vocational job? Combined with their expenses, they are still on a good screw. They make me puke.

#5 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,304 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Not just a pay cut but complete compliance with the Inland Revenue rules on "wholly and exclusively" I STILL think they don'y get it on expenses. I have great admiration for what most MPs in all parties do for their constituents, for the various Parliamentary committees and so on. The majority of them though, especially those on the Tory extreme right and Labour extreme left can be arses of the highest order.

Edited by JohnM, 11 January 2013 - 12:08 PM.

#6 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,728 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:02 PM

Link the wages of MPs to those of non senior civil servants. They won't want to give the civil servants huge pay rises like the tempation for NHS or Teachers so this will control MPs wages to inflation or less.

#7 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:03 PM

Where will the additional £13.3 million per annum come from?

#8 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,695 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

MPs call for '32% salary increase'... in the same week they voted through a 1% cap on benefits for the poor.

What planet do these people inhabit?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-20978487

Life on Mars! :rolleyes:

Fanciful dreaming. What is rich is that they think they are hard done by.

#9 Bedford Roughyed

Bedford Roughyed
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

They were asked in a survey, which isn't quite the same as 'they have asked for an increase'.

In 2012 they voted for a pay freeze for this year. (3 years of 0% so far I think).
With the best, thats a good bit of PR, though I would say the Bedford team, theres, like, you know, 13 blokes who can get together at the weekend to have a game together, which doesnt point to expansion of the game. Point, yeah go on!

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,263 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:21 PM

They were asked in a survey, which isn't quite the same as 'they have asked for an increase'.

In 2012 they voted for a pay freeze for this year. (3 years of 0% so far I think).

Quite - in an anonymous survey they were asked what they thought would be a reasonable amount to be paid.

I doubt many people believe they are overpaid for the services they provide.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 Shadow

Shadow
  • Coach
  • 8,069 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:22 PM

Don't you come on here with facts when there's pitchforks and flaming torches being broken out :D
God Rides a Harley but the Devil rides a Ducati!

#12 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,766 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:28 PM

See? We are all in this together.

And doesn't he look miserable? :D

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#13 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:41 PM

Not just a pay cut but complete compliance with the Inland Revenue rules on "wholly and exclusively" I STILL think they don'y get it on expenses. I have great admiration for what most MPs in all parties do for their constituents, for the various Parliamentary committees and so on. The majority of them though, especially those on the Tory extreme right and Labour extreme left can be arses of the highest order.

+1

I think we've always been in agreement on this one John, there is a perfectly good expenses policy outlined by HMRC, if it's good enough for us plebs in aught to be good enough for them. It would save an absolute fortune in both payout and administration cost.
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#14 Griff9of13

Griff9of13
  • Coach
  • 5,874 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

An excellent response from Fleet Street Fox
"it is a well known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it."

#15 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:01 AM

An excellent response from Fleet Street Fox

I think it is fair to say that response reflect the majority's opinion.