Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

What is going on with Widnes?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 12:50 PM

http://www.thesun.co...-for-grabs.html

I really hoped that he would stay at Widnes for the long term. He seemed like a genuine guy and looked to be doing the right things.

Can we have a day of good news postings ?

#2 DeadShotKeen

DeadShotKeen
  • Coach
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:06 PM

Like with Hudgell's threat of last year it would be an odd time for him to bail. Good stadium and the first genuine crack at free agency with full cap or close to it. A general optimism on the terraces and in the pubs and clubs.

I don't think the league is doing enough to help these ambitious owners personally. It's not his fault that Leeds, Wigan etc. are already taken and we should want people like him at the "lesser" clubs. An expansion draft or at the very least some innovative help in attracting genuine stars to these clubs is the least they should expect for their significant investment. Would he be so frustrated and disgruntled if he'd been able to lure a Hohaia type star or 2 last year? I suspect not. And would Widnes be more watchable to the rest of us? Undoubtedly.

Again it comes down to the DNA of almost every SL-related thread on this forum - what is the vision for Super League? As an investor in a crumby club I'd want the RFL to throw me a bone or 2. No special favours - just a fair crack of the whip on the pitch.

Hope he rides it out. I'd also like to see him, Hudgell and their ilk apply more pressure on the RFL and be a positive force for change in the game.

Edited by DeadShotKeen, 11 January 2013 - 01:13 PM.

#3 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,892 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:08 PM

Dave 'Nosey' Parker has never written a true story in his life. He trawls message boards picking up rumours and regurgitates them as facts. I would call him a disgraceful journalist but that would imply he has some journalistic ability. Id take anything he writes with a very large pinch of salt.

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#4 Red Willow

Red Willow
  • Coach
  • 4,698 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Bit like Neil barker at the MEN, he is too lazy to trawl and just visits the turkey.

Glad there is little in this as O'Connor seems the sort of person we need to keep.

#5 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:16 PM

It's in the Sun.

So what ?
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#6 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,304 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 01:53 PM

Dave Parker and The Sun. What a dream team...
Posted Image

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:38 PM

Dave Parker and The Sun. What a dream team...

:lol:

#8 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

Bit like Neil barker at the MEN, he is too lazy to trawl and just visits the turkey.

Glad there is little in this as O'Connor seems the sort of person we need to keep.

Bit of a mixed metaphor there .... :wacko:

Do we know "there is little in this" ? :huh:

#9 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

With all due respect I recall Steve O'Connor making a statement that Widnes needed to be self sustaining over a month ago. To me that say's "I ain't putting any more money in", so why the shock and the automatic mockery of the article?

Edited by Ackroman, 11 January 2013 - 02:46 PM.

#10 Ackroman

Ackroman
  • Coach
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:45 PM

Like with Hudgell's threat of last year it would be an odd time for him to bail. Good stadium and the first genuine crack at free agency with full cap or close to it. A general optimism on the terraces and in the pubs and clubs.

I don't think the league is doing enough to help these ambitious owners personally. It's not his fault that Leeds, Wigan etc. are already taken and we should want people like him at the "lesser" clubs. An expansion draft or at the very least some innovative help in attracting genuine stars to these clubs is the least they should expect for their significant investment. Would he be so frustrated and disgruntled if he'd been able to lure a Hohaia type star or 2 last year? I suspect not. And would Widnes be more watchable to the rest of us? Undoubtedly.

Again it comes down to the DNA of almost every SL-related thread on this forum - what is the vision for Super League? As an investor in a crumby club I'd want the RFL to throw me a bone or 2. No special favours - just a fair crack of the whip on the pitch.

Hope he rides it out. I'd also like to see him, Hudgell and their ilk apply more pressure on the RFL and be a positive force for change in the game.

Surely his ambitions for Widnes would be a tad more realistic looking at SL from the Championship. Now in SL he'll realise how far off they are rather than having his ambitions capped because someone owns Wigan already.

#11 Amber Avenger

Amber Avenger
  • Coach
  • 5,738 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:47 PM

Dave 'Nosey' Parker has never written a true story in his life. He trawls message boards picking up rumours and regurgitates them as facts. I would call him a disgraceful journalist but that would imply he has some journalistic ability. Id take anything he writes with a very large pinch of salt.

He's also a fan of trawling the local newspapers and "borrowing" their news as his own - or at least used to be in the days before online was so massive. I remember an article in the old Leaguer where he was commenting on something Robbie Paul had supposedly said to a friend, when what he'd actually published is a word for word lift of a quote Robbie had given the Bradford T&A the week before.
SQL Honours
Play off mini league winner - 2002. Bronze Medalist - 2003. Big Split Group Winner - 2006. Minor Stupidship - 2005, 2006. Cup Silver Medalist - 2008, 2009
CHAMPION - 2005, 2009, 2010

#12 foozler

foozler
  • Coach
  • 969 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

The thing that caught my eye is the report of another sponsorship deal for the NRL, this time several million $'s for the official NRL bookie. The kind of money we can, it seems, only dream about getting into RL these days.

The Aussies obviously don't have such a problem with gambling sponsorship, why are we so precious about it up here? Can the sport really afford to be quite so picky in this day and age?

#13 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,752 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:04 PM

With all due respect I recall Steve O'Connor making a statement that Widnes needed to be self sustaining over a month ago. To me that say's "I ain't putting any more money in", so why the shock and the automatic mockery of the article?

Because it's in the Sun.

#14 TwoBlues

TwoBlues
  • Coach
  • 723 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:17 PM

Right from the start - http://www.express.c...fingers-crossed

and more recently another mention of self-sustaining from the latest CEO - http://www.widnesvik...cle.php?id=9491

#15 cookey

cookey
  • Coach
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

All Clubs need to be self sustaining.O'connor has cleared their debts,improved their facilities,provided infrastructure,its now down to their fans to turn up in numbers,to make themselves self financing.Unfortunately,even most of the larger Clubs only break even,if they get to either the Challenge Cup Final or the Grand Final.People love to criticise Leeds,but they essentially make a profit,even if they don't made a Final,because their off field entertaining/dining/corporate facilities are first rate and virtually always sold out.The new money apparently going in at KR and Featherstone,together with new grounds at Wakefield/Saints,need to ensure that Clubs are profitable,whether or not they make it to a Final.

#16 amh

amh
  • 11,085 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:34 PM

The panto the Giants WERE in according to DP, is not until Tues 15 Jan

FOS

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#17 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:37 PM

dave "nosey" parker + the s*n = ######

nothing in it what so ever..........

Edited by Viking Warrior, 11 January 2013 - 07:37 PM.

"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#18 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,111 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:40 PM

Right from the start - http://www.express.c...fingers-crossed

and more recently another mention of self-sustaining from the latest CEO - http://www.widnesvik...cle.php?id=9491

ns

steve was making the point that we need more bums on seats to be more self sufficient, something he stated the very day he took over the reins at the club. we need a projected 7000 stronghold members to ahcieve this........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#19 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:21 PM

One major signing - Kevin Brown
Betts for another two years

I'd ask what is going on at widnes!!

Will this really bring in more fans??

#20 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Spending money we haven't got in a bid to get more bums on seats isnt the answer......the fans need to get behind the club (SOC won't prop us up forever), only with more revenue (plus perhaps clearing some dead wood) can we afford better signings

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users