What is going on with Widnes?

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:48 PM

well said chuffer, we don't want a return to the ###### or bust days at widnes which ended in administration.......it's up to the people of the town to get behind the club and then we can generate the necessary income to sign more and better players.........
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:51 PM

One major signing - Kevin Brown
Betts for another two years

I'd ask what is going on at widnes!!

Will this really bring in more fans??

if brown (who should be a fairly cheap), improves them as he should, then yes it should bring in more fans

#23 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,454 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:09 AM

Spending money we haven't got in a bid to get more bums on seats isnt the answer......the fans need to get behind the club (SOC won't prop us up forever), only with more revenue (plus perhaps clearing some dead wood) can we afford better signings

I for one do think getting rid of the dead wood should've been number one priority.

well said chuffer, we don't want a return to the ###### or bust days at widnes which ended in administration.......it's up to the people of the town to get behind the club and then we can generate the necessary income to sign more and better players.........

100% agree VW. I understand what is happening at the club, youngsters are the future, some great prospects at Widnes.
The question is how long before they make the grade and are the fans patient enough to wait??

I wish you good luck and enjoy your season, you've only got us twice this season :P

if brown (who should be a fairly cheap), improves them as he should, then yes it should bring in more fans

Not sure ow brown would be cheap??

One player doesn't make a team, but you're right, brown will improve you.

The reason I'm surprised by one big signing only, is more due to widnes previously trying / offering a large contract to DL before he retired.

IMHO it's going to a long time for widnes to build on the crowds and the present squad will not bring the fans in..... Soc needs to bring another 1 or 2 in now.

My opinion...... Have a great season you chemics

Edited by 1976PMJwires, 12 January 2013 - 08:12 AM.

#24 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,657 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

Can't believe they've made Paul Hansbury redundant though.

If you're reading this, Paul, good luck to you in whatever you do in the future. ;)
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#25 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,081 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:15 AM

This is the problem with all sport, it is not a business. It's not even close to a business, if Widnes need 7000 fans to be self financing, that is only in the present climate. Once they hit 7000 fans, those 7000 are going to want to see an entertaining side to keep coming, which would require even more cash to be spent. Therefore upping the amount of fans to be needed to be self financing.

I'm not inclined to believe the story, but that is partially because I can't imagine that after only 1 year in SL, there would have been a plan for Widnes to be self financing or hitting halfway up the league.

If you look at Catalan as the best case senario, it took them 2 years of scrapping around at the bottom building a competitive side to really give it a go in their 3rd season.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#26 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:56 AM

thats the whole idea of licensing, allowing a club to build over 3 years rather than panic buys and going bust in an effort to avoid relegation like in the old days of p&r..............
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

#27 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:16 PM

thats the whole idea of licensing, allowing a club to build over 3 years rather than panic buys and going bust in an effort to avoid relegation like in the old days of p&r..............

Some deluded fans looking at Widnes message board and they love a moan. What are the expectations in terms of league finish?

#28 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:34 PM

I think most sane people would expect no more than second or third from bottom this year, then perhaps in year three we would hope to come close to the play offs

#29 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 02:05 PM

I think most sane people would expect no more than second or third from bottom this year, then perhaps in year three we would hope to come close to the play offs

It would be nice to see them do well but they need to strengthen but to do that need bums on seats

#30 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

i predict 10th, but anywhere higher than last season is an improvement.

Edited by Viking Warrior, 12 January 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#31 jonnyg28

jonnyg28
  • Coach
  • 678 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

i predict 10th, but anywhere higher than last season is an improvement.

What's the youth like coming through? Always had a load of local talent did Widnes

#32 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,040 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:52 PM

some good young prospects, like jack owens, alex gerrard, tom gilmore, grant gore all making their way into the first team squad, and of course danny craven is still quite young and made a great impact in his first super league season, and now we are in super league we will attract the local youngsters who have gone to our neighbours in recent years.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users