Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 401 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, full colour, in-depth coverage from the grassroots through to the international game.
Click here for the digital edition or just download the Rugby League World app from Apple Newsstand or Google Play now.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 401
/ View a Gallery of all our previous 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 401
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Exiles Game (Merged threads)

Warrington SL Europe media release

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

http://www.warringto...l_Origin_match/

England v Exiles to be played at the HJ Stadium on Friday 14th June, 8pm

As Gatcliffe says, good news for Warrington, I wonder whether we offer a really good deal to the RFL, as they do seem to like using the stadium.

This year we have the Exiles game, Championship Finals Day, plus 2 World Cup games. There is also always the possibility of a Challenge Cup Semi Final.

#2 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Back to one game then?

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#3 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 02:35 PM

Back to one game then?

I don't think it confirms that - this was purely from a Warrington point of view, but it'd make sense. The game will be a tougher sell after last year's disappointing games and the way they treated the 2nd game, maybe the one game, go all out to sell it at a reasonable price, make it an event and keep it on the calendar.

#4 Honor James

Honor James
  • Coach
  • 1,295 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:56 PM

http://www.totalrl.c...game-confirmed/

“The purpose of life is to live it, to taste experience to the utmost, to reach out eagerly and without fear for newer and richer experience.”  Eleanor Roosevelt

#5 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:19 PM

Disappointing that they state that this will be England's only competitive game prior to the World Cup opening game against Australia.

Surely a training camp overseas with a game in advance would have been advantageous?

#6 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,969 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:22 PM

I'm baffled by this to be honest. I thought people were broadly happy with a 2 game series and surely there needs to be a warm up match (v Cumbria for e.g.) before the World Cup itself?

Just bizarre.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#7 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,320 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:26 PM

I'm baffled by this to be honest. I thought people were broadly happy with a 2 game series and surely there needs to be a warm up match (v Cumbria for e.g.) before the World Cup itself?

Just bizarre.

TBH - last year showed that clubs and fans just hadn't bought into a two game series.

McNamara picked basically an England Knights team for the 2nd match, and the crowd numbers reflected that. I wonder if this was down to pressure from clubs around their players being over-used.

Agree on the warmup match.

#8 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 28,969 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:30 PM

TBH - last year showed that clubs and fans just hadn't bought into a two game series.

McNamara picked basically an England Knights team for the 2nd match, and the crowd numbers reflected that. I wonder if this was down to pressure from clubs around their players being over-used.

Fair enough. I don't really like the concept so I wasn't paying that much attention.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#9 Town Globetrotter

Town Globetrotter
  • Coach
  • 33 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:33 PM

Just bizarre.

Exactly, I've suggested this in previous posts on both here and Town's fan forum. Although if there is sufficient time between the SA camp and the Aussie WC opening fixture to scheduled a game, I wouldn't blame the RFL holding back an announcement of such a game until the two Derwent Park WC matches are close to sell-outs.

#10 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:24 PM

last years games lost a lot of money

#11 Hullfan

Hullfan
  • Coach
  • 687 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:35 PM

1game would be better 2 doesn't work

#12 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:45 PM

1 game is right at this stage. Maybe there could be room for a 2 game series next season and capitalise on the feelgood factor after England win the World Cup.

Not sure a full game before the WC is the right preparation either, maybe a 'probables v possibles' game of full contact behind closed doors would be better.
Posted Image

#13 ArmchairRhino

ArmchairRhino
  • Coach
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:52 PM

Think the last "Origin" format went 1 game, 2 games, 1 game from 2001-03...

Good size venue and there's sure to be Warrington representation on both sides so with a focus on the England side in World Cup year I'm sure we're looking at a good turnout here. Good choice.

The RFL press release posted elsewhere by Honor states that Exiles tickets go on sale the Monday after the WCC so there seems to be a bit of a plan there.

Edited by ArmchairRhino, 11 January 2013 - 05:55 PM.

There's no dignity in plastic seats

#14 Wellsy4HullFC

Wellsy4HullFC
  • Coach
  • 9,718 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:12 PM

Think the last "Origin" format went 1 game, 2 games, 1 game from 2001-03...

Good size venue and there's sure to be Warrington representation on both sides so with a focus on the England side in World Cup year I'm sure we're looking at a good turnout here. Good choice.

The RFL press release posted elsewhere by Honor states that Exiles tickets go on sale the Monday after the WCC so there seems to be a bit of a plan there.

I was thinking the same about it eerily mirroring the county origin games in 2001-2003. Exactly 10 years on!
Posted Image

#15 Mumby Magic

Mumby Magic
  • Coach
  • 3,155 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:06 PM

1game would be better 2 doesn't work

Agree but there is no consistancy. Chopping and changing as alway and not allowing the project to grow. Should have been one for a few years and really build it up. For me it should always be internationals.

Lilly, Jacob and Isaac, what my life is about. Although our route through life is not how it should be, I am a blessed man.

#16 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 19,835 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

I guess that this is possibly the best that could be fitted in, otherwise they would have done more. Id prefer to see a decent number of trial games, warm ups etc but it ain't that easy.

#17 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:45 PM

One game and do it well. Simple as.

#18 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,589 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

We have had three games and the Exiles won them all.
If England don't win this one the RFL have to seriously consider bringing in help for McNamara.
NZ had an inexperienced coach in Kearney for the last World Cup so they brought in Wayne Bennett to assist.
The same man assisting England and McNamara could go a long way to improving our fortunes in the World Cup.

#19 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,303 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

We have had three games and the Exiles won them all.

England beat Exiles 18-10 at Langtree Park in game 1 last season.
Posted Image

#20 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:41 PM

England beat Exiles 18-10 at Langtree Park in game 1 last season.

don't let facts get in the way, afterall magic man bennett finished 12th last season ;)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Warrington, SL Europe media release

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users