Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

David Bowie

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

For the love of God, can't he just give it a rest

Woeful singer
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#2 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:48 PM

Hasn't he just given it quite a long rest?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#3 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:50 PM

Hasn't he just given it quite a long rest?

not long enough no
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:34 PM

Why? If he has still got something to give, and people still want to listen to his work (and judging by the positive reaction to his new 'single' they still do), then he should carry on.
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

#5 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,093 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:23 PM

Why? If he has still got something to give, and people still want to listen to his work (and judging by the positive reaction to his new 'single' they still do), then he should carry on.

Well let him inflict himself on 'them' via any other medium than a public one.

In the OED it should have an entry for overrated which says David Bowie.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#6 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,174 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:57 PM

Never saw what all the fuss is about. Glad it's not just me that thinks him hugely over-rated.

#7 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 8,952 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:23 AM

Padge and Norther Sol bring some sanity into this world - THANK YOU!!

Posted Image

#8 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,939 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:36 AM

ghastly poser

with nothing to say, and what he does say is ####

it was downhill all the way after laughing gnome
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#9 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,107 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:54 AM

A musical innovator and trendsetter par excellence. He admittedly drew on the founding influences of the Velvet underground and the Detroit rock scene but developed a persona and music catalogue that was a major influence on thousands of young kids' musical tastes. His influence cannot be denied, whatever your personal opinion of his output.

For a ten year period he was brilliant. Every new album was keenly awaited by fans across a wide range-band. His post-nineties stuff is less relevant but, by the same retrospective appraisal, so is that of the Stones, McCartney, Clapton etc ... but loads of people still want to listen to it.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#10 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,939 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

A musical innovator and trendsetter par excellence. He admittedly drew on the founding influences of the Velvet underground and the Detroit rock scene but developed a persona and music catalogue that was a major influence on thousands of young kids' musical tastes. His influence cannot be denied, whatever your personal opinion of his output.

For a ten year period he was brilliant. Every new album was keenly awaited by fans across a wide range-band. His post-nineties stuff is less relevant but, by the same retrospective appraisal, so is that of the Stones, McCartney, Clapton etc ... but loads of people still want to listen to it.

he wasn't a 'trendsetter', he latched onto whatever was cool and 'arty' and took it from there. This went right back to The League Of Long men in the mid sixties, to getting involved with mime later in the decade. How was he 'relevant' in the first place? What was he relevant to?

Edited by l'angelo mysterioso, 12 January 2013 - 10:06 AM.

Keeping it local

#11 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,174 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:34 AM

I admit he was influential and very many people take him seriously. I just cannot understand why. I cannot see any particular talent.

#12 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,107 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:02 AM

. How was he 'relevant' in the first place? What was he relevant to?

He influenced the music, fashion and lifestyle of a generation that was ten years younger than you.

Every generation haas its icons.

If he wasn't "relevant", he wouldn't have sold millions of albums

#13 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,939 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:26 AM

He influenced the music, fashion and lifestyle of a generation that was ten years younger than you.

Every generation haas its icons.

If he wasn't "relevant", he wouldn't have sold millions of albums

he influenced the music fashion and lifestyle of a small minority of a generation.

David Bowie is older than me and I became aware of him in the 60s.

what was he relevant to?

Black Lace sold millions, does that make them 'relevant'?
Keeping it local

#14 Johnoco

Johnoco
  • Coach
  • 20,008 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:30 AM

I'm quite a big Bowie fan. His work with Mick Ronson was brilliant. I even like his early 'Anthony Newley' period.

Jamie Peacock is a fan too!

No I don't care if you're if you're into different bands

No cause for so much hatred, I'm just a different man

Pull off that cover, I will too, and learn to understand

With music deep inside we'll make world unity our plan

7 Seconds -Walk Together, Rock Together

#15 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,107 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:38 AM

Black Lace sold millions, does that make them 'relevant'?

Not as many as Bowie and next to none in the USA and Europe. I can't think of another band that's quoted them as a major influence.

They are perhaps still relevant in a Jimmy Savile-type sense. :ph34r:

If Bowie passed you by, fair enough. Amongst other things, I can't listen to most of the prog rock, Pink Floyd, rap music and house music outputs, but I can't deny that they have had influence and relevance.

#16 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,939 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

Not as many as Bowie and next to none in the USA and Europe. I can't think of another band that's quoted them as a major influence.

They are perhaps still relevant in a Jimmy Savile-type sense. :ph34r:

If Bowie passed you by, fair enough. Amongst other things, I can't listen to most of the prog rock, Pink Floyd, rap music and house music outputs, but I can't deny that they have had influence and relevance.

he didn't pass me by.

I just don'r rate him

you clearly do and that's just fine.
Keeping it local

#17 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,926 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:51 PM

Well, I quite liked his 70's and early 80's stuff and his backing band "The Spiders From Mars" were from Hull so he did have summat going for him.

So there.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#18 WearyRhino

WearyRhino
  • Coach
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:17 PM

Each to their own eh?

LUNEW.jpg

#19 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,464 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

Well, I quite liked his 70's and early 80's stuff and his backing band "The Spiders From Mars" were from Hull so he did have summat going for him.

So there.

The stuff he did with them was very good indeed.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#20 longboard

longboard
  • Coach
  • 2,361 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:06 PM

I liked some of his early stuff.

His wide vocal range was unusual for someone in mainstream pop/rock. His voice sounds weak on "Where Are They Now" though.

Here's an alternative version of the video:-

Edited by longboard, 12 January 2013 - 04:08 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users