Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

David Bowie

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#21 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:08 PM

Well, I quite liked his 70's and early 80's stuff and his backing band "The Spiders From Mars" were from Hull so he did have summat going for him.

So there.

weren't they an incarnation of the rats?

best band to come out of hull
WELCOME TO THE ROYSTON VASEY SUPER LEAGUE 2015
Keeping it local

#22 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,889 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

I believe so. I await Ullman's more extensive knowledge to confirm this.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#23 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,862 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 09:10 AM

he wasn't a 'trendsetter', he latched onto whatever was cool and 'arty' and took it from there. This went right back to The League Of Long men in the mid sixties, to getting involved with mime later in the decade. How was he 'relevant' in the first place? What was he relevant to?

You were wrong about punk and wrong about Bowie. You don't hae a great track record when it comes to this subject :P.
Fides invicta triumphat

#24 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:24 AM

I believe so. I await Ullman's more extensive knowledge to confirm this.

I might be mistaken but I think Mick Ronson was the only member of The Rats who went on to become one of the Spiders From Mars. There was another link from The Rats to Bowie though and that was drummer John Cambridge, who worked with Bowie before Mick did. It was Cambridge who came back to Hull to recruit Mick for Bowie's band.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#25 dhw

dhw
  • Coach
  • 666 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:44 AM

he wasn't a 'trendsetter', he latched onto whatever was cool and 'arty' and took it from there. This went right back to The League Of Long men in the mid sixties, to getting involved with mime later in the decade. How was he 'relevant' in the first place? What was he relevant to?

An artist who has been hugely influential in various different areas and over a very long period of time. You would struggle to find many British solo artists that have had the same amount of influence. As for being relevant, the amount of interest in his return to the studio amongst art and music critics would show he is still considered relevant and contemporary. This return is about new material and not some retro nostalgia tour it is not clear if he will even tour. Whether he was a trendsetter is largely debatable but there is some truth in it.

You are confusing 'I do not like David Bowie or his music' with him having no relevance.

#26 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:25 PM

I might be mistaken but I think Mick Ronson was the only member of The Rats who went on to become one of the Spiders From Mars. There was another link from The Rats to Bowie though and that was drummer John Cambridge, who worked with Bowie before Mick did. It was Cambridge who came back to Hull to recruit Mick for Bowie's band.

I knew you'd come up with the goods

rthey were a cracking band-before their time in many ways.
Keeping it local

#27 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:31 PM

An artist who has been hugely influential in various different areas and over a very long period of time. You would struggle to find many British solo artists that have had the same amount of influence. As for being relevant, the amount of interest in his return to the studio amongst art and music critics would show he is still considered relevant and contemporary. This return is about new material and not some retro nostalgia tour it is not clear if he will even tour. Whether he was a trendsetter is largely debatable but there is some truth in it.

You are confusing 'I do not like David Bowie or his music' with him having no relevance.

no I asked the poster what he thought Bowie was relevant to. I'm asking you now that you as the other poster did, invoked it in a meaningless way. Influential? In his field and amomgst his admirers-but leeching onto trends asoprting them to look cool and artistic: right from thr lerague of long haired men, lyndsay kemp and mime, the eternally super cool weimar republic, the already bubbling androgynous glam scene and so on. He wrote some good songs, but not many...but that is a value judgement of mine. Most of pop music if not all of it is phoney: Bowie was and seemingly is again an oiutstanding example of it.
Keeping it local

#28 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:46 PM

I knew you'd come up with the goods

rthey were a cracking band-before their time in many ways.

It was my mam who told me many years ago about John Cambridge working with Bowie. She was friends with John's mam.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#29 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Bowie's done lots of stuff over the years that I absolutely love. He's also come out with some dreadfully pretentious codswallop at the same time, often on the same album. 'Hunky Dory' and 'Ziggy Stardust' have some fantastic songs, especially.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#30 Ex-Kirkholt

Ex-Kirkholt
  • Coach
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:47 AM

I have liked Bowie since I first saw him on Top of the Pops in the early/mid-70s. I think Ziggy, Station to Staion and Low are particularly good albums.

He has made a number of mistakes both in some of the records he made and one or two of his pronouncements.

David Bowie is obviously relevant to his audience - they people who like his music.

How was he phoney ? When he made some soul-influenced albums he referred to them as "Plastic Soul" - he knew he wasn't from Philly.

Were the Beatles and the Stones phonies for recording Tamla / R&B originals ? Were the Band phonies for recording in an American style when they were mostly Canadian. Are Kraftwerk phonies for using electronic instruments ?
Looks like it wer' organised by't Pennine League

#31 JohnM

JohnM
  • Coach
  • 20,048 posts

Posted 14 January 2013 - 10:57 AM

Did he ever record "The Emperor's New Clothes"? I have an opinion, he's not my cup of tea. Still, each to his own, live and let live.

#32 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

Ashes to Ashes was a great song but this latest release is atrocious....Radio 2 are creaming themselves over it but it's absolute dirge and possibly the most depressing song I've heard in a long time

#33 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

Ashes to Ashes was a great song

I never understood what it was about?

can you help?
Keeping it local

#34 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 20,397 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:37 PM

A lot of his lyrics are piffle, but the good songs sound good anyway.

'Life on Mars' for instance - "It's on America's tortured brow/that Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow". Anyone?

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#35 chuffer

chuffer
  • Coach
  • 3,542 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 02:49 PM

I never understood what it was about?

can you help?

Nope....but I never pay much attention to lyrics anyway......but the musical composition and arrangement is fantastic

#36 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,454 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 03:09 PM

A lot of his lyrics are piffle, but the good songs sound good anyway.

'Life on Mars' for instance - "It's on America's tortured brow/that Mickey Mouse has grown up a cow". Anyone?

Well yes but surely everybody could relate to 'Sailors fighting in the dance hall'.

#37 Severus

Severus
  • Coach
  • 12,862 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 04:47 PM

Clearly a reference to capitalist America and how Mickey Mouse, symbolic of youthful innocence had become the cash cow for Disney.

See this music critic lark is a doddle. ;)
Fides invicta triumphat

#38 l'angelo mysterioso

l'angelo mysterioso
  • Coach
  • 40,892 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 05:20 PM

Clearly a reference to capitalist America and how Mickey Mouse, symbolic of youthful innocence had become the cash cow for Disney.

See this music critic lark is a doddle. ;)

rhymes with 'brow' in the previous but one line as well.
Keeping it local

#39 back to the future

back to the future
  • Coach
  • 686 posts

Posted 17 January 2013 - 11:48 PM

Bowie's done lots of stuff over the years that I absolutely love. He's also come out with some dreadfully pretentious codswallop at the same time, often on the same album. 'Hunky Dory' and 'Ziggy Stardust' have some fantastic songs, especially.

Agreed but dont most artists,Bowie inspired a later generation of artists,mind you this latest offering is a bit suicidal

#40 John Drake

John Drake
  • Admin
  • 7,627 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

rhymes with 'brow' in the previous but one line as well.

And yet you still deny Bowie's genius...? ;)

John Drake
Site Admin: TotalRL.com
TotalRL.com
Email: john.drake@totalrl.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users