http://www.sthelenss...way/?ref=twtrec

rip dave,

#2 Futtocks

Futtocks
  • Coach
  • 21,577 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 04:15 PM

That's not old at all. :(

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work if it isn’t open. Frank Zappa (1940 - 1993)

#3 Wolford6

Wolford6
  • Coach
  • 10,683 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Way too young and my sympathies go to his family.

When he was a Warrington player, I remember him as being transparently dirty but not evil-minded. I quite liked him.

Under Scrutiny by the Right-On Thought Police

#4 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 13,095 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:10 PM

Very sad news, one of the game's great characters when I first started watching regularly in the mid 1970's.

One particular memory sticks in my mind. Hull were playing Saints at the Boulevard when the players were waiting to form a scrum right in front of the Threepenny Stand. Somebody chucked an empty whisky bottle onto the speedway track and it bounced onto the pitch and slid across the grass, ending up right at the feet of Dave Chisnall. He slowly turned and looked up at all the grinning fans, seemingly staring them out for a few moments, then picked the bottle up and, for all the World it looked like he was going to sling it straight back at the crowd. The chaos that ensued as everybody tried to get out of the way was hilarious. He obviously thought so judging by the big grin on his face. :D

As has already been said, no age to leave us.

RIP Dave.

Untitled_zpsd0bda754.jpg

_60052630_bentham.jpg    "Forward pass, head and feed to New Zealand.....What's that Mr Sutton?, no we can't go to the f***ing video ref!"

#5 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,223 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:51 PM

RIP chizzy.................
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#6 Just Browny

Just Browny
  • Coach
  • 11,844 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 05:57 PM

Very saddened to hear this. RIP Dave. Article from the Warrington Guardian:

http://www.warringto...r_long_illness/

I can confirm 30+ less sales for Scotland vs Italy at Workington, after this afternoons test purchase for the Tonga match, £7.50 is extremely reasonable, however a £2.50 'delivery' fee for a walk in purchase is beyond taking the mickey, good luck with that, it's cheaper on the telly.

#7 Griff

Griff
  • Coach
  • 7,891 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 06:31 PM

Yes - very sad.

Best wishes to his family.
"We'll sell you a seat .... but you'll only need the edge of it!"

#8 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:15 PM

A man mountain and a good old fashion prop.....RIP

Thoughts to the family and friends

#9 amh

amh
  • 11,086 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:23 PM

A legend, a giant of a man, a true gent and ambassador of the sport RIP

Whilst I do not suffer fools gladly, I will always gladly make fools suffer

A man is getting along on the road of wisdom when he realises that his opinion is just an opinion

#10 Ullman

Ullman
  • Coach
  • 7,571 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:38 PM

Very sad news, me and OF were having a laugh about that Dave Chisnall story only a couple of weeks ago. When I think back to those days he's always one of the characters that spring to mind.

"I own up. I am a serial risk taker. I live in a flood zone, cycle without a helmet, drink alcohol and on Sunday I had bacon for breakfast."

#11 Wilderspoolmemories

Wilderspoolmemories
  • Coach
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:52 PM

The ball was passed by the scrum half, to the prop forward,stocky and tall. He dummies, side steps and he's under the sticks,and his name is Dave Chisnall. RIP big fella, you'll be sorely missed. Many fond memories as a young lad of watching you play for Warrington. Had the pleasure of chatting to you sometimes too. A genuine nice fella and one hell of a prop forward. Sleep well.
2009 Warrington 25 Hudderfield 16
2010 Warrington 30 Leeds 6
2011 League Leaders Shield Winners
2012 Warrington 35 Leeds 18

Challenge cups and league leaders shields everywhere! We need more silver polish!

#12 sweaty craiq

sweaty craiq
  • Coach
  • 1,744 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:02 PM

One of Leighs finest and such a shame he missed out on 71. RIP Chissy

#13 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,719 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:25 PM

One of the old school. He'll be missed.
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#14 Exiled Wiganer

Exiled Wiganer
  • Coach
  • 6,333 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

God rest his soul. A great character and a wonderful player.

#15 Saint Billinge

Saint Billinge
  • Coach
  • 2,708 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:03 PM

RIP Dave. Wonderful memories of a great character.

#16 BD92

BD92
  • Coach
  • 7,938 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:13 PM

A character indeed, an entertainer on and off the pitch a nice bloke away from a kit. A lot of sutton lads owe a debt for getting involved with Boilermakers at the time.

R I P Dave thanks for the laughs.
And so the future begins.....

#17 Padge

Padge
  • Coach
  • 18,297 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:34 PM

Great character, greater player, feared and respected for rugby reasons.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

Visit my photography site www.padge.smugmug.com
Radio 5 Live: Saturday 14 April 2007
Dave Whelan "In Wigan rugby will always be king"

This country's wealth was created by men in overalls, it was destroyed by men in suits.

#18 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Nothing to add to whats already been said - A great presence sadly gone to join that team in heaven that seems to be getting stronger and stronger.
RIP
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#19 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:01 AM

RIP Dave.
The following is taken from the Barrow Who's Who written by Dave Huitson, Steve Andrews and myself.
Readers may find it interesting.

Dave

CHISNALL

(1980 to 1981)

Date of birth: 10 April, 1948.
Place of birth: St Helens (Lancashire).
Signed from: St Helens RLFC (on 11 June, 1980) for a fee of £7,500.
Debut: 24 August, 1980 v Warrington (at home).
Last appearance: 30 August, 1981 v Leigh (at home).
Went to: Warrington RLFC (on 19 October, 1981).
Known professional career:
Leigh (1967 to 1971).
Warrington (1971 to 1975).
Swinton (1975 to 1976).
Leigh (1976 to 1977).
St Helens (1977 to 1979).
Barrow (1980 to 1981).
Warrington (1981 to 1984).
Rochdale Hornets (1984).
Mansfield Marksman (1985).
Keighley (1985).

Known family connections:
Brother of Eric (St Helens) and Les (Huyton) who also played professionally.

Record for Barrow RFC:

Total Apps:

38+1

Tries

Starting positions:
Prop Forward (38).
Substitute (1).
Career length: 1 year 7 days.

The much-travelled Dave Chisnall was one of the best prop forwards in the game in the 1970s and 1980s and was a great character too. He was brought to Barrow for the 1980/81 season at a time when coach frank Foster was looking for a pack leader. Dave was seen as the man to do that job and Barrow had no hesitation in paying out the not inconsiderable sum of £7,500 to ensure they got their man. It turned out to be money well spent. Barrow were something of a yo-yo side at this period in time – far too good for Division Two but always fighting relegation when in Division One. Prior to Dave’s arrival the relegation fights had always ended in failure but with the big man leading Barrow around the park they managed to finish the 1980/81 season in a respectable mid-table position in the top league. There was also the added bonus of reaching a major final (for the first time since 1967) when the side reached the final of the John Player Trophy. Unfortunately Barrow lost that game (ironically against one of Dave’s former clubs – Warrington) but the interest generated in the town in the build up to that match was incredible. Dave had played in all but one of Barrow’s matches in 1980/81 and his influence on the team cannot be overstated. Unfortunately, he left Barrow (transferring to Warrington) after playing just three first team matches in 1981/82 but will always be remembered by the Craven Park supporters for his massive contribution to the Barrow cause during his time with the club. Throughout his career Dave was regularly ridiculed and cat-called by opposition supporters for his size. He appeared to be overweight and unfit but a brief look at his career and achievements show this to be far from the case. Dave had begun his Rugby League career in the amateur ranks with Parr Labour Club ARLFC and progressed to the professional ranks when he signed for Leigh RLFC in 1967. Eighteen years (and several clubs) later the curtain came down on a fantastic career when he played his final senior match (for Keighley) in 1985. His love affair with professional Rugby League didn’t end there though. He moved into the coaching side of the game and enjoyed spells as coach to both the Leigh RLFC and St Helens RLFC Alliance teams before reappearing briefly at senior level as head coach to Runcorn (from June 1989 to October 1990). During his long and illustrious career Dave played well in excess of 500 senior professional matches and amassed somewhere in the region of 80 tries. He was a Lancashire and Great Britain player and toured Australasia with the Great Britain squad in 1970. These statistics set Dave aside as one of the greatest forwards in the history of the game. He probably enjoyed his best days in Rugby League during his two spells with the Warrington club. The following profile is taken from the book “Warrington RLFC – 100 Greats”, which was written by Eddie Fuller and Gary Slater:
Dave Chisnall was one of Warrington’s greatest entertainers, being a prop-forward with a sense of humour and a flair for the dramatic. During his first spell with the club, ‘Chissie’ was one of the best props in the business, winning 4 England caps and making 5 appearances for Lancashire. The front row of Chisnall, hooker Kevin Ashcroft and blindside-prop Brian Brady was the foundation for much of the remarkable success achieved by Alex Murphy's team. Billy Benyon brought Chisnall back to Wilderspool in October 1981 for his strength, experience and bare-faced cheek. Against Bradford Northern at Wilderspool in September 1982, for example, Chisnall scored an outrageous try when he twice sold dummies to would-be tacklers on the half-way line before charging clear to touch down at the Railway End. Chisnall had first signed for Warrington more than a decade earlier, in August 1971, when Murphy paid Leigh a club record £8,000 for the 5ft 9in, sixteen stone forward. The following month he was sent off for flattening Peter Walker, the Bradford hooker, and banned for six matches, but he soon settled down to become one of the leading lights in the team. For three seasons, Chisnall hardly missed a match as Warrington won the League Leaders' rose bowl (1972/73), the Captain Morgan Trophy, the Player's No.6 Trophy, the Challenge Cup and the Club Championship (all 1973/74) and reached the BBC2 Floodlit Trophy final and Challenge Cup final again (both in 1974/75). Chisnall was the Warrington captain for the return trip to Wembley but, five months later, he fell out with Murphy and was sold to Swinton for £5,000. Spells with Leigh, St Helens and Barrow followed before he returned to Wilderspool. ‘It was an incredible honour for me to captain the side at Wembley,’ said Chisnall. ‘It was such a huge occasion. I was quite calm after we'd won it the year before but it was terribly disappointing when we lost. Playing at Wilderspool was always special, particularly in the big games. We had a big rivalry with Featherstone and Dewsbury during my first spell with the club and the ground was always packed when they came to play. I enjoyed coming back to play at the ground when I was at other clubs too. The fans always treated me as one of their own and there was a great rapport.’

Posted Image

#20 Leeds Wire

Leeds Wire
  • Coach
  • 3,883 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:04 AM

RIP Chizzy.

I'll never forget him sticking the ball up his jumper once at Wilderspool. I think it was Barrow we were playing, winning by about 50 points with 5 minutes left.

He took a pass and tried to shove the ball up his incredibly tight jumper. The ref penalised him and he just grinned.

I have several great memories of the big man.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users