TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

There must be one plot of land in London where the Broncos can build there own stadium?

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Or at least one local council body which could see the benefits of inviting a sporting club from one of Britains top professional leagues. Greenwich would be a good local borough for us and it's one of London's largest councils.
How about buying Richmond rugby ground, renovating it and becoming primary tenants, there is also blackheaths ground. Can't believe we are still asking these questions after all these years of super league.

#2 guess who

guess who
  • Coach
  • 4,049 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 07:58 PM

Or at least one local council body which could see the benefits of inviting a sporting club from one of Britains top professional leagues. Greenwich would be a good local borough for us and it's one of London's largest councils.
How about buying Richmond rugby ground, renovating it and becoming primary tenants, there is also blackheaths ground. Can't believe we are still asking these questions after all these years of super league.

Could any council afford to build a stadium for a few thousand people. Especially with money being to tight?

#3 RSN

RSN
  • Coach
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Finding the money and a decent crowd support need to come before finding the land for a stadium.

#4 Father Ted

Father Ted
  • Coach
  • 1,654 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:10 PM

How many Rugby League fans could be found near Old Dear Park in Richmond?
Not too many I suspect.
Agree with the sentiments though. Twickers isn't working and an alternative needs to be found.
Where it would be is the very difficult one.

#5 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:11 PM

they should have taken over one of the two olympic hockey stadiums and reconfigured it into a rugby stadium...

and i said that 3 years ago!

OLDHAM RLFC
the 8TH most successful team in british RL

#6 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:23 PM

they should have taken over one of the two olympic hockey stadiums and reconfigured it into a rugby stadium...

Don't think Stratford is the right catchment area for the Broncos tbh.

#7 Gav Wilson

Gav Wilson
  • Coach
  • 3,307 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

They were only temporary 'stadiums' mate. They'll be all over the country by now, probably preparing for a golf tournament or something.

As for the OP, I completely agree. Just build it in whichever borough has the magic money tree... Although Brentford might be after a new lodger for their new 20k capacity ground!
Posted Image

#8 The Daddy_merged

The Daddy_merged
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:27 PM

Could any council afford to build a stadium for a few thousand people. Especially with money being to tight?

Not asking for them to build a stadium for us but could maybe sell us a plot of land on the cheap or ask us to take residence of one of the many run down sporting arenas in London and refurbish it.

#9 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:47 PM

the riverbank hockey arena had 5,000 permenant seats...the rest of it was temporary

OLDHAM RLFC

#10 gingerjon

gingerjon
  • Coach
  • 29,458 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:56 PM

the riverbank hockey arena had 5,000 permenant seats...the rest of it was temporary

You're muddling the hockey arena and the Eton Manor venue.

And either way it's irrelevant as neither could be reconfigured for rugby.
Cheer up, RL is actually rather good
- Severus, July 2012

#11 dogthebountyhunter

dogthebountyhunter
  • Coach
  • 436 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

Wimbledon looking to build a ground
Barnet moving to a new ground
Brentford looking into building a new ground
Wasps struggling at Wycombe

Four clubs, all of them that can be approached with a view to sharing costs and/or getting funding....

Imagine if in 1895 they had internet forums.............rugby league would not exist!

#12 The 4 of Us

The 4 of Us
  • Coach
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:25 PM

There is a very well located stadium on a plot of land for which the LA I understand are quite keen to be relieved of the responsibility. Their opponents today play in it.

You could have a very good RL centre of excellence there and room for a 12-15,000 stadium which would be ample big enough. Oh and it's on White Hart Lane.

#13 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:31 PM

They don't have any money, even if they had a field for free, they could not afford to build a stadium.

#14 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

n I said they should have stuck at Brentford, got RFL dosh to help do it up, with Brentfords assistance, then turned it into Londons RL Arena
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#15 Northern Sol

Northern Sol
  • 17,307 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

The RFL don't have any money, when will people understand this?

#16 noname6

noname6
  • Coach
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:46 PM

(without reading any of the posts)

the rfl should pay for it :rolleyes:

#17 Kenilworth Tiger

Kenilworth Tiger
  • Coach
  • 9,017 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:49 PM

THEIR own stadium not THERE own stadium FFS!!
Now then, it's a race between Sandie....and Fairburn....and the little man is in........yeees he's in.

I, just like those Castleford supporters felt that the ball should have gone to David Plange but he put the bit betwen his teeth...and it was a try

Kevin Ward - best player I have ever seen

Posted Image

The real Mick Gledhill is what you see on here, a Bradford fan ........, but deep down knows that Bradford are just not good enough to challenge the likes of Leeds & St Helens.

#18 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

There is a very well located stadium on a plot of land for which the LA I understand are quite keen to be relieved of the responsibility. Their opponents today play in it.

You could have a very good RL centre of excellence there and room for a 12-15,000 stadium which would be ample big enough. Oh and it's on White Hart Lane.

I've thought that the same thing since I lived down there. One snag is I think it's still used f

#19 Pottsy

Pottsy
  • Coach
  • 3,541 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 11:44 PM

I've thought that the same thing since I lived down there. One snag is I think it's still used for athletics.

In an ideal world it'd be great to have an RL hub in the capital though

#20 roughyedspud

roughyedspud
  • Coach
  • 4,090 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:23 AM

You're muddling the hockey arena and the Eton Manor venue.

And either way it's irrelevant as neither could be reconfigured for rugby.

it could have been if london broncos & the RFL had been pro active 3 or 4 years ago and got involved at the planning stages...

OLDHAM RLFC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users