Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Dave chisnall

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 08:35 PM

R.I.P. Dave Chisnall another great player gone to the great rugby team in the sky thoughts are with is family

#2 Baaarrow

Baaarrow
  • Coach
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:38 PM

That's really sad. Great player and true rugby league character. One of the last of the old fashioned ball-handling prop forwards. RIP

Posted Image

#3 Blue moon

Blue moon
  • Coach
  • 253 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:56 PM

Just read about this on sky news, such a shame.

#4 richie keay

richie keay

Tipping Comp Winner

• Coach
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

I loved watching Dave when I was a young supporter, I remember him playing for Warrington I think it was; after he had just left Barrow; my dad was giving him some lip as he had just got sent off, I used to go to the games in those days on the back of my dads scooter, he used to keep the helmets in a blue and white bag against the advertising hoardings, I remember him walking off with the bag as he passed us down the touchline. We had to get the coppers to get the bag back.

Rip Dave.

Edited by richie keay, 12 January 2013 - 01:26 AM.

Posted Image

#5 Oracle

Oracle
  • Coach
  • 467 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 03:31 AM

tragic loss. Was fortunate enough to have been coached by Chisey when i first started off playing. One hell of a coach and a great player as well.

"is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse?"

#6 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:57 AM

RIP Dave.
The following is taken from the Barrow Who's Who written by Dave Huitson, Steve Andrews and myself.
Readers may find it interesting.

Dave

CHISNALL

(1980 to 1981)

Date of birth: 10 April, 1948.
Place of birth: St Helens (Lancashire).
Signed from: St Helens RLFC (on 11 June, 1980) for a fee of £7,500.
Debut: 24 August, 1980 v Warrington (at home).
Last appearance: 30 August, 1981 v Leigh (at home).
Went to: Warrington RLFC (on 19 October, 1981).
Known professional career:
Leigh (1967 to 1971).
Warrington (1971 to 1975).
Swinton (1975 to 1976).
Leigh (1976 to 1977).
St Helens (1977 to 1979).
Barrow (1980 to 1981).
Warrington (1981 to 1984).
Rochdale Hornets (1984).
Mansfield Marksman (1985).
Keighley (1985).

Known family connections:
Brother of Eric (St Helens) and Les (Huyton) who also played professionally.

Record for Barrow RFC:

Total Apps:

38+1

Tries

Starting positions:
Prop Forward (38).
Substitute (1).
Career length: 1 year 7 days.

The much-travelled Dave Chisnall was one of the best prop forwards in the game in the 1970s and 1980s and was a great character too. He was brought to Barrow for the 1980/81 season at a time when coach frank Foster was looking for a pack leader. Dave was seen as the man to do that job and Barrow had no hesitation in paying out the not inconsiderable sum of £7,500 to ensure they got their man. It turned out to be money well spent. Barrow were something of a yo-yo side at this period in time – far too good for Division Two but always fighting relegation when in Division One. Prior to Dave’s arrival the relegation fights had always ended in failure but with the big man leading Barrow around the park they managed to finish the 1980/81 season in a respectable mid-table position in the top league. There was also the added bonus of reaching a major final (for the first time since 1967) when the side reached the final of the John Player Trophy. Unfortunately Barrow lost that game (ironically against one of Dave’s former clubs – Warrington) but the interest generated in the town in the build up to that match was incredible. Dave had played in all but one of Barrow’s matches in 1980/81 and his influence on the team cannot be overstated. Unfortunately, he left Barrow (transferring to Warrington) after playing just three first team matches in 1981/82 but will always be remembered by the Craven Park supporters for his massive contribution to the Barrow cause during his time with the club. Throughout his career Dave was regularly ridiculed and cat-called by opposition supporters for his size. He appeared to be overweight and unfit but a brief look at his career and achievements show this to be far from the case. Dave had begun his Rugby League career in the amateur ranks with Parr Labour Club ARLFC and progressed to the professional ranks when he signed for Leigh RLFC in 1967. Eighteen years (and several clubs) later the curtain came down on a fantastic career when he played his final senior match (for Keighley) in 1985. His love affair with professional Rugby League didn’t end there though. He moved into the coaching side of the game and enjoyed spells as coach to both the Leigh RLFC and St Helens RLFC Alliance teams before reappearing briefly at senior level as head coach to Runcorn (from June 1989 to October 1990). During his long and illustrious career Dave played well in excess of 500 senior professional matches and amassed somewhere in the region of 80 tries. He was a Lancashire and Great Britain player and toured Australasia with the Great Britain squad in 1970. These statistics set Dave aside as one of the greatest forwards in the history of the game. He probably enjoyed his best days in Rugby League during his two spells with the Warrington club. The following profile is taken from the book “Warrington RLFC – 100 Greats”, which was written by Eddie Fuller and Gary Slater:
Dave Chisnall was one of Warrington’s greatest entertainers, being a prop-forward with a sense of humour and a flair for the dramatic. During his first spell with the club, ‘Chissie’ was one of the best props in the business, winning 4 England caps and making 5 appearances for Lancashire. The front row of Chisnall, hooker Kevin Ashcroft and blindside-prop Brian Brady was the foundation for much of the remarkable success achieved by Alex Murphy's team. Billy Benyon brought Chisnall back to Wilderspool in October 1981 for his strength, experience and bare-faced cheek. Against Bradford Northern at Wilderspool in September 1982, for example, Chisnall scored an outrageous try when he twice sold dummies to would-be tacklers on the half-way line before charging clear to touch down at the Railway End. Chisnall had first signed for Warrington more than a decade earlier, in August 1971, when Murphy paid Leigh a club record £8,000 for the 5ft 9in, sixteen stone forward. The following month he was sent off for flattening Peter Walker, the Bradford hooker, and banned for six matches, but he soon settled down to become one of the leading lights in the team. For three seasons, Chisnall hardly missed a match as Warrington won the League Leaders' rose bowl (1972/73), the Captain Morgan Trophy, the Player's No.6 Trophy, the Challenge Cup and the Club Championship (all 1973/74) and reached the BBC2 Floodlit Trophy final and Challenge Cup final again (both in 1974/75). Chisnall was the Warrington captain for the return trip to Wembley but, five months later, he fell out with Murphy and was sold to Swinton for £5,000. Spells with Leigh, St Helens and Barrow followed before he returned to Wilderspool. ‘It was an incredible honour for me to captain the side at Wembley,’ said Chisnall. ‘It was such a huge occasion. I was quite calm after we'd won it the year before but it was terribly disappointing when we lost. Playing at Wilderspool was always special, particularly in the big games. We had a big rivalry with Featherstone and Dewsbury during my first spell with the club and the ground was always packed when they came to play. I enjoyed coming back to play at the ground when I was at other clubs too. The fans always treated me as one of their own and there was a great rapport.’

Edited by Keith Nutter, 12 January 2013 - 10:01 AM.

Posted Image

#7 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:30 AM

Good post Keith.
I was going to put some of this on but knew you would sue for breach of copyright. LOL

I know it's more work but is there any chance of putting on here the names of players that have passed on since your book was written. I always intended to make a note myself but never got round to it. I know there are quite a few.

Posted Image

#8 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 10:51 AM

Good post Keith.
I was going to put some of this on but knew you would sue for breach of copyright. LOL

I know it's more work but is there any chance of putting on here the names of players that have passed on since your book was written. I always intended to make a note myself but never got round to it. I know there are quite a few.

A good idea Michael but if missed just one person off the list some idiot on here would complain so therefore I reluctantly won't do it. This forum has degenerated into a vehicle for critics and I won't feed their need!

Posted Image

#9 Bob247

Bob247
  • Coach
  • 147 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 06:43 PM

That,s a real same that Keith you always get one to spoil it for the rest as it would have bean interesting to know who they are

#10 morty

morty
  • Coach
  • 2,128 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

RIP Dave. I used to love watching him play for us in the blue with white vee shirts absolutely brilliant prop and was suprisingly quick for a big guy.

condolances to his family

Lee

Lee Morton

Raiders have risen from the ashes

#11 soss

soss
  • Coach
  • 1,720 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 09:52 PM

I'm sure no one would have a go keith..I really think it would be nice even if you are reminded about the very few that maybe missed...I would like to see anyone with a better knowledge of barrow than you..

The fox running with the hounds

When you are in deep trouble, say nothing, and try to look as though you know what you're doing

#12 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 08:14 AM

I'm sure no one would have a go keith..I really think it would be nice even if you are reminded about the very few that maybe missed...I would like to see anyone with a better knowledge of barrow than you..

Cheers Mike but Dave Huitson and Steve Andrews know as much (maybe more) than me :).
I'll try to get a list together if I can.

Posted Image

#13 Plan of Attack

Plan of Attack
  • Coach
  • 767 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 11:27 AM

A good idea Michael but if missed just one person off the list some idiot on here would complain so therefore I reluctantly won't do it. This forum has degenerated into a vehicle for critics and I won't feed their need!

Keith, what might be an idea is to publish a supplementary book to your 2008 book of who,s who for Barrow Rugby with all the players who have played since and updates on older players. This could be a way of raising funds for the floodlights :D

#14 Michael Ashton

Michael Ashton
  • Coach
  • 5,508 posts

Posted 13 January 2013 - 12:12 PM

I'd certainly buy one but I'm only too aware of the amount of work put in by Keith,Steve & Dave.

Posted Image

#15 Keith Nutter

Keith Nutter
  • Coach
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 15 January 2013 - 04:56 PM

Keith, what might be an idea is to publish a supplementary book to your 2008 book of who,s who for Barrow Rugby with all the players who have played since and updates on older players. This could be a way of raising funds for the floodlights :D

Good idea Kev - I considered this and mentioned it to Dave an Steve some time ago. We are all keen to update the book but it would just take too much time and it is doubtful we would get it out in time.
The good news is that I am about 80% through writing a 154 page A4 sized book about all Barrow's cup final appearances and will shortly be looking for subscribers and page sponsors so watch this space in the next few weeks.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users