Rugby League World - Grand Finals Issue

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD - THE GRAND FINALS ISSUE - OUT 17 OCT OR DOWNLOAD IT NOW!
Try our Fantastic 4-Issue Bundle Offer:
For just £14, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:

The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final drama from both hemispheres plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Marketing / media / communications ideas

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 mahtsalleh

mahtsalleh
  • Players
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 02:49 AM

"Nick D - I went on the Bradford website yesterday and could find no mention of Sundays game"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went on the Dewsbury website today and could find no mention of Sunday's game.
So, as a combined effort, this seems an example of rather mediocre marketing strategy?

#2 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:36 AM

The Bradford game has been mentioned and previewed at the bottom of every e-release the club has sent out for the last two weeks (about ten e-releases in total). In Monday's e-release, Jy-mel Coleman spoke about his hope that Rams fans would support the club at this Sunday's match. One of the tiles on the home page states that our next home game is against Bradford. There's an Event page on Facebook generating interest in the game. Glenn is Tweeting about it on Twitter. I will be sending out an e-release today or tomorrow with quotes from Glenn, info and team news for Sunday's game.

Is there anything else you feel the club could be doing?

#3 alienboy

alienboy
  • Coach
  • 368 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:32 AM

It wasn't on the board outside the ground at 9.15pm yesterday. Still had Halifax game on.

#4 andyram

andyram
  • Coach
  • 993 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Really do think the the promotion and markering side of things from the Rams side of things have really been good so far,would it be possible to promote two games on the board outside the ground,when we are playing two Sundays in a row?This would let people know of up coming matches well in advanced and save time changing it over in quick time.

#5 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:03 AM

The Bradford game has been mentioned and previewed at the bottom of every e-release the club has sent out for the last two weeks (about ten e-releases in total). In Monday's e-release, Jy-mel Coleman spoke about his hope that Rams fans would support the club at this Sunday's match. One of the tiles on the home page states that our next home game is against Bradford. There's an Event page on Facebook generating interest in the game. Glenn is Tweeting about it on Twitter. I will be sending out an e-release today or tomorrow with quotes from Glenn, info and team news for Sunday's game.

I know this might be stating the obvious, but it is just as important to get the bulls fans on board - not questioning your efforts Tom, but have the Bradford press been asked to give the match plenty of publicity. I think sometimes that too many organisations (including rugby clubs) assume that everybody has or even wants a computer.

#6 Rammo23

Rammo23
  • Coach
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Not everyone has a computer or laptop but I would imagine nearly all of us have a mobile phone that has internet these days it has been mentioned along with the batley and Halifax games so what is all the fuss about you don't have to drive past the ground to find out when the next game is or who the opposition will be

#7 grumpyoldram

grumpyoldram
  • Coach
  • 2,729 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:53 AM

Not everyone has a computer or laptop but I would imagine nearly all of us have a mobile phone that has internet these days it has been mentioned along with the batley and Halifax games so what is all the fuss about you don't have to drive past the ground to find out when the next game is or who the opposition will be

You would imagine wrong Rammo - my mobile rings numbers or receives calls - end of. Like many of the older end, I don't feel the need to be continually connected to the social networks, and for many, the only way they can receive info is via the press (amazing i know). Like I said though, the bulls fans need to be made aware of the match by all possible means.

#8 landy13

landy13
  • Coach
  • 203 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:23 PM

The only mention of the game I could find on the bulls website was a brief mention at the bottom of the article about the Danny McGuire Testimonial tickets now being available, saying it was pay on the day only

Edited by landy13, 09 January 2013 - 12:32 PM.

www.matchdayphotography.com

#9 NickD

NickD
  • Coach
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 12:49 PM

"Nick D - I went on the Bradford website yesterday and could find no mention of Sundays game"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I went on the Dewsbury website today and could find no mention of Sunday's game.
So, as a combined effort, this seems an example of rather mediocre marketing strategy?

To be fair i think Tom and others at the Rams have done a pretty good job of marketing in the last few weeks / months. There is info on the match on our web site and it does feature in the fixtures section. As mentioned earlier I couldnt find anything at all on the Bulls site.

#10 legin

legin
  • Players
  • 85 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:37 PM

Nothing on RFL website re Bulls game .
Tom you'll have to send them data of the game ?

#11 Heckler

Heckler
  • Coach
  • 421 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:48 PM

Nothing on RFL website re Bulls game .
Tom you'll have to send them data of the game ?

The majority of Sunday's fixtures aren't on the RFL website but they have this:

Dewsbury Rams v Bradford Bulls 3pm
Ref G Stokes TJ T Martin TJ R Webb

#12 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:27 PM

All friendlies are cleared with the RFL first, as it's there job to send us a ref, so they already have data of the game.

I have very limited control over how much coverage the Bulls give the friendly, but I did co-ordinate a Telegraph & Argus interview with Glenn, which will appear as a prominent story in Thursday's edition.

I am also in regular contact with Ryan Sparks at The Press and Andy Hunt at the Reporter. The Press covers both clubs equally, but the balance of coverage between the Bulldogs and the Rams in recent months (think we've had the lead story on 12 of the last 16 back pages) suggests that the club's relationship with the paper is as good as it's ever been.

I'm not based at the Stadium, except on match days, so can't change the fixtures board myself. I will get the message to the club to get this changed though.

#13 coolie

coolie
  • Coach
  • 3,858 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:36 PM

Ok how about for all the old foggies that are not apart of the 21st century with facebook,twitter or even email.
on wednesdays and saturdays in the town as its market days and most older people visit the town on these days...promotional pushes of the fixtures are the town.

just an idea

#14 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 05:17 PM

Ok how about for all the old foggies that are not apart of the 21st century with facebook,twitter or even email.
on wednesdays and saturdays in the town as its market days and most older people visit the town on these days...promotional pushes of the fixtures are the town.

just an idea

Or a bloke walking around with a sandwich board/

That's how they used to do it in GOR's day I reckon.

Those of us who are young (at heart) of course have smart 'phones, t'interweb, social media etc.

Anyway, I thought we were concentrating on appealing to the youth for our future.

B) B) B)
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#15 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:33 PM

You can never have enough publicity but for those of you who want to do more, why not post it yourself on a few fans forums?

There's the main forum, you could sign up for the Bulls forum and post on there. Like Tom says he has no say in what the Bulls put on their website.

You can write to RL papers, write to the Press and Reporter (and yes I have done both in the past) just saying how things are improving at the Rams etc...they have pretty much printed every letter/email I ever sent.

The Rams have never been better publicised than since Tom took over, but there is a limit to what one person can do. It is easy to stand on the sideline criticising, but nothing stopping anyone helping. The more the merrier.

Why not help out? And think it is really up to the club to change the match details at the ground.

#16 Blind side johnny

Blind side johnny
  • Coach
  • 9,657 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

You can never have enough publicity but for those of you who want to do more, why not post it yourself on a few fans forums?

There's the main forum, you could sign up for the Bulls forum and post on there. Like Tom says he has no say in what the Bulls put on their website.

You can write to RL papers, write to the Press and Reporter (and yes I have done both in the past) just saying how things are improving at the Rams etc...they have pretty much printed every letter/email I ever sent.

The Rams have never been better publicised than since Tom took over, but there is a limit to what one person can do. It is easy to stand on the sideline criticising, but nothing stopping anyone helping. The more the merrier.

Why not help out? And think it is really up to the club to change the match details at the ground.

+1
Believe what you see, don't see what you believe.

John Ray (1627 - 1705)

#17 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:24 PM

+1

I kind of + 1/2

But the Rams is not a community club, it is a business. Would you go to Mcdonalds and then start handing out flyers at work?

Poor advertising is down to two things, costs and poor advertising.

I know the club is skint and that Roger does (or did last season) a helluva job promoting things in schools and the community etc. But general game day advertising should be down to the club and I could list a number of things that club could be doing and isn't (just as others have)
Honestly, without searching I couldn't tell you the time or cost of this weeks friendly and if I wasnt a fan of Dewsbury I wouldnt even know this game was taking place since Ive seen absolutely nothing to tell me it is (outside of the fan channels such as this forum)

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#18 Tom Coates

Tom Coates
  • 1,124 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:14 PM

You'll know the admission prices tomorrow when the match preview e-release goes out. The kick-off time of the friendly was confirmed here and there'll be a boat load of coverage on Thursday in the T&A, and on Friday the Reporter and The Press.

For the first time, we have formal links with both local newspapers, and as a result enjoy excellent coverage within the sport and news sections in both

Save for an influx of volunteers or a generous financial investment in our media activities - there's not much more the club can do.

Enjoying the discussion though. Keep the ideas coming and I'll do what I can!

#19 funkmaster flex

funkmaster flex
  • Coach
  • 599 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:26 PM

They could put up a couple of posters around town or at the very least on the board outside the ground (which apparently isn't there)

No doubt the e releases have been plentiful and good since you came on board, but it seems to me the advertising is limited to the faithful or those that read either:

- The Press which is a sensationalist right wing rag with the occasional decent local story.
- The Reporter which is so far detracted from real life and real issues it is almost a novel.

There is almost 60,000 people in Dewsbury (second only to Huddersfield in Kirklees) and with circulation of the Reporter hitting around 20,000 of these and the Press being in trouble for lying about their circulation figures it is safe to assume that you are hitting around third of Dewsbury.

Lets look at Batley Bulldogs - With an average attendence of 1113 out of a population of 45,900 that means about 2.4% of Batley are turning up for games.

But then Dewsbury with its population of 58,200 and an average attendence of 1134 means that 1.9% of people are turning up for games.

With a similar demographic that is quite a substantial difference.

If we compare these to our nearest Super League team then Huddersfield has a population of 128,000 with an average gate of 7709 meaning 6% of the population are turning up for games. Yet here we don't have a similar demographic, Huddersfield is home to some 24,000 students of which (when the £5 student ticket offer was live) around 150 used to attend the games regularly. So if we adjust for that, we have a population of 104,000 meaning 7.4% attend games. Ok, this is an unfair comparison since they are the elite league, but interesting nonetheless.

I know we have "lies, lies and damned statistics" but the reality is in figures, we are not hitting the numbers we could and if getting a third of the population is ok for you then fair enough. But to me that leaves over 38,000 people in our town not being targeted and goes some way in explaining why we fall behind Batley and why our stands are often fairly sparse.

*edit* attendence figures include away fans since I couldn't find reliable home figures and so our % average is even less.

Edited by funkmaster flex, 09 January 2013 - 11:14 PM.

Living life and loving every second

http://www.summerhol.com

#20 Wakefield Ram

Wakefield Ram
  • 1,614 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:15 PM

So how do we reach the other 38,000 at a low cost?

Mail shot? Posters seen by far less than any newspaper and would they really make people turn up?

Advertising is about making a cost-effective return. If the club are getting near enough free coverage to a third of the local populations, mthat is something most businesses would give their right arm for.

Comparing the percentage populations attending between Batley and Dewsbury ignores the success of the team and also the impact of the away support. I would guess away fans who go to Batley probably also go to Dewsbury and this is in Batley's favour. Statistically there is not much difference between the clubs support v population.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users